So who's legal?

Grizabella

Elf, to legally make it work as a ULC minister, you have to have an established "congregation" of at least three people and buy a church charter, as I understand it, and then do that 501 or whatever it's called with the tax exempt status government filing thing. I looked into it further and that's what I found out. It's not hard to get three friends to sign up as members for a charter, which is $25, I believe, but then that has to be renewed yearly. And of course, there's the tax red tape. Maybe all this has changed-------I checked into it a few years ago.

TemperanceAngel

In Australia when you are self-employed you have an ABN (Australian Business Number). I have one of these. The shops I work from (and have worked in) work on a commission base.

When I fill out an invoice for the day I write the overall totall, what I made and what the shop made. The amount of money the shop has made is tax detuctable as it is my "rent" paid for the day.

rabble

I have an ABN for my business, but when you register a business in Australia you have to specify exactly what it does.
Mine does web design and IT consulting.

I declare and pay any tax on all of the income I get from doing that.

Any income I get from my tarot bags and jewellery, and my deck, is hobby income. I don't declare it, and I can't claim any of the costs as business expenses. I thought about it - about adding "mixed media design" to my business description, but decided that it wasn't worth it, since my expenses are easily as much as my income. If that ever changed, then I would update my business description.

Emeraldgirl

I have an ABN but uit is for a different business activity than tarot. I have only done a few parties so far. Once I start to make it closer to a profession I will sort out where it stands with taxes etc. At the moment though I'd be paying more in accountant fees than I earn from tarot. It's not quite worth it yet. Place quite a few of my readings are done in a barter situation. How do you report "a friend supplied coffee and a cake and i supplied readings?"