Should I not use tarot cards when I'm depressed?

SunChariot

Your mood will affect what you see in the cards. The right cards will come up, but if you are feeling down you might see more pessimistic things in them. Which will only make you feel worse. So I would avoid reading when in that mood. Better to have someone else read for you at those times.

Babs

choirqueer

Personally, I have found the Tarot to be an amazing source of healing for me when I'm depressed. In addition to dealing with depression, I'm also an intense introvert, so for me it can actually be incredibly unhelpful to seek help from other people because that may just make things worse, no matter how well-intentioned or professionally qualified they are. Discovering that I could use Tarot to get the guidance from within myself and/or God/Spirit/the Universe without having to rely on other people has been really important for me. I can totally see that for someone who really needs to be seeking help from another person, this may not be the right path for them, so if it doesn't work for you and you don't feel like it helps you to use the Tarot when you're depressed, don't. But I certainly wouldn't suggest ruling it out unless you've tried it and seen how it affects you. :)

For me the one thing that is sometimes hard is that when I'm depressed is that I have a hard time getting myself to do anything, even things I like, so I'll think "gosh, if I could just get myself to pick up those cards I know I would feel better" but I can't make myself do it.

MareSaturni

Libra8ca said:
I have used tarot cards when feeling depressed and totally overwhelmed and I have found them to be a source of hope and strength and they have helped me to get through some very difficult days. (they have become my personal advisor in a way). Just shows that not everyone is the same! :)

ncefafn said:
As someone who suffers from periodic bouts of depression, I just want to echo what Libra8ca said, and offer this. I was having one of those "down" days today and did a reading for someone else. I was able to offer her good news, based upon what I saw in the cards, and that made me feel better as well.

I just would like to add my 2 cents on this matter.

I'll have to agree with Thirteen. As someone whose her own psychiatrist called "person with serious destructive tendencies" (don't ask me what she meant), and those are not occasional, i'd say that reading tarot for myself has never really helped me.

It doesn't matter if i get the most positive reading ever, filled with Suns, 9 of Cups and 10 of Pentacles. My mind doesn't interpret that. In fact, when i'm having my "bad days", my mind tends to see everything from the worst light possible. Or it simply doesn't believe in the positive messages it sees.

Of course, my rational side knows: Sun = good card. But my emotional side shrugs, ignores it and decides it would rather be in a dark hole.

I can't trust my mind... how can i trust my reading? I can't understand the things other people tell me in times like this... how can i expect to fully understand the cards? To not distort their meanings?

I know all these things sound kind "duh" for people who don't have this problem. But when i'm having my bad days (i don't call them depression, as my doctor has never diagnosed me), i go through all these things. My pessimism becomes truly acute. People tell me things and i misunderstand what they are saying - always in a negative way. I become isolated, quiet, sleepless, without hunger and destructive. Even if God sent a ray of light from heaven, i think i would not see it.

How could i read tarot in such state and expect to see good messages in it?

I agree with Thirteen. If you sink as low as i do when in such times, don't read tarot to get better. Look for help. Ask a friend to kindly read for you. At least for someone who can distract your from yourself. Alone, with a tarot deck in front of, the chance of feeling suddenly better is not so much slim, but anorexic.

Aladdin

In basic, no.

Tansey Ella

well said , Marina. I sink that low too and just have to step away from the cards. I get nothing from them in that state, half the time it just ends up being a junk throw-most likely indicative of my state of mind. Osho Zen has a great card for states of mind. One that I think just illustrates confusion ( he calls it polluting the atmosphere with excessive words and thoughts) is the page of clouds( swords).
seriously check out Osho Zen, the clouds( swords) are great for mood states. If I just can't put my finger on it otherwise, I can count on Osho to paint me a clear picture.
also, 9 of fire, ( wands) shows exhaustion,. so well. Or 5 of water( cups) shows cling to the past so well. also, look at the 3 clouds, ( swords) card is called Ice-olation. what a visual, the ice figure crying tears, not able to relate to others.8 clouds also is very descriptive picture of Guilt, and "make it stop" feelings.

paganwolf

I do suffer depression and am on medication. I try to find out from my cards why I am feeling this way. I find Thoth Tarot very useful and effective for my feelings and they are always spot on with my feelings.
I have been a carer for 6 years an find that I already know te situation as a carer is and how hard it is I found Tarot cards came in handy when things got harder and easier for me. Since then I becae ill with bipola manic depresive. As I keep a record of my readings and my feelings Talking to the cards are benefical to mebefore doing a reading. As a rule I try not to read my cards but what ever the out come I feel better for the readings and get ideas on how I can help myself feel better.
It may be that the cards like mine will work for you or against you. Whatev the outcome they always seem to be accurate. Let my angels thoughts and feelingsbe with you. Most people I know in Engalnd are feeling very low in March this year you are not the only one.
Let my angels and guides be with you

zephyr_heart

Never do so

Should not be, and should never be. If you do so, it'll:
- Affect your reading (you'll only feel more negative feelings that will affect your readings), then it'll;
- Tire your mind, then;
- Tire your spirit, and finally;
- Frustrates you even more.

If someone asks you for a reading while you're feeling, you should probably decline, as the negative effect will effect both sides.

As for me, I will decline the request and explain what negative emotion that I feel (bored, depressed, confused, etc).

sirenssong

omnislashed said:
A major dropkick that I'm absolutely driving myself crazy is when the Nine of Swords is revealed in a telling placement.

Funny you should mention it, this is one of the cards I get when I know I need to calm down and stop worrying! I get a few others too like the Moon and seven of cups, but I get nine of swords the most.

As far as the original topic goes, yeah maybe it's best not to read when upset. Most of the time when I've read and been upset, it makes me feel better, but sometimes it makes me feel worse and I end up regretting doing the reading. :(