Should I make the offer?

HearthCricket

Last night we went to our local New Age store that has been open for a little over a year. It is owned and run by a lovely, super friendly group of people, and has great stock, but a bit limited in certain areas. During a conversation, last night, the owner was all excited to find out about some book describing tarrock and tarrochi and how tarot derived from playing cards. My heart sunk. I mean, she sells tarot, and doesn't know a thing about it. She is super sweet, but I wonder. Should I make the offer of listing decks I think would sell well at her store? Should I have her over for tea and show her my collection? The Kaplan Encyclopedias? She never heard of a Visconti deck. I don't think she even knows the various kinds (Thoth, Marseilles, RW, etc.) Do I take a gamble and make a deal? I will sit down with you and teach you whatever I know about tarot and you can give me a gift certficate to your store? Thoughts?

fferyllt

Maybe you could start by taking in one of your decks to show her something different, or one of your books, or something like that. Feel out the situation, to see how she responds to you, if she really wants to learn that much. And to see how much you actually like teaching her what you know. If you develop a bit of a relationship with her, then you can decide if you want to offer more.

HearthCricket

fferyllt said:
Maybe you could start by taking in one of your decks to show her something different, or one of your books, or something like that. Feel out the situation, to see how she responds to you, if she really wants to learn that much. And to see how much you actually like teaching her what you know. If you develop a bit of a relationship with her, then you can decide if you want to offer more.

Well, we already are quite friendly. I walk in, she waves and says hello from the other side of the store and waves goodbye if she is on the phone, etc. I have brought the BBC's in and gifted them with a few decks. Last night I was behind the counter, on their computer, showing them the Bohemian Gothic Tarot, chatting away, until 7 people were behind me, glued to the screen. That was fun! I think she would take it in a good way. Maybe not the part where I would love a store credit! Maybe I should just have her over and show her my collection and make a friend and leave money out of it.

Abrac

HearthCricket said:
Maybe I should just have her over and show her my collection and make a friend and leave money out of it.
I think you may be onto something here. In any case, it seems like a good idea to decide if you want this to be a friendship or business relationship, as trying to merge the two can often get messy. It does seem odd that someone at a New Age shop wouldn't know anything about Tarot cards, but I've noticed that in the retail sales business, a lot of times personality is given preference over competence these days. It's all part of the plastic, image-driven world we live in.

Seafra

I hope this doesn't sound like I am so open minded that my brains could fall out, but it would benefit not only the store owner but also future shoppers who are interested Tarot if you were to help her out. It would be such an ... Hierophantical thing to do (!)

You could ask if she was interested in bartering - your knowledge for store credit. Almost like a consultant. Then you would be Queen of Pents!

Blessings - Seafra

Elnor

She would probably appreciate your suggestions as to which decks would be most likely to sell.
Maybe she would agree to letting you do readings there?

elnor

Cat Rioux

I’m new to this forum so I hope I’m not speaking out of turn. Have you thought about offering to teach a few simple classes and maybe give the class to employees of the store for free or at a good discount?

Merenwen

HearthCricket said:
That was fun! I think she would take it in a good way. Maybe not the part where I would love a store credit! Maybe I should just have her over and show her my collection and make a friend and leave money out of it.
I think you said it yourself. If you had fun, it's something you like doing. If you had other people around you, the interest is there. And money I think should not come into it if you're trying to achieve friendship. She'll probably take it the wrong way if you start talking money. Unless it's a business relationship you want.

Maybe if you show her the list of decks just on this site ( http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/list.shtml ), she'll realise how much there is on offer and how little she knows about it. And then you can offer to help with suggestions, brings yours in etc. And see where it goes. I wouldn't offer to teach her unless she mentions to you she'd like to know how to use them or asks if you know a teacher.

MareSaturni

I've seen two similar things happen.

Here, in many New Age stores, the employees are 'trained' for common things. They know that this candle is for love, this incense for good energies, and this bell is to call the wind elementals. They don't practice it, they read it on the little paper that came with the product. OR, more likely, they have been taught by the store owner, who usually KNOWS more about 'occult' things.

So, if the shop is small and doesn't have many employees, some times you can talk to the owner and discuss such things, if they are open-minded. And i hope the girl you are talking about is - specially if she got so excited, probably she wouldn't mind learning from someone who has many yaers of Tarot study and practice, such as you.

However, some shop owners (and that happened to me)...they like to say they are mages or witches. They read tarot, and they bless the incenses of their shop themselves. And it's is great. But they usually don't want you to discuss what they have said. They get offended, because (specially if they have many clients) they 'know' - and who are you to suggest they might be wrong???
I once tried to discuss something with a shop owner and ended up with all her employees and the clients looking at me as if i was a ignorant trying to show off. Hey, i'm sorry, but when she came to talk to me about tarot, assuming i knew nothing about it, and i didn't agree with something, i let her know that this wasn't MY vision. But if it's her vision, okay, i'll respect it, and if it's something useful, i'll add to my mental tarot journal.

Of course, i really think you should try to teach this person more about tarot, since she sells it. Tell her that you collect decks, and have read for many years, the way you described sounds like she'd be excited more than offended. But beware the know-it-alls of the New Age stores, they can give you quite a headache :p

Miss Y.

BodhiSeed

I think I agree with Abrac and Merenwen on this one - offer your ideas and expertise if you'd like, but I wouldn't try to make a barter. If she is truly grateful and a sensitive soul, she's likely to offer something without you asking. I do think it is nice of you to "educate" her though :D - you're liable to create another tarotaholic!

Bodhran