Sun and 3 of cups as trustworthy ???

Ethereal

how would one read these two cards in regards to a question:

how trustworthy is X?

Sun 3 of cups

I know the elements clash. (sun fire, cups water) both cards upright

I would read this as they are not an open person, reading the sun as RX. they keep things shady in the dark, all the while acting like life is one good time party, your're their best-est friend. maybe phoniness here? anyone?

Inana

Why would you read the Sun as reversed?

The Sun is about light, clarity, friendship, confidence, truth coming to light. To me this combo signals a friend. Maybe he likes to gossip or finds hard to keep secrets because of his social nature. But is not someone who would lie to you.

Ethereal

I was looking at the elemental clash. the sun, fire. the 3 of cups water.
even though they were upright, I took the clash into effect. the gossping, cant keep secrets because of their social nature, hmmm great food for thought! thanks for bringing that up!
jotting It down!

Ethereal

curious, about the elemental clash, here. how would one read these two cards in a larger spread, if the majority of cards were wands, and no other cups, water element involved. would the fire overtake the water then? make the reading more of a positive spin , in regards to trustworthiness, then a negative spin..not trustworthy? I am looking at it now as positive in trustworthiness ; more of inana's take on it.

rwcarter

Looking at the cards elementally, the Sun would be the primary card and the 3C would be the modifier. So in terms of trustworthiness, the combo suggests an open, warm, friendly type (Sun) who may enjoy the drink a little too much and/or whose personality changes while drinking. So, sober, I'd say the person is quite trustworthy. Get a drink or three in them though and that's a quite different story....

As for how the interpretation of these two cards would change in a larger spread made up mostly of wands with no other cups, it really depends on the layout of the cards. If there is a Wand on the left side of the Sun, then the 3C's effect on the Sun is severely weakened as the Wand supports the Sun. If there's a Wand card on the right side of the 3C, it becomes the central card in a triad, completely changing the interpretation anyway.

Rodney

Ethereal

interesting...there was a wand card to the left of the sun, it was the 10 of wands.
the end of the cycle in wands, burdens. so, I would read that as the drink does effect this person. being end of cycle 10 wands. correct, or not?

Ethereal

maybe the person with drink 3 cups , becomes woe is me type. like all the responsibility is on this person, and that is how the drink changes their trustworthiness, insofar as how the drink effects their thinking?

rwcarter

interesting...there was a wand card to the left of the sun, it was the 10 of wands.
the end of the cycle in wands, burdens. so, I would read that as the drink does effect this person. being end of cycle 10 wands. correct, or not?
That's not the way I would read that, but then again I didn't pick those cards, you did.

In the triad 10W Sun 3C, you have FFW. So the person in question finds happiness (Sun) from shouldering the burdens of others (10W because it strengthens the interpretation of the Sun), which sounds like a trustworthy type to me. 3C would then indicate that the person may party a little too much or have "loose lips", but that's a minor foible that doesn't greatly affect that person's trustworthiness.

Ethereal

oh..ok...I can see this. that this person is happy shouldering the burdens. (this makes sense, because this person cared for a handicapped relative on occasion). partying to much in the 3 of cups, or have loose lips, agree. but, you are so right it wouldn't mean that they are untrustworthy. thanks so much! when I look at the other cards in the spread, it makes sense, now.

danieljuk

I don't read elements so going to ignore any clashing. I see this as someone who is trustworthy, they are happy and positive as a person and like to be sociable. They are the sort of person at a party who will talk to everyone in a room, very nice and outgoing person I think. I know someone like this and they are trustworthy because they show no malice to anyone and they don't gossip between people. However they thrive around people and bring a warmth but they are not so great alone and by themselves! With the 3 of cups there they are sensitive to other's needs with that suits influence.