Struggling With BBC Cats

flicker

Hi having problems navigating the BBC cats deck and I have had to put it away sadly. The deck isnt happy with me, I pick it up and its as if its giving me a verbals 'go away,not now,take a hike, your not ready for us yet'
Is it possible to use too many decks at once, and have different themes
clashing against one another? so maybe I am mixing too many genres together. Cats, Fae and Gothic. Just a thought as I am feeling quite drained by it all.

I just feel as if I have to work with the other decks (bohemian gothic and the Faeries Oracle at the moment

.I feel its a deck that will demand extra time and understanding. I do see it as a fun deck one that will make people smile. I love the humor in it dont get me wrong and the fact it has cats as, I am a cat lover and the sunny outlook is lovely. I am finding myself overwhelmed by it all. I am unsure to what level the deck is aimed at beginner, intermermediate or advanced. I have been studying a few years and still feel I am a novice in many ways. ( I cant create tarot spread and struggle with real meanings to cards as, I work intuitively solely through visions)
I would like to know from others their experiences of the deck, how it reads for you and in indepth readings. If it has been used for professinal readings or if it is used as something fun and I am taking the deck too seriously.
I dont wish to offend the creators about the seriousness of the deck or the artwork, infact Idont wish to offend at all.I'd like some input on the deck if anyone has the time.

Thanks for your patience

Flicker

enchanted spirit

Well, the BBC can be a bit snotty at times, I guess it's the whole cat thing! LOL If you aren't getting along with the kitties just now, don't feel bad to put them up. It sounds like you are working with several decks just now - some people can do that but I can't. The kitties will wait until you can give them the attention they deserve. If not, you will hear their muffled mews from wherever you stashed them.

6 Haunted Days

The BBC is pretty much images for image a clone of a RWS, so it's very much a beginner's deck.

Very easy read for most, have you ever used the RWS or a clone? Did you get on with it?

Aerin

I use my background knowledge of the RWS to read with the kitties, and add on the special 'take' that they have on the cards. As a beginner, I learnt on the RWS so that was the best way for me. I find that they can be very direct in all sorts of readings, serious or not: it isn't a fluffy deck by any means. Helps with dark questions as well, in a way that reminds you not to take things too seriously.

But I am someone who spent time studying the RWS together with the card meanings using Mary Greer's Tarot Reversals plus Joan Bunning's site and Thirteen's card meanngs from Aeclectic. I spent time until I could see these meanings expressed in the cards, and only then felt able to branch off into other decks and read more intuitively. I also use the book after I have done my initial take on the cards, in the BBC case this usually adds some nuances and ideas I hadn't thought of.

I think the BBC has things to offer on all levels of tarot knowledge. But I don't know how I'd have got on if I hadn't studied the RWS meanings, it opens you to so many decks out there.

Aerin

Alta

Hi flicker,

Looking at your post, I wonder if you question is less about your specific deck (the BBCats) or about your learning block in general at the moment.

You said: Is it possible to use too many decks at once, and have different themes clashing against one another? so maybe I am mixing too many genres together. Cats, Fae and Gothic. Just a thought as I am feeling quite drained by it all.

To me this is the core of your question, and perhaps your best course might be to choose one deck (likely not the BBCats as you are mentally blocked against it at this point) and stick with it for a while.

The deck itself is a charming RWS 'almost clone' and is actually very easy to read, so I surmise that isn't the issue. You are possibly overwhelmed, like going to a banquet and finding that 'too much is too much'.

Marion

HearthCricket

I love the BBC's but it took me almost a year before I actually warmed up to them and started using them on a regular basis. There does seem to be a "right time" for using certain decks. I think you are very right in feeling that you might have too many themes going at once. Sometimes it is best to work with one or two decks at a time and see how that goes before overwhelming yourself with such a variety pack. As time goes on you might find it doesn't bother you as much, as you get more familiar with various decks, but working with fewer decks might be more rewarding for you. Put the BBC's aside for when you are ready for a change. Don't feel like just because you have a new deck you have to use is right away. It will be there when you are ready for it! :)

flicker

Aerin said:
. But I don't know how I'd have got on if I hadn't studied the RWS meanings, it opens you to so many decks out there.

Aerin

You have helped me loads with your replies. The Merlin Tarot was my starter deck. I then used the Hanson-Roberts in a spiritual circle and they didnt give us meanings but got us to work intuitively through mediumship exercises. I havent sat down and learnt the meanings for each of the RWS cards. I have brief key words which I know but, if I was to go indepth into the meanings of the traditional ideas of each colour,symbol etc I wouldn't have a clue.
I do have some RWS clones now but I still get very frustrated at not knowing the meanings. Perhaps this is where I am not finding the cards accessible. I shouldnt be looking at the pictures but, remembering what the words mean, the titles beneath the cards which are cuesto recall lessons learnt. I fear that I will have to relearn it all right from scratch. I Feel like dont have enough time in the day to do eevrything as, I am doing many things at once.

Aerin

Well flicker, there's no Law of Tarot that says you have to learn the meanings... but it was right for me. I have the Merlin, totally different system and while I use the Majors the pips are kind of ugly - I think of it more like an oracle deck because it is so different.

I wouldn't say I ever go in depth exactly. I don't personally bother with astrology/ kabbalah/ colours/ etc etc, but I do know the story of the Majors and each suit pretty well by now and through time each card has built up a battery of meanings for me as I have read more and worked with more decks. I use this knowledge AND the pictures to work with, because one sheds light on the other for me and different decks have slightly different takes. Thirteen's set of meanings is a good place to start for an overview, the book is usually useful but not always, some people really love looking at each card in minute detail in a study group...

But it depends on you and what is right for you.

Personally I can cope with 2 decks at a time but ONLY if they are from the same system. I couldn't cope with learning 2 systems at once e.g. trying to Marseilles and Thoth and RWS at the same time. Head would burst open.

(And I still can't Merlin: not prepared to put the time in for such a different system.)

Aerin

flicker

Thanks. I am going to have to allow the BBC time and give myself space to work with my other decks.I think I need to sit down and make a timetable so, I can find more hours to do things. I need to decide how long to spend on each thing. I am cramming at the moment as well for an exam & I am not finding cramming to be the best thing to take up.
A Thoth against a Marseilles is a good point it would be out of my league to study the two at once. Such opposites. It is one reason I gave my Marseille away and I dont touch my Thoth ever. I think I need to just sit and enjoy the BBC deck sometime and take up a light hearted approach to it and see it in a innocent way. I think I have become moody as,way too serious about the deck and not learn to just enjoy it. It's like i've become so serious about studying I have forgotten to enjoy it all as well.

Promise

As I'm reading this, I really see the root of the problem being with the number of decks you're using, and not with a particular deck.

I know when I first began my read, I read everything I could and I inundated myself with so many different decks that all I did was confuse myself thoroughly. I had to limit myself so that I was able to string things together logically in my mind and not just have things jumping out at me from absolutely nowhere.

Have you tried simply picking one deck and working with it for a while? It doesn't have to be an insane time-frame, but maybe a week alone with each deck would help you to focus in and study.