Stella's Simple Tarot, 78-card Version; type face and card border?

missy

I am very interested in the upcoming release of Stella's Simple Tarot in Switzerland by publisher AGMüller.

There is currently a 78-card version of it in Japan, and there was an earlier 22-card Majors-only version in Japan.

Here is my question, and my dilemma.

I have managed to find card examples of both of the Japanese decks. I really like the plain, non-cursive font face that was used on the original 22-card Majors-only version.

Stella's "Simple" tarot became much less "simple" in appearance when it went to the 78-card version, also produced in Japan. The font changed from non-cursive to cursive, and the borders now have a lot more curly-q's in them. There is also more border white space in this version. Is the Switzerland version going to duplicate this version? I hope not.

Here are card examples from the original Japanese 22-card Majors-only version, which has much plainer borders and a plain, non-cursive font:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/stella-simple/

Here are card examples from the Japanese 78-card version. Notice how the writing has changed to cursive and the borders are more complicated and intrusive.

http://www.interhobby.net/tarot/viCard.php3?Code=553 (See cards by clicking on words such as "Major," "Swords," "Wands," etc.

(Or see much smaller versions of the cards here: http://www.tarotclub.co.kr/goods/deck/agm/stella_card_v.gif )

Does anyone know definitively what kind of border and font face will be used on Stella's Simple Tarot 78-card version that is currently being readied for market in Switzerland by AGMüller?

Thanks in advance.

Astraea Aurora

Hey missy,

you could always try to contact them, their website is www.tarotworld.com, their contact email address is info@agm.ch.

Even if AG Müller brings this deck out with the borders in the curly-fashioned way you could trim the cards! I think it would make this deck very delicious and more colorful.

Astraea Aurora :grin:

missy

Hi Astraea Aurora,

I have tried contacting the publisher with no results as of yet. I thought maybe someone had heard something, as this is a big forum with lots of connections. So, I was only hoping! I really hope they keep Stella's Simple Tarot ... well, simple. :grin: I'm not into trimming card borders; for me, it's kind of like cutting up an out-of-print book (I'm a bibliophile, first edition collector); similarly, with tarot cards, one never knows when they are going to go OOP. So, I'm not a "trimmer," though I appreciate the beauty of the trimmed cards I have seen. :)

Anyway, I'll keep hoping maybe someone knows something. Would kind of like to know if it makes sense to wait for this version or if I should just buy the Japanese version. I really hope they have kept it "simple."

I will continue to hope that someone on this forum knows something in advance, or perhaps some of the first to get the deck can post here about what it looks like. :thumbsup:

Forgot to say: I am trying to get advance information because the deck apparently isn't coming out 'til mid-June at this point. The publisher did contact me about that.

felicityk

I'm a little confused. The 78-card version I have was released by AGMuller in 2007. The box says it was printed in Belgium. The deck is exactly as shown at the interhobby link posted above, except that the box is white and not blue (the blue box might be a deck and book set).

Are you sure AGMuller is doing another printing, or just making the one they did last year more widely available? I have a feeling they would not change things radically, even if they are reprinting.

Felicity

missy

felicityk said:
Are you sure AGMuller is doing another printing, or just making the one they did last year more widely available?
Hi Felicity,

I don't know. I first learned of the 78-card version here http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=76250 (the 78-card Japanese version which may be the one you have, released in 2007), and at that point, everyone was waiting on publisher AGMüller to finish the deck for 2008, so perhaps they aren't changing the deck.

In response to my email of inquiry to the publisher, the exact words in the email I received last week were,

"The Stella Tarot is planned to be finished in middle of June."

Also from the AGMüller publisher, on another forum link to forum removed by moderator - please see the forum rules:http://www.tarotforum.net/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_ourrules_faq_item was copy/pasted this email:

Many thanks for your e-mail and your interest in our product.

It is correct that we have printed the Stella Tarot for the Korean market – in order of the company representing the author and artist.

AGM AGMüller will also publish the deck for the normal Tarot marked (outside of Korea and Japan) but the deck will only be available as from March 2008 !

I’m sorry that I do not have better news for the moment.

Many thanks and best regards

(the publisher)

~~~~

However, apparently that time-frame has now been bumped to June 2008.

~~~

Maybe, as you said, they are just taking the exact same 78-card version currently published for the Japanese market and making it more widely available? In which case that means I have to deal with curly-q borders, extra white space and cursive fonts. The original 22-card version I read was published in Japan by Fusou-sha (Japanese publishing Co.).

If anyone hears more details of the look of the cards, I would appreciate a heads-up. :) Although it does make sense that the publisher might not change the deck font, etc.

However, if they aren't changing the deck in some way, why would it take so long to get it ready for a new printing? It seems that some redesign may be going on. Just a thought.

felicityk

missy_ said:
I don't know. I first learned of the 78-card version here http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=76250 (the 78-card Japanese version which may be the one you have, released in 2007), and at that point, everyone was waiting on publisher AGMüller to finish the deck for 2008, so perhaps they aren't changing the deck.

There's nothing on my box to indicate it's a Japanese version; like I said, it's printed in Belgium. From the email you quoted, it seems like it was printed for the Korean market, but in that case I wonder why not only the card titles but the entire LWB are in English?

Felicity

Hedera

Stella's at Tarotchest

I've just ordered the new AGMueller version of Stella's tarot from the Tarotchest (they're here: http://www.tarotchest.co.uk/product.asp?item=9095. Excellent service, great prices, and superfast international shipping; if you ever order something from them, make sure to take a look at the free-download booklet you get, '8 Things to do with your new deck', it's really good!).

I'll let you know what the borders are like when I get it, but I am expecting the curles etc - which I don't really mind.
I am curious about the backs though!

I really like what I've seen on this deck; from some of the cards (found via a link in another thread), there is a hint of Thoth-influence, which should add a bit of spice. ;)

Nina*

I just ordered this deck from Tarot Chest too. I've wanted it for such a long time and really look forward to getting it.

Thanks for telling me about that free booklet, Hedera... I hadn't even noticed. :)

Hedera

Nina* said:
Thanks for telling me about that free booklet, Hedera... I hadn't even noticed. :)

You're welcome! :)
Yes, it took me a couple of orders to notice it as well - but it's really great!

I've printed it out, and I'm going to do the exercises with several of my decks, new or old.
They're sort of 'Tarot for Self Discovery'-ish.