Star as Outcome for an Action

Tryska

So I've found some sensitive information out about someone, and i would really like to talk to them about it, but I don't want to ruin the relationship.

I did a decision making spread. The outcome for saying something was the Star

the outcome for not saying anything was 9 of Cups.

I'm not sure what to make of this as it seems to be a dual wish card situation.

I see confronting the situation as an opportunity to be vulnerable and healing and letting soemone come into their truest self.

And I see the 9 of cups as being fulfilled regardless but perhaps on a more superficial level. Maybe forced Joviality?

I more concerned with the Star tho. I can read that as either an outcome of healing, vulnerability and unconditional love. Or it could also be false optimism, maybe pretending everything is alright or being shown only what I want to see? But then perhaps that's the 9 of cups. So confused.

rwcarter

Thinking about RWS imagery, the guy in the 9 Cups is rather "fluffy" and the first thing that came to my mind was feeling like you're going to burst if you don't say anything. (Blame/Thank the Monty Python skit about one wafer thin mint for that one.)

As for the Star, the water coming from the two pitchers could be tears/emotions flowing. Whether that's your tears at how the situation negatively plays out if you say something or if that's the joint tears of you and your friend having a good cry, I have no idea.

When you asked the question, did you know in your mind whether the outcome position would be for you, for your friend or for the relationship between the two of you? I would probably have different interpretations for each of those outcomes.

Rodney

Tryska

Well the question i asked is "should i speak to X about Y?"

In my heart I was concerned about the relationship and X mostly. i want to be there for them if they are confused or unsure of themselves.

Pao

to me it is saying to go with the flow and relax about it. I dont see the star as being much of an action card. to me its saying to go with the flow and not do anything which will result in the 9 of cups. but thats just my opinion :) to me the star is more of a waiting card.

rwcarter

K. For a Yes/No question that's perfectly clear.

9 Cups for not saying anything
  • As outcome for you, I stick with my original answer.
  • As outcome for X, I think they will be happy to continue the facade about nothing being wrong. (I'm assuming this sensitive info you found out isn't common knowledge.)
  • As outcome for your friendship, it will continue along happily with X acting like nothing's wrong and you acting like you don't know anything.

Star for saying something
  • As outcome for you, tears/emotions flowing as the situation plays out negatively.
  • As outcome for X, what comes to mind is a woman who continues about her chores when she finds out bad news. She can't process the bad news so the only thing she can do is "busy work." So it would be X wishing you didn't know/ignoring the fact that you do know.
  • As outcome for your friendship, I think I still have to stick with the joint tears of you and your friend. What I'm not sure about is whether that's because you both are having a good cry as you work through the issue or if it's each of you crying at the dissolution of the friendship.

If it were me, I'd probably do another decision making spread with outcome positions for me, for my friend and for our friendship both for if I say something and if I don't.

HTH,
Rodney

starrystarrynight

I think it would be really hard to say what either of those cards meant without seeing the rest of the spread. It's like you are pulling them out of context and asking others what they could signify, which doesn't seem fair to either your reading or to those who may comment here.

ETA:

I think that sounded harsh. I'm sorry...didn't mean it that way. I just meant that you may not be doing your reading justice by pulling certain cards out to try to decipher what they might mean...because those meanings might (and probably would) take on their own meanings depending upon the rest of the cards in the spread leading up to them.

xhollysue

I would say that because the 9 of cups is minor arcana, the result would just be everything going jolly for a period of time.

Since the Star is a major arcana, it means that you would be initiating a long-term chain of events that would create growth. It would be waking a giant, and in my personal opinion, it could either be a good thing or bad thing to do that, depending on the preparedness of the person who's giant it is (will it initiate an important change in your life, or in the life of your friend?)

The answer as to whether or not your or the other person are ready to make the next step into life is likely answered in the rest of the spread, or could be clarified with another draw. Since the card was not reversed, the uprightness of it could be an indication that the time is right.

Tryska

I'm at work so i don't have the full spread but it was 3 cards for yes with outcome, 3 cards for no with outcome.

Off the top of my head:

Yes - ?, Empress,Tower

No - 6 of Cups,?,9 of wands I think?

What had struck me was majors (particularly Empress and Tower - creation/destruction) ont he yes side and minors on the No side.

I tend to agree with you xhollysue - The major in and of itself seems to indicate major change. And i don't think a bad change necessarily. One that would be a period of growth and self-actualization, considering the empress and tower.

I'll ahve to throw again tonight using rwcarter's suggestions of clarifyign outcome for each of us.

xhollysue

Wow if that's the case, and you have all majors on one side and all minors on the other, I'd definitely say that big life lessons are waiting.

And thank God, we often have the agency to choose when to activate them into our lives, like you appear to have here. :) It look like they're just waiting for the invitation... mwahahahaha :p

mystic mal

The STAR card is saying that when everything that was of value to you in your life has crumbled down around you you are left with hope that everything will turn out all right. Its also a case of letting "the cat out of the bag" and exposing someone like the "Kiss and tell" stories in the newspapers.
The 9 of cups says a second chance will come to put things right one day.