Swords-intellect or conflict?

littleneptune

I have always interpreted the 4 suits of the minor arcana as representing the elements: feeling, thinking, spiritual/creative, physical. However, upon studying the minor scenes in my RWS deck I notice that the Sword element doesn't address intellectual issues and accomplishments at all, just various degrees of conflict (except the Ace). So now I'm wondering, what do the Swords really represent in this deck? If the answer is conflict (as seen in the imagery) then isn't an element missing from the deck? And if the answer is intellect, then where are the images of intellectual accomplishment? Any feedback would be appreciated...

Two of Wands

This is a really good question, and one I've often struggled with myself. I'm sure, however, that there will be some good insights and thoughts coming your way soon, which I think I too will benefit from.

Laurel

Littleneptune, go with your intuitions as opposed to the LWB. I think you'll find a lot of people make those attributions that you were already making. Anything that feels "natural" when it comes to what suits or specific cards represent is probably the best interpretation to utilize.

~Laurel

Two of Wands

Yes but the LWB is not at issue here - it is the images themselves!

Rusty Neon

Hi littleneptune and Two of Wands ... You're asking about the images themselves. I presume you're referring to those in the Rider-Waite and related clones.

The images of the Swords suit pips in the Rider-Waite illustrate:

(a) Golden Dawn meanings, and
(b) traditional, pre-Golden meanings used by Etteilla or various Continental European cartomancers.

Many of the Golden Dawn meanings themselves also derive from Etteilla and Continental European cartomancy meanings.

In the GD, Etteilla and cartomancy meanings, the Swords suit is generally a suit of 'conflict' and sorrow. Thus, the Rider-Waite images would reflect this.

However, as conflict and sorrow do have a mental component, we can therefore see that Swords is in a certain way also about the 'intellectual' .

If you wish to take a broader psychological view of conflict and sorrow, you can look upon Swords as a suit about transformations and mind states.

Looking at Swords as a more neutral suit and an intellectual suit seems to be a post-GD, post Mr. Waite development.

Of course, you are free to interpret the cards and suits, and the images in the cards, as you feel best. After all, there are no rules in tarot.

skytwig

When you look at the images, can you see how the swords might be individual thoughts at war within the mind?

Does our thinking often bring us the torment, worry, sorrow, fear that we endure?

Do we create mental chaos, which, in turn, affects our mood and our level of hope?

Can we look at such indicators and see a need for change in our thinking, thereby influencing our lives in a positive way?

just some thoughts...... skytwig :)

Two of Wands

I think you're right Skytwig. The mind, our thoughts, intellect, learnings, teachings, wants, yearnings ect, are so often in conflict and I think this can be looked at allegorically through the images of the sword suit. There is much in the inner workings of our minds that we seek to work out and attempt (or sometimes don't attempt) to resolve.

When I first saw this thread I wanted to express something like that, but couldn't quite get there in my head until Skytwig came along; and the rest, as they say, is history!

skytwig

Well, I just happen to be one who has spent a lot of time in my head, you know? Am learning it's wonder and it's "traps"....... ;)

ihcoyc

This is one of the issues I've always had with the RWS tradition. Actual "conflict" strikes me as being more Wands business. Nightmares, heartbreak, and sorrow strike me as Cups business.

Conflict is possible with the Swords --- well, conflict is possible in Coins as well --- but the conflict in the Swords is likelier to be cattyness and arguing than fisticuffs. In Wands, people can fight physically, for rank and power, or to display their own courage and bravado. In Coins, for possessions. In Cups, it's blubbering and manipulation, and in Swords, it's two professors who call each other quacks and write scathing reviews of each other's theories in scientific journals.

The RWS/Golden Dawn system strikes me historically as a mixture: not quite elemental/numerology/Qabalah, not quite Etteilla traditional cartomancy. The tension is greatest in the suit of Swords, where the traditional meanings of misfortune --- that ultimately seem to come from the association of Spades in pre-Tarot cartomancy --- are mixed into the system.

littleneptune

Yes Skytwig, but what about intellectual accomplishment? Is this not worthy of celebrating (beyond the potential of the Ace) like the celebration of marriage or a creative project? I admit there is a negative side to the intellect, but isn't it just as true of emotions? And what about the Sword courts? Do they now represent people of conflict, rather than impartial thinking types?