Storing cards in their box AND in a bag?

buddhagoddess

I like the idea of storing decks in pouches and have a few already. My question is: for decks that just come by themselves in a small box without a book, should I keep them in the box and then put them in the pouch? I kind of like just the cards in the pouch but wonder if that will open the possibility of them wearing out faster. Some of my decks came as a kit and don't really have a box of their own. I still have all the boxes from my decks and wonder if I should keep them for any reason or can I recycle them? I have no intention of reselling them.

Elnor

I worried about this with my first few decks. And one thing I have learned.... always, always!! keep the boxes. You might think you will never, ever sell a deck- but there just might come a day when you find a really rare deck you'd love to have, and the crucial thing that makes a deck in your possession a good 'swop' is that it has its original box and booklet.

elnor

RaeBelle

I keep my decks in their box, in a bag. For the decks that don't have boxes, or had those really freaky big boxes, I try to find a box solution for them. I have my Gilded Tarot in an index card case. It cost next to nothing and seems to hold them just fine. If you're comfortable without the box, go for it. It's all personal perference.

Sulis

I wrap my deck in a reading cloth and then put it in a bag

I always make sure that my bags are lined too - that way the cards are really well protected...

I wouldn't be too happy about putting cards in an unlined bag without anything to protect them.

Jewel

When I am not using or perusing a deck I tend to keep it in its original box (set or individual). In some of the book/deck sets, where I have purchsed a specific bag to go with the deck I store the deck within the bag inside the bigger box). Decks I am using and/or perusing I keep in bags, and maintain their boxes in my book case. If I am traveling, and my deck is one that came in a card sized box, I sometimes put the boxed deck in the bag.

I guess in summary, what I am trying to say is store it however you feel like storing it at the time. None of the decks I simply stored in bags have ever come to any harm or showed excess wear. I am conscious of them, and careful with them always, as I consider them all prized possesions.

As for the question about keeping or recycling boxes, I would keep them if I were you. There may come a time you might want to trade or sell them. I thought (swore) I would never do that, but I have traded/sold over 70 decks. Keep them just in case that day comes for you, it is a lot easier to trade or sell them with original packaging.

Lillie

Apart from my reading deck, which has a fancy little wooden box all of it's own, many of my decks are in their boxes and then in a bag.
It just keeps them safe, stops the box getting mucky, that sort of thing.

And I always keep the boxes.
And if I am buying a deck I always want the box, the LWB, the extra cards, everything, even the advertising card!
I'm just funny like that.

If it was a deck I really,really wanted (or one that was really, really cheap) I might do without some of those things, but usually I would hang on for a complete one.

So, if anyone is wondering wether to chuck the box away or not, I'm not the only one like that, so keep it.
A lot of boxes can be opened out at the ends and stored flat, which is what I do with the box for my reading deck.

The sets with the big boxes are very awkward. I just have to live with mine, because I'd cut off my hand before I threw one away!
Told you I was weird like that!

Major Tom

Some folks are extra careful. They wear a belt AND braces. :joke:

If you're especially nervous you can keep your deck in the original box, inside a bag, inside a wooden box.

Whatever feels good is the right answer here.

Lillie

Major Tom said:
Some folks are extra careful. They wear a belt AND braces. :joke:

If you're especially nervous you can keep your deck in the original box, inside a bag, inside a wooden box.

Whatever feels good is the right answer here.

:( yes :(

Once they are in their boxes and in their bags they all go in a big wooden box together.

*Everyone shouts 'ANAL' and throws tomatoes*

lark

I find that the boxes ruin the bags so I use a fabric ponytail holder with no metal on it around my cards...then they go in the bag.
In the US they are called "no ouch" ponytail holders.
They come in all different colors so you can match them to the colors of your decks.
Been doing this for years and have do damage on my cards from it.

But don't use the ones with metal they scratch your cards and ruin the sides.
OR rubber they degrade over time and leave a sticky discoloration on the sides of your cards.

Jewel

Lillie said:
:( yes :(

Once they are in their boxes and in their bags they all go in a big wooden box together.

*Everyone shouts 'ANAL' and throws tomatoes*
Lillie, I will join your club ... I don't have a wooden box they all go in, but I did purchase some bookshelves strictly for my tarot collection so the boxes would not get messed up. I also keep every card and LWB that comes with the deck. Anal is not always bad ... and in any case I can assure you you are not alone.