Songs that come to mind when cards come up.

brightcrazystar

One thing that happens often is images flash to me when I hear songs. In fact this happens alot. Some Tarot cards are so clearly connected in my brain to particular songs that I can hardly see them without breaking out into song.

The one that reminded me of this is Two of Swords.

The song that totally reminds me of this card is "Should I Stay or Should I go"
by the Clash.

This indecision's bugging me
If you don't want me, set me free
Exactly who'm I'm supposed to be
Don't know which clothes even fit me
Come on and let me know
Should I cool it or should I blow?

The theme of the song is indecision, where there seems no perfect solution

"Is I stay there will be trouble, If I go there will be double."

So the singer is giving away the decision to another, the indecision leading to the co-dependent shadow of an unfulfilled relationship. The lack of freedom and the inability to even see the situation, and the need to maintain a precarious balance really show forward in this card. But, do to its nature, it is sung with a bit a of pride and some arrogance which also can sound a bit accusatory.

Being in this balance of not wanting to be the bad guy, but seeing that there may not be an easy solution, is fortelling of the Three of Swords where the sentiment is killed because it prevents sincerity that arises from allowing things to be true to their nature. In the Thoth deck, the Great Sword destroys the rose because it can't stand to see the Swords whittling away at it.

Oddly to me, with this song I flash from the RWS 2 of Swords to the Thoth 3 of Swords. I heard this song first early in my life. I recall the association first about 10 years ago, and had been studying tweleve years by then. When I started, I had Tarot but not even a LWB. I would sit and listen to the radio, or my casettes, and just study the cards themselves. Wouldn't it be odd if this was one of the basis for my understanding of the card? I am looking now into other songs, particularly from the 80's to see if I can match my sentiments to the cards to songs that had an impact on me. I was a HUGE police fan. Still am.

Are there any songs you hear and think of a Tarot card almost instinctually?

amethyst57

Blue Oyster Cult's "don't fear the reaper" comes up for me when i draw the Death card...i know the card is a change/transformation card, not necessarily a physical death omen...the song has pretty much the same meaning...the change/transformation is one that human ego will push away, but one who's knowledgeable will accept this change/transformation...and not fear it....

Asbestos Mango

When I first started reading with the Archeon Tarot, Judas Priest's "Last Rose of Summer" would pop into my head when I saw the World card (the main image is of an autumn leaf).

Mystic_Blue_Jay

I never had songs that came to mind for certain cards, but for certain decks yes. "Tales of Brave Ulysses" by Cream for the Thoth; "Blood Sugar Sex Magic" by Red Hot Chili Peppers for Tarot of Sexual Magic; and "Kitty" by POTUSA for the Tarot of Pagan Cats.

Amanda

I've had too many too mention pop up for certain cards in certain people's readings... most memorable for me would be the song "I Will Not Bow" by Breaking Benjamin for the Tower card.

WalesWoman

I do have songs pop in my head when certain cards come up, but like reading, the songs change to suit the meaning.

8 Swords showed up in the position about how my man felt about marriage in general (in the early days of our relationship) and the old country western song "Don't fence me in" seemed most appropriate.

The Sun card always has lots of songs come to mind... "Good day Sunshine", "here comes the sun", "You are my Sunshine", or phrases from songs, like "Blue Sky" by Allman Brothers... "you're my sunny day"

Wendywu

Happens to me all the time with the Templar deck, which I love. Usually rock songs, occasionally folk. And not always songs I like or enjoy, which can be irritating! But my studies of that deck were a joy, and and a pleasure (mainly) to listen to (inside my head).

Not so much with Ironwing, but fairly frequently. And much more often if I'm studying a card rather than actually reading it.

nisaba

there's some good suggestions here. I have to point out the last page particularly, and also indicate that the king of all songs for the Tower card is Leonard Cohen's little opus.