Spreads for casting runes

Alta

Hi all,

I have been getting more involved in casting runes. I miss the Rune Reading Circle and if Barabara Ahajusts doesn't want to run it (??), I offer to re-start it in the new year.

I have been finding some 'spreads' (for want of a better term, my tarot background coming through), and would appreciate if anyone had others to post. I do realize that do it correctly one should have a mat or spread cloth with proper divisions. I was thinking more of 'baby' or beginner spreads.

I have begun to understand that, like tarot cards, runes interact and strengthen or weaken each other's meaning. So, while I often draw a single rune, like a daily draw, that really to get the true feeling for the meaning, that more than one should show up. I also understand that runes have 'friends', sort of along the line that, for example, the Heirophant can be 'expressed' in the 5's of the various tarot suits.

There is a Three Rune Divination, whereby simply three runes are drawn and placed in a triangular pattern. Both their interaction and the 'story flow' should be considered for a reading. Because of the triangle, all three runes interact.

The Past-Present-Future layout seems to involve three runes in each position, and they 'should' be vertically stacked, as such:

Past: R1, R2, R3
Present: R1, R2, R3
Future; R1, R2, R3

It seems because the runes should interact within their own time frame, however they can also be interpreted flowing down as well as across. i.e. the three R1's can be seeing as flowing forward in time.

The Elemental Spread:

..............................R2 (north/earth)

..R5 (west/cycles).....R1 querent...........R4 (east/communication)

..............................R3 (south/passion)

That is about as far as I would tackle, the ones further on get larger and more esoteric.

If there is interest in reviving the Circle, clearly members should read as is their practise.

Also, more experienced members, feel free to correct me, I barely know anything here!!!

Alta

Alta

Cool! Thanks cardlady. :)

Alta

wow! Thanks for that, unfortunately it made me feel.... well, daunted.

Penthasilia

wow! Thanks for that, unfortunately it made me feel.... well, daunted.

LOL- no, don't feel daunted!

It is actually very easy. The nice part about it is that the colored glass/stones kinda help guide the process. I drew mine out with symbols that made sense to me for the different areas of life, and then put the word in English below, to help remind me. After that, you just pull a stone and put on each one. The stone lets you know if it is blocked, exceptional, etc and then you can draw runes to get the why and how of it.

You can also try it on paper, to see if you like it. I just bought a used, torn wool scarf and cut it into a manageable size and drew on it with a magic sharpie ;)

Alta

Sounds good. I'll read it more carefully. Thanks!

cardlady22

;) Imagine it carved in a wood tray by the lovely WalesWoman . . . gorgeous, simple lines. No wild colors.

Penthasilia

;) Imagine it carved in a wood tray by the lovely WalesWoman . . . gorgeous, simple lines. No wild colors.

Geez....I just received some boxes from her today and now TEMPTATION!

Though, I do like the idea of being able to fold up my cloth and take it with me. I already have the runes/stones in a custom box she made for me :)

No wild colors on mine- I used the black magic sharpie :D

FenestraThought

Those are some VERY thought provoking spreads ~!

I am getting stuff together to make some Rune that I can "Cast". So I need to start thinking about what kinda Drop Cloth I'll use. So Glad you brought this up lol ~!

Right now, the Runes I made are too fragile... the sealant is chipping :( so they I can't "Cast" 'em. I'm Very excited (doubly now) about making New ones.

So far as wanting more then "One" Rune, I agree. I have a practice that I use, that you might get something out of.

I have noticed with Runes, There is meaning to how you draw them. So if you draw a Rune that is "Face Down" or "Turned Away" then there is a reason. I set the Rune down and draw another and if that one is "Turned Away", then I set it down too, and draw another, and so on till I get a "Face Up" Rune. The Last Rune is the "Answer". Then I turn the other Rune(s) over and read then intuitively. A spread with 3 position can yield a LOT of runes.
But it always seems practical more often then not. Like 1 extra rune or 2 extra runes per position or some times 4 extra runes for just 1 position. Its very interesting. I did all my rune readings on here like that and they yielded positive results.

But to paraphrase what you said ;), lol " To each their own". I also have given a LOT of thought into the "Rotation" that the Rune(s) seem to have some times. I mean they come out Straight up and down or Straight reversed soooo much its crazy. So when they are at an angle there is meaning to this.