should you use decks worth a lot of money?

VGimlet

I am a collector, and I use all my decks, and I even riffle shuffle. })

Yes, even the Felicita, Carnivale and others. I am careful, of course, and more careful not to have spillable things around and clean hands when I'm using some of my more valuable decks, but I bought them to use, not just to sit and look pretty.

When I bought my Felicita the sellar gave me the option of an opened deck or a sealed, and I chose the opened. Save the sealed for a "real" collector. :p

Rasa

When I bought my copy of the Gambedotti Gourmet deck, the Amazon.com seller had written something in their item description like, "This deck is a collector's item. It is NOT intended for use".
But I must confess: I bought it to read with, and I've really been enjoying using it. ;)
I'm both a collector and a card reader.
I umbraed my Dussere Dodal, too.

Beautiful things should be enjoyed, in my opinion.

gregory

Enjoyed - absolutely. Umbraed - I haven't done that with ANYTHING. Nor shall I. It's croolty to Cards !

Barefoot Fool

My first deck, I was so ignorant, I got a signed edition of Susan K Topa's 1979 "22 Keys to the Tarot" 22 hand-pulled lithographic prints with booklet because it was the only deck in the store that "spoke" to me, plus I named the price. I proceeded to live my regular vagrant, semi-homeless life, tromped the thing out in the rain in the jungle and generally bungling it up and whatnot. Later I learned what a rare deck it is. Oops! But it is so beautiful, and I read those cards in the jungle of Kauai, and I got it for me anyhow. And maybe what the deck as a whole said was: be beautiful, live your life, do what you love, that is the most valuable thing.

gregory

My first deck, I was so ignorant, I got a signed edition of Susan K Topa's 1979 "22 Keys to the Tarot" 22 hand-pulled lithographic prints with booklet

Photo please, she said with GREAT interest....

But I absolutely agree. "Loved to death" is a great phrase !

velvetina

i couldn't agree more with Barefoot Fool.....the only deck I possess that is worth anything to me is my first deck, because I have a relationship, a history with it....financially, it is worthless, but to me it is priceless. I have others that I daresay I could sell if I wanted, and I use them all, without reservation. If a deck was handmade & unique, i would treat it with respect...but I can't imagine having something -other than a piece of art - just to look at and admire. This is just my idiosyncrasy & has caused others to despair! for example using 18th century teacups, taking a steiff bear to the seaside, using jewelry to decorate trees etc.

Cerulean

Nowadays I think....

Me thinks tis a small investment in color copying works.

That way I can embellish or take notes.

And for me, personalizes it as a work in progress or evolving relationship.

To each story, I enjoy and toast the personal sharing. Some people wear their decks into a style that suits them, like favored worn jeans; some enjoy shiny and new. That was my impression only.

My first deck, I was so ignorant, I got a signed edition of Susan K Topa's 1979 "22 Keys to the Tarot" 22 hand-pulled lithographic prints with booklet because it was the only deck in the store that "spoke" to me, plus I named the price. I proceeded to live my regular vagrant, semi-homeless life, tromped the thing out in the rain in the jungle and generally bungling it up and whatnot. Later I learned what a rare deck it is. Oops! But it is so beautiful, and I read those cards in the jungle of Kauai, and I got it for me anyhow. And maybe what the deck as a whole said was: be beautiful, live your life, do what you love, that is the most valuable thing.

Barefoot Fool

Photo please, she said with GREAT interest....

Okay, I submitted a pretty basic deck review & a handful of photos to Aeclectic Tarot. In theory it should be here for others to see relatively soon.

I was really, really ignorant when I bought the deck. I didn't mean to bang it around so much. Oh, well...