Symbology Study Group: Fool July 3-July 17

tabi

This is to study the symbols in the Fool, it doesn't have to be for a specific deck at all. This is the Master List.

This is the Fool from my Witches deck by Llewellyn, this is a deck that I only use strictly for myself. The upper and lower corners you'll see half spheres: One white the other is grey, this is due to this particular deck showing how the Major connect in the Tree of Life in the cards themselves. The Fool is the 11th Path, connecting Kether (Sphere 1) to Chokmah (Sphere 2).

The Fool himself surprises me a bit, I always think of the Fool as someone younger, but this one is older and facing you as if he is showing you something. And that something is on that piece of paper that he is holding. The tradition Fool meanings are there. IE: The bag of things that he will need in his journey and the cliff that he is trying to fall off of because of his need to show off? His stride is a bit long for someone is in his situation. That paper is again something that I'm not sure what or how it plays into the entire thing.

Attachments

• Fool_Witches.jpg
    Fool_Witches.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 133

AJ

I'm working with the Victorian Romantic this week.
I'm copy/pasting a post I did eariler this week about this card in the VR thread.

Attached is the Fool plus the full image the VR fool is taken from.
The companion book talks about fools through history. Court fools or jesters who were the lowliest of the low, and hence were the only ones in the kingdom allowed the freedom to speak their mind.
Clowns, like this one, while appearing to be fools and foolish, are actually highly trained porformers...excellent acrobatics, have their timing skills down to the split second, and entertain in the spotlight while the other performers are backstage.

As you can see in the full image, this fool is crucial to the success of this act. If he, while poised unstably, doesn't handle the ribbon rein as needed the horse stumbles and the acrobat falls.

The fool is the cornerstone...If you've ever seen or been to a rodeo in person, you will be familiar with the rodeo clowns...they too are cornerstones of that art/sport.

Attachments

• VicRom.jpg
    VicRom.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 135
  • FullImage.jpg
    FullImage.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 122

tabi

Random Thoghts

Over the years the definition of a Fool has changed greatly, from being a "job" of sorts to the point of being a stupid or silly person. I agree with you completely while the Fool may seem to be foolish or silly there is something highly intelligent behind them.

They also remind me a great deal of those people are are so street smart that they can amazing you with their abilities to do or not do something. But if you looked deeper into the book smart aspect of them it would NOT be there at all. Most carvial workers are this way, since they grew up in this very close "family" but didn't have any formal training in schools or school settings.

Rodeo clowns are insane to me, I have seen several mostly on TV but I'm stunned at the mount of courage that goes into doing that. They are the only thing between a rider and a bull at times. Not a place that I would willing tread.

<SIDE NOTE: Anyone can add random thoughts to the thread it doesn't have to just be me. As long as it is dealing with the particular card we are studying. :D>

Water Lady

Can anyone join your study? I like the indepth study idea..

I will be using the Victorian Romance, it arrives next week.
I love the Fool, I agree he is smart, he is the center of attention and any 'jokes' are well planned out not accidents.
I also love about him the living in the moment, the Love of Life, you can see it in his face.... something I am trying more to do.

AJ

Any one can jump in Nan, anyone can post and/or comment on a Fool card from any deck.
We also have a Hanged Man thread and a Tower thread that can be added to at any time, any deck. There is a link to the mother thread in Tabi's 1st post.

The more decks we have cards from the better global understanding we get from a card, and away from the mental lock of quick keywords.
If you can't add a scan please post a link from an on-line image, or ask and I'll post a scan for you.

tabi

This is probably my favorite Fool out of all of my decks. The setting alone is enough to make you fall in love with it. (especially if Fall is your favorite season)

This one depicts a man riding a white horse hard, as a white dog/wolf follows right next to him. They are both jumping over a waterfall. Where they are coming from doesn't look any safer then where they are going to land. There is a small rainbow coming out of the waterfall in the lower right corner. The