significance of deck used?

marablu

Hello everyone,

I've got a question that may sound silly to the more experienced of you out there.

I've been reading through some threads in the Your Readings section, and noticed that many people mention the particular deck they've used in their reading.

It made me wonder why that is- do you think that the deck you use alters or modifies the meaning of the cards that come up?

So does an ace of cups in the fairytale tarot mean something different to the ace of cups in the thoth tarot for example?

thanks for your thoughts!

Apocalipstick

Well, each deck creator has a particular vision that gives each deck its own unique spin. A quick, easily accesible example would be Strength being renamed Lust in the Thoth deck. If you compare and contrast say the RWS with the Thoth, you'll see how one image says something quite different from the other.

Yes, there is an underlying, constant meaning, but that's sort of analogous to the soil in which the imagery of the deck is planted. When you look at a flower do you notice the soil it grows from, or its shape and color?

The basic meaning of the card is the soil, but the expressed image is the flower itself.

Does that answer your question somewhat?

franniee

Apocalipstick said:
Yes, there is an underlying, constant meaning, but that's sort of analogous to the soil in which the imagery of the deck is planted. When you look at a flower do you notice the soil it grows from, or its shape and color?

The basic meaning of the card is the soil, but the expressed image is the flower itself.

How eloquently expressed! :)

Myrrha

To some extent, I read the pictures-- just look at the pictures as if it were a comic strip. So if there were different pictures on the cards it would definately change the reading.

For example, in one reading the buildings in the background of a card looked (at that moment) like a University and it turned out the querant was going back to school.

You can also look at how the pictures go together and which way people in the pictures are facing: toward other cards or away? There might be fire shown on the Ace of Wands on one side of the spread and fire shown on the Three of Pentacles on the other side of the spread. So there is a connection, and the card in between will show that.

--Myrrha

Flavio

It is useful to know which deck was used, so the Querent can see the same cards as the reader, if the reading was via email.

dadsnook2000

And the deck as a whole may be better or worse . . .

And the deck as a whole may be better or worse for some querents and some questions. I have a small selection of decks that I use for readings. Let me give you an example of how I use my decks.

WAITE-SMITH: I use this deck for older people or very uptight people who may not be familiar with the tarot. They can relate more easily to the images in most cases.

FEY: I use this deck for younger women and anyone who seeks a high-minded approach to their issues. I do not use this deck for those who are emotional or who appear to be self-serving.

TAROT OF PRAGUE: I use this for mature adults who appear reasonably mature and who may be professional. The images are terrific and highly interesting and often evoke comments and then questions which lead to dialog and conversation. This permits the reading to flow nicely.

ROBIN WOOD: This deck is used for those who tend to be younger, free-spirits or college-types, as well as for any who are into nature-based religions or belief systems. This highly colorful deck is pleasant to use, easy to relate to, and can be used for a wide range of querents -- we don't always judge who might fit what deck well enough to make a best decision. The Robin Wood is my utility deck as well as free-spirit deck.

I reserve my WITCHES TAROT (Connoly-Reed) for the know-it-alls and those who won't ask a question and bask in their own smugness. I tell them that the Witches Tarot has no subtlety to it, it just tells the brutal truth like it or not -- and that I don't want them to say a thing but to just listen to what is said and then leave without asking any further questions. They usually start talking as soon as I start my one-way reading which I make as acute and pointed as I can.

So, the deck choices can serve to open up a client to discussion as you go through the choosing process -- it gets them comfortable to be in a position of participation and comment. So, the deck-as-a-whole, not just the card themes and designs, can be important to consider. Dave

SarahRose

I always note what I used and I liked to have that noted for me as well. Maybe it's just because I'm anal?

I'd like to know the tone of the deck, if I like the deck or not, and look up any cards I might want to see, etc.

It's just another part of the whole reading to me - I would feel like I couldn't enjoy the reading without knowing the deck, usually.

SunChariot

marablu said:
Hello everyone,

I've got a question that may sound silly to the more experienced of you out there.

I've been reading through some threads in the Your Readings section, and noticed that many people mention the particular deck they've used in their reading.

It made me wonder why that is- do you think that the deck you use alters or modifies the meaning of the cards that come up?

So does an ace of cups in the fairytale tarot mean something different to the ace of cups in the thoth tarot for example?

thanks for your thoughts!

That depends a great deal on how you read, your reading style. There are many different ways. I personally don't make much use of the standard book meanings and just find the meaning in a card by analysing the imagery. So yes, the same card in different decks give me very very different meanings, and honestly the way I read the same card in the same deck rarely has the same meaning twice.

I pick a deck just by looking over my list of decks before starting a reading and just "feeling" which one is calling to me for that particular reading.

Bar

Sulis

Yes I think it does make a difference to a reading.

Take a look at the 7 of Coins in the Thoth deck and the 7 of Coins in the Rider-Waite-Smith deck and decks based on it:
http://www.angelpaths.com/decks/ridernew/pentacles/sevenofpents.html
http://www.angelpaths.com/disks/disks7.html

completely different images, different meanings too.

If someone is reading with a Tarot de Marseille then the meanings assigned to each card will be different again.

If you don't put which deck you used then folks will often assume that you're using a deck based on the RWS and you may not be or you may be using a deck based on the RWS but the images may be different.

This is why we ask in Your Readings that folks mention the deck used -it's in the Your Readings forum guidelines: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=47665

balenciaga

Pictures on Deck

Sometimes I will switch decks for intuitive inspiration - here is where artwork and visuals help. They coax interpretation along (Victorian vs. Visconti for example).