Sharman-Caselli deck or Llewellyn?

Audelia

Like many of the people here, the Sharman-Caselli was my first proper tarot deck and I absolutely love it (I still do!). I found the cardstock to be fine. My own deck is very old and well-worn but it's still perfect for doing readings and I find that some of my sitters think it's more 'authentic' if I produce such a well-loved and worn deck for readings.

It's so easy to understand and I found that with that deck my intuition really came to the fore in my readings. While I've retired it for personal readings, every so often I'll take it out for nostalgia's sake and it's still spot on every single time. It just speaks to me and I believe it sparked my love affair with the actual RWS deck. I highly recommend it :)

Thoughtful

l would recommend the Sharman-Caselli deck for all the reasons that have been stated here. It's a delightful tarot and one l used way back, l also used it to teach budding tarot newbies. The colours are clear and not too bright, there is a lovely charm about it and a very welcoming feel which comes from it.
Like Audelia l bring it out for old times sake and would not part with it.

mah jong

To answer the question in upthread about card stock quality: The card stock is on the thinner side. The edges of my abused deck are bit rough and they stick a bit as a result when shuffling.

garmonbozia

Thanks! The Umbrae method of aging a deck. I sometimes use step one to "soften" the feel of stiff new decks. The Sharman-Caselli got the full treatment plus some.

I wish I was brave enough to try something like that. I can't even muster up the courage to trim a deck!

I would definitely have to try it out on a back-up deck of something in print, cheap, and mass produced.

greatdane

Thanks Mah Jong

The reviews I read on Amazon didn't seem promising regarding the stock. I always find it such a shame when a deck isn't done on decent stock. I suppose if one only collected decks and never used them, it wouldn't matter as much.

MoonGypsy

The reviews I read on Amazon didn't seem promising regarding the stock. I always find it such a shame when a deck isn't done on decent stock. I suppose if one only collected decks and never used them, it wouldn't matter as much.

i used to have that deck. i don't ever remember having an abnormal problem with the
cardstock. [and i did use it quite a bit] But maybe i wasn't as fussy as i am now...:p
i have definitely had worse cardstock...

i wonder if different editions had different cardstock?

greatdane

Good Question, MoonGypsy

That could be the case. And I think there were two sizes? Didn't one come with a "kit" or something? A smaller deck and a book?

I have seen this deck more than once and thought it looked quite nice, but I admit the remarks re the stock put me off getting it and I'm not that hard on cardstock.

Lee

That could be the case. And I think there were two sizes? Didn't one come with a "kit" or something? A smaller deck and a book?
I have a set called "Complete Tarot Pack" which has a revised version of Sharman-Burke's first tarot book, a Sharman-Caselli deck, and a black-and-white version of the deck for coloring.

Seraphina

QUESTION please for those who have it. Cardstock? I have read the cardstock isn't great. I know there are two decks out there, correct? One smaller, one larger, I think. Could any who have this deck comment on the stock? I'm not that hard on decks, but it's good to know what the cardstock is like.

There are 2 decks GD, I think they are both the same size though, the first one I bought over 10 years ago when I was still learning tarot, I liked the images and I wanted an easy deck to learn with, but the colours were not as clear as they should have been, on some decks there were printing issues, some images were a bit wishy washy, and the card stock was a little on the thin side

Then they revamped it, sturdier card stock and deeper colouring, the colours just pop! second deck, in my opinion, is better all round then the first. I no longer have it though, I sold it on eBay years ago.

MoonGypsy

Then they revamped it, sturdier card stock and deeper colouring, the colours just pop! second deck, in my opinion, is better all round then the first. I no longer have it though, I sold it on eBay years ago.

i must have had that one, as the colors were very nice and bright and
i remember there being no issues with the card stock...:)