Signs ... from above?

PhantomBeast

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, or if there even is one at Aeclectic. I'm interested in hearing other peoples thoughts on "Signs". I feel silly saying "signs from above" or "signs from god" because I'm not religious. But I do think I believe in them, and I think I am getting them. Do you ever feel like the universe is either telling you something, or playing with your head? That or I'm crazy and it's just a ton of coincidences.

It is strange saying/typing this out loud. I'm not closed minded at all. I guess I just wanted other peoples perspectives. Sorry if this is totally in the wrong place.

Milfoil

Most definately.

In a sense it is the most fundamental of divination systems.

Shamans around the world have 'read' the signs around them from which direction a bird is flying to where it lands, the shapes of clouds, the colours of leaves, sounds of the wind - everything. And the associations each thing has (in that culture) then gives a specific meaning to that observation.

In my opinion, it is from these signs all around us, every day (if we choose to take notice and learn them) that all other systems of divination have arisen.

For me it takes the form of seeing something, often quite mundane, which stands out for some reason. This morning it was three big, black Crows sat on my chimney, cawing, then flying off south. Three is a number of manifestation (to me), Crow is an ally and brings spiritual truth, south is the place of energy and emotions, drive and sometimes fear! So what do I make from all that? ;) Thats for me to work out.

What do you see when you look around today? Does anything jump out at you as being significant?

edit: other discussions such as spiritual developement etc would belong in the Spirituality area which is in the Subscriber section :)

PhantomBeast

For me it's never anything symbolic like that. It's always so simple that I'm unsure if it's just coincidences.

Lately I've been worrying about a friend, and I seem to get lots of happenings that relate to the situation. I don't want to go into details, because I'd rather not bring up someone else's business. But how else can I get input?

We had a conversation about anger management and the next day, two of my TiVo'd shows had brought up that topic. Things like that always seem to happen. I'll change to a channel and the scene of a movie will be *exactly* something I'm worrying about with them. And their birthdate always pops up somewhere. Either on the clock, or stamped on a train ticket, or it's exactly the number of pages on a web-forum. Heh, I feel crazy sometimes.

I just don't know what to think. It might seem like I try to look for things to remind me of them. Or maybe because it's on my mind, I pick out certain things. But it's not like I want to be reminded everyday (which it seems like it is everyday).

Is it possible it means nothing at all and I'm just reading into these "coincidences"? Or could it be a way of telling me something?

Thanks for replying. If this should be moved, I understand. I'm just not a subscriber, and I really wanted some help.

PhantomBeast

Thanks a lot, Pao! I didn't know there were already threads about this. Hehe, I guess that's what the Search feature is for.

I read through them all and it seems like everyone has the same questions. That's good to know.

Just to add. As I'm replying I got a text message, totally off topic. But when I checked the time it was sent, it was the same number that's been following me around. I'm starting to think it's not "just me reading into things".

Pao

i think we read into things when we keep looking for signs. like ahh my shoe laces are untied! it means this! but hey its just a shoe lace, ya know? i think if something occurs when you're not expecting it and it answers something or guides you in some way its a sign. :D

blackroseivy

I know someone who had THE most out-of-this-world "sign-from-Above"-type of experience...

He said that he was asking about whether or not to go out to this girl who wanted him to marry her. At the time, he was completely insane about her - but she was a heroin addict, REALLY bad news...

At the time, he was in a seminary college. He had asked God to please tell him 1 way or the other THAT DAY or else he was just going to jump the next plane, whatever...

Well, apparently someone he didn't know was at a meeting he went to that night. He walked straight up to him & said, "I need to talk to you!!" & proceeded to tell him in detail about how he should NOT go to this girl because she would totally mess his life up. Apparently this guy had had a dream about him the night before - though he had never seen him before!

He even QUOTED passages from this guy's private journal - a definite line from it just came out of his mouth!! :eek:

All of this may be hard to believe, but I know this guy - & I know that he's not the type of person just to make something like this up.

