SUN..negative????

niki frm india

hi people
i am kind of confused as to the meaning of the card-SUN(RW)....can this card be negative too????...i have always thought it to be a positive card even if its reversed but the other day when i was surfing a site i dont remeber...it said that SUN(reversed) can also mean loss of job or home, a broken engagement...

if sun is supposed to be positive then how can it lead to negative results????
any comments??

love
niki

SunChariot

That depends on both how you read Tarot cards and how you use reversals. There are many ways to read Tarot. We all seem to have to find our own paths.

In the way I read, it's possible that the upright Sun could have a negative meaning. I read very intuitively, simply by analysing the card's imagery in conjunction with the question asked. I rarely use books or book meanings, if I ever do check the book meanings it's just to flesh out some ideas, not a major part of the reading at all.

Now the thing about reading intuitively is that not only does the same card in different decks have different meanings, but also the exact same card in the same deck can and usually does mean very very diffferent things on different occasions. So yes, one day a card can have a positive message, the next day the very same card can have a negative one. I use the word negative here loosely, as nothing is "negative" in Tarot, it is a great tool to improve ones life. All it's messages are useful and usefulness in our lives is a positive thing.

The way I use reversals would not change a positive card into a negative one though. In the method I use, a reversed card has the exact same meaning as the upright one, BUT the reversla indicates a blockage that needs to be corrected. The reversed card indicates the same energy is active as in the upright card, this energy or event is trying to assert itself in your life, but you are doing something to block it. It can only manifest itself in your life once you stop blocking it. THat means that if this is an event you want to happen, you need to figure out how you are preventing it from happening and to stop doing so. If the event is something you don't wish to happen, you can do readings to see how you can prevent it...

Hope this helps,

Bar

Al Si'ra

This card once represented itself negatively-mm not really negative but not really pleasent..

As a daily reading i pulled this card and i thought i'd have this wonderful day..And that day i was like out of control with my energy did silly things very childish foolish things and i just couldn't stop myself from being so reckless and all..very emberassing..lol..i was unbearable..i am sure..

But look at the card..it COULD indicate all of what i've gone through ..There's a child riding freely (rider waite) and i am sure he can too get out of control very easily as he is holding on to nothing-irresponsible actions...can lead to negative outcomes..

Love

Sophie

Of course the Sun can be negative, even if you don't read cards reversed. It all depends on the circumstance it is drawn in - which will be shown by the other cards.

For instance, if you are supposed to be studying hard because you have exams and the Sun comes up as your attitude to exams, and the outcome is the 5 of Swords, then the Sun is negative: it shows an inconsequential and irresponsible attitude, a holiday attitude when you should be studying, and leads to failure. Or if you take the Sun meaning "illumination" - the light of the Sun in the wrong circumstance can be too strong, dazzling, and instead of being illuminated you are blinded. Instead of warming, the Sun can burn...

So although it is generally a happy card, it can be out of place, or too much of a good thing!

niki frm india

great help

hey thanx everybody for so much help and for ur expertise
well yes you all are right, negativity or positivity of a card depends on the question or the occasion for which its drawn.
i remember how once i interpreted this card(in a negative way).
i got a news that my uncle's friend and his family met with an accident but was unsure about the condition of his kid...i was realy worried so i decide to consult my cards...the cards showed me a beautiful picture...first card was page of wands which i read as that the kid was a very young kid who has just begun his journey of life..just entered this world knows nothing about it..just here for fun(i knew nothing about the kid his age,gender nothing!)
the second card was SUN..which i interpreted as - god came on earth giving light to all in the form of sun(the accident happened in morning)...carrying the child on his back(the horse)...and took him away on his chariot(as this was my third card...i readily told my mom that i think that baby is no more and after a span of 15 minutes a call came declaring the death of the child..this made me cry...but life has to move on..

one more thing i dont use reversals so all my cards were upright

Thirteen

niki frm india said:
hi people
i am kind of confused as to the meaning of the card-SUN(RW)....can this card be negative too????...i have always thought it to be a positive card even if its reversed but the other day when i was surfing a site i dont remeber...it said that SUN(reversed) can also mean loss of job or home, a broken engagement...
I can't see the Sun, even reversed, as meaning a "loss of job or home" etc. That doesn't sit right with me, personally.

However, the idea of a reversed card is that the energy is blocked. So when you get the Sun reversed, that's rather like an eclipse there. The energy of the Sun is blocked or going wrong. Reason and logic lead to unhappy results, things are going a bit wrong instead of right, the illumination is cold rather than warm.

Upright, the Sun need not be positive either. There've been a few posts on this subject reminding people that too much Sun gives you a Sunburn. That bright light can blind you. And the illumination of Reason--which is the Sun Card, can sometimes keep you from following feelings and instincts that, in certain instances, may be more right than logic.

There's an up and down side to all the cards.

skeetonwarde

Hey niki! I;m still learning the tarot myself but I feel The Sun does have a definate negative side. that of over work and over burdoning yourself - burning yourself out. the sun can be beautiful and provide life giving light, but it can also burn.

Amhran

I have a lot to learn!

I've been reading mostly intuitively for a long time, but this discussion shows me how I have a lot to learn. I don't think I would have ever seen the Sun as negative, but now I can see that perfectly. I think learning to see the negative in what seems to be a purely positive card, and vice-versa adds so much depth and subtlely to one's reading.

And Bar (SunChariot), I reallly like the way you interpret reversals, as a blockage rather than the complete opposite of the card's meaning. (Though I assume once in a while "complete opposite" is warranted.)

Abrac

The sun always the potential for good or ill, imo. Light and heat are beneficial in the right amount. Too much or too little can be destructive.

-fof

Sophie

According to Bruce Chatwin, among the beduins of the Arabian peninsula, the Sun is a harsh and bony old woman, mean and who hates life; the Moon is a beautiful and gentle young man who soothes the world after it has been burnt by the Sun. But the Moon has the misfortune of being married to the Sun: a single night with her will wither him, and it takes him 28 days to recover...

;)