Spreads for Beginners

NYCTeen

I've read/seen MANY different spreads on this site but I wasn't sure I'd be able to actually do them since I'm new to Tarot. Are there any spreads you'd recommend to a beginner in Tarot? It doesn't matter if it's love or life spreads, just ANY spread! Thank you in advance... :)

Lurea

There's all sorts of three card spreads, nycteen. I would recommend starting with some of those to begin with, and gradually working up in complexity/number of cards.

If you check the spreads index at the top of this forum, you will find listings of spreads. If you page down nearly all the way to the bottom, you will find a heading that says "Three Card Spreads". :D Browse through some of those and play with them.

Gaidheal

I completely agree with Lurea. There's really no reason you need to go beyond a 3-Card spread until you really start to feel comfortable with the cards. Three cards can give you a surprising amount of information.

goddesscarlie

I am a beginer as well. I have tried more than three card spreads, but I pick spreads where each place has a particular meaning (for instance, place 1. means "present situation" and 2. means "emotions"). I then look at each individual card and try and see what I think it could mean from the pictures on the card and the meaning of the place. After that I will look in the book that came with my cards, just to see if I am on the right track.

I hope that helps you a bit! If not, that is just my method at the moment. Find one for yourself that makes it easy for you to learn.

Alissa

Welcome NYCTeen!

I also agree (and you'll find the general consensus is around here is the same) that it's better to err on the side of "less is more" when starting out. Spreads with 3 cards can be extremely versatile, and can contain LOTS of information.

The biggest mistake I made my first few years of reading was to believe that more cards=better info, better reading. Even now, after many years of reading, I prefer smaller sized spreads. Too many cards were/are very confusing to try to integrate into one smooth message.

Do take the time to check out the Tarot Spreads Index and about halfway down the second entry, you will see a list of Three Card Spreads (of all sorts, to handle many types of questions). That may give you some good ideas to start with!

ambermoon

Even one card can be an insightful spread, and will help you form connections with and gain insight into your deck.

There are different ways to approach it--

Draw one card, prop it up on your desk, and leave it there untill you have written a page about it.

Draw one card each day, to answer the question, what is the theme of this day? Sometimes the theme will be manifested in things that actually happen, other times it gives you a different viewpoint on things that are only tangentally related, and some days it is just a focal point for thought or meditation. Write about the card and it's bearing on your day in your journal.

I always have the one card study going on, sometimes for weeks at a time if I can't connect with the card right away. I go through phases with the daily card. Sometimes I'm too busy living life to even think about it, and other times it's really important to me.

NYCTeen

Thank you all SO much. I don't have my deck *Robin Wood to be exact :)* yet, but I'm going to start writing down some of the spreads ahead of time. That way, I'll be ready! Thanks again.

Magi

well, my favorite is a 5 card spread. here it is.

2 1 4

1: spirit
2:air
3:earth
4:water
5:fire

this is a good all around spread.

MeM

Funny, I was just thinking about what spreads would be best for beginners.. and I open this forum and here it is.. :)

I have tried a few 3 card spreads and I have also found them to be the what works for me the best...

Great question! and Great input... what a great forum.

Cheers to all,
MeM

Nina*

MeM said:
I have tried a few 3 card spreads and I have also found them to be the what works for me the best...

I totally agree... 3 card spreads are very usefull.... the positions can be almost everything and it's not to many cards to comprehend but at the same time enough to give you some insight... :)