Sodalite?

Sophie

I have bought a sodalite stone - it's lovely, but not in my crystals book (which is fat, but not fat enough) - and made a mistake by putting in in salt water... Well, I think it's probably damaged, though not badly (the white has become powdery on top).

What I really want to know is - since it's not in my book - what can I use it for? It's smallish - fits in my hand. It's deep blue, so I am thinking of the 5th chakra. Are there any therapeutic uses? Anything else I ought to know about this stone?

light2000

Sodalite

Chakra: 6
Body: Emotional
Colour: greyed blue

energy characteristics: Open the unconsious for to canalize the intuition.

it transforms the illusion into truth and clarity.
Gives strght to the communication and the creative expression. It helps to be objective and less critical on the form to deal with and existence.
Is a awakening of the 3 eye.
It alliviates the fear.

Emeraldgirl

I found this on some manings I had saved on my PC can't remember what site it's from though :)

A stone of the higher mind, Sodalite helps the wearer to think rationally and form logical conclusions. It aids in releasing confusion as well as over-emotionalness and creates a stable atmosphere in which to deal with intellectual challenges, and brings a feeling of competence and well-being to those pursuits. Sodalite aids in understanding ones true feelings and helps to verbalize them. It is an excellent stone for working with groups as it helps the members to create an atmosphere of mutual trust and self-esteem, enhancing solidarity and enabling the group to establish common purpose and work together toward their goals. Calming and stabilizing, Sodalite stimulates thought and allows one to access their own inner knowing. It releases stresses, nervousness, angers and fears. An excellent stone for meditiation and a promoter of inner wisdom

wizzle

according to ...

According to Scott Cunningham's book "Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem & Metal Magic" Sodalite

has receptive energy
is associated with the planet venus
and the element of water
its powers are healing, peace, meditation and wisdom

Magical uses:

Sodalite is a deep blue stone veined with white. It is ofen mistaken for lapis lazuli but lacks the golden flecks of iron pyrite often contained n the latter stone.

It is healing, especially for emotionally related diseases or those ause by stress, nervousness, anger or fear.

Wear or rub over the body to dispel fear and guilt. Wear or hold to still the mind, relax the body and calm inner turmoil

It is a fine meditative stone and, when used conscientiously, promotes wisdom.

I LOVE Cunningham's book. If I were restricted to only one book about crystals and magic, this would be it. Seldom do I have to venture far to find a stone, metal or crystal he doesn't describe.

Dorthee Mella says...

In history, sodalite was frequently used by Egyptian priests to dispet guilt and fears and to strengthen the power of the mid over body. Most importantly, the properties of sodalite will provide a stone bridge between your subconscious and conscious mind, to connect your thoughts to your feelings, helping to eliminate guilt and fears better than any other stone. With a clear insightful mind you can find inner peace. Sodalite, although physically strikingly like lapis, will clear vision rather than stimulate wisdom and mind expansion. Use this blue stone as a lens to see the sky without clouds of fear and doubt.

Dorothy's book is entitled "Stone Power"

Sophie

Wow! Thanks all! -I disappear a few hours and find a treasure trove of responses :)

Thanks also for the book recommendation, wizzle.

Sophie

Well, thanks to your kind help, all (and those sites, wizzle) I have been able to start using my sodalite. I must say, it is a most beautiful stone.

Le Fanu

Bumping this thread as my local shop has a beautiful Sodalite stone and I was drawn to it but rather shocked at how light it was. I really expected it to be heavier. Is Sodalite a relatively light stone? Or was it perhaps fake?

NorthernTigress

Le Fanu said:
Bumping this thread as my local shop has a beautiful Sodalite stone and I was drawn to it but rather shocked at how light it was. I really expected it to be heavier. Is Sodalite a relatively light stone? Or was it perhaps fake?

I'd say that it is real. At least if you trust Wikipedia:

Properties

A light, relatively hard yet fragile mineral, sodalite is named after its sodium content; in mineralogy it may be classed as a feldspathoid. Well known for its blue color, sodalite may also be grey, yellow, green, or pink and is often mottled with white veins or patches.

AJ

OTish, but Wizzles death was a real loss to AT and this forum.