Also - an interesting addendum to the story:

I got told this on election night. That very morning I had myself prayed (I quote): "Please please please, I'm begging you, who or whatever you are out there - put Obama in the White House & I'll believe forever!!!"

Well... :D

kazza

I believe that we definately get signs, but I also believe in the law of attraction, you can attract the things your worried about or notice them more because your going through the situation. Like when you get a new car, you notice how many more cars like yours there are out there, or say when your pregnant you will notice all of the other pregnant women more. I had a situation once where my mobile rang, I had the feeling I shouldn't answer it and so didn't, 5 minutes later there was a message which I checked which was someone close to me talking to another person about me saying not nice things. Obviously their phone was in there pocket or something and accidently dialed my number, but how was it, that it happened just at that precise time they were saying that. I believe that had to be a sign from above warning me about that person. I didn't listen though to the sign and believed their excuse and paid for it in the end.

I think it is hard though distingishing between a sign or that you've just attracted it or just notice more because of the situation. I'm been thinking alot about someone I used to know, been hearing and seeing their name alot and situations that remind me of them, but I don't know whether it's a sign of something or just I'm just noticing the name more. Sometimes it's very confusing but I do believe also you get messages like through our minds we, lately songs have been coming into my mind, certain lyrics that fit my situation. I find this strange as it's not songs that I've heard recently or even like but I think someone is trying to tell me something.

SunChariot

PhantomBeast said:
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, or if there even is one at Aeclectic. I'm interested in hearing other peoples thoughts on "Signs". I feel silly saying "signs from above" or "signs from god" because I'm not religious. But I do think I believe in them, and I think I am getting them. Do you ever feel like the universe is either telling you something, or playing with your head? That or I'm crazy and it's just a ton of coincidences.

It is strange saying/typing this out loud. I'm not closed minded at all. I guess I just wanted other peoples perspectives. Sorry if this is totally in the wrong place.

Well I do believe that all "signs" are signs from above or signs from G-d or from our guardian angels. IF there were to be a sign, where else would it come from? It would have to come from a force that has intellegence, and the power to see the future and know what you need. Moreover it would be a loving force that cares about you and wants to help...You can call that the universe, but to me that his just another way of saying G-d.

For what it's worth I am not religious either. I don't follow the tenets of my religion or believe in one religion over another.I am very spiritual though, in the sense that I beleive that there is a G-d (and angels) and we can talk to him/them and ask advice and he/they will answer us. Tarot is one way he can do that, signs are another.

I personally don't believe in coincidence at all any more so to me pretty well anything that looks like one is a sign, they also come in many other ways. If you are open to it, you can just feel in your heart what is meant to be a sign for you.

My belief is that our guardian angels always send us signs to help us out. That is their job to look after us. They send them whether or not we believe in signs or G-d or them, they just do all they can to help and hope we catch on and see it was a sign that had meaning.

I know from my past that way before I believed in G-d, angels OR signs at all in any way, at that time in my life I entered into a very very bad marriage that thankfully lasted only 2 1/2 years. That was in 1980, but even now when I look back with my current view of how life works, I can clearly see that I was given just tons of signs not to marry him, but I did not beleive in all that then much less in anyone who could be sending signs.

SO at the time I just thought there was one really crazy set of coincidences going on. Now I can see it was much more. They give us signs all our lives, even when we don't believe in them, in the hope that we will somehow see the messsage and learn from it anyway.

And they send us signs whether we are religious or not. It makes no difference if we beleive in angels or not, we all have guardian angels assigned to us at birth (or a bit before) and they are assigned to look after and protect and guide us where needed. We don't have to believe in them, they believe in us and it is their job and greatest pleasure to make sure we are on the right path and have all we need.

Well, of course we have all had different experiences with this and have differnet ways of seeing it. But you asked for my perspective, so there it is.

Babs

Pao

ok so I have a question for us. is the ABSCENCE of a sign a sign in itself? (yea line from Serendipity) but if you ask "give me a sign If should move to France" and you dont get anything is that a sign you should stay? hm....soemthing to ponder