Significance of dropped cards.

Arcane paper

I was reordering my tarot cards the other day, and both the hanged man and death dropped out. I couldn't help but think this is significant. Especially because it the first time I picked them up in over a year.
P.s I'm not sure if I posted in the place, but it seemed as good as any.

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, Arcane paper!

Effectively those were "jumpers." Did they fall out so that one card was on top of the other? Or did the cards land separately? For me, the order makes a difference in the interpretation.

If the Hanged Man was on the bottom or left, the cards could be speaking to a period of stasis during which your perspective may have changed (Hanged Man) coming to an end (Death). This could be a reflection of your tarot hiatus coming to an end.

If Death was on the bottom or left, the cards could be speaking to and ending that leaves you contemplating "what next"? This could be you picking up your cards again after a year and wondering what to do next. Will it be like riding a bicycle? Will you pick up from where you left off? Will you start over from the beginning? Has your interest in or knowledge of tarot changed even though you weren't using the cards?

HTH,
Rodney

Arcane paper

It was hanged man first, then death. I thought they were particularly odd cards to drop out. Especially, as a conversation came to mind, that I had while reading professionally. A friend of mine left those two cards out when doing tarot parties, to keep it light hearted.

Bhavana

I only consider fallen or dropped cards significant if they come up in the reading. Otherwise, I just see it as clumsiness on my part. I drop things all the time.

starrystarrynight

If it's a fairly new and slippery deck, I give jumpers no consideration. If it's a deck I have been reading with for years and is well-worn, well-used and dog-earred, I would note the jumper and probably think of it as part of the reading. It rarely happens to me, though, because the deck(s) I read with these days are no longer shiny-new and slippery.

Stark Raven

I was reordering my tarot cards the other day, and both the hanged man and death dropped out. I couldn't help but think this is significant. Especially because it the first time I picked them up in over a year.
P.s I'm not sure if I posted in the place, but it seemed as good as any.

I would, based on what you say, take it as a message to keep things light. Why is that, what would that message tell you? Were you overdoing it with Tarot before, or perhaps taking things to seriously with Tarot issues? Or on the other hand, have you spoken to that friend lately, do you need a good laugh?

Scibility

I use to ignore them, but then there were several times after putting the dropped card back into the deck and shuffling, I ended up pulling the same card!

I shuffle by putting the cards face down on a table and swirling them/ tumbling them a bit, and then doing the usual playing card type of shuffling (hand over hand, split deck and cascade them into one pile). So pulling the same card after all of that seemed unusual.

So for me I, now I always consider them as a highlight rather than a footnote.

Hope that helps!

Kitichi

I follow my intuition. Sometimes I use jumpers as is, as additional info to the spread. Sometimes I look at them and only take significant note if they come up again in the reading. Sometimes I just go, "Wow, I suck at shuffling!" and put them all back in without looking at them. Depends on what "flash" I feel about the card/s at the time.

I've even done a reading entirely with jumpers, when 3 cards came out while shuffling, and it felt like the right thing to do.

Richard

For me, the significance is that I need to be more careful in handling the cards.

Barleywine

I used to think they were important, but I don't bother much with them any more. If they come up later in the spread, they were just giving you a "taste," saying "Wherever I end up, pay a bit more attention." If not, then I don't see that they're tied to anything and just ignore them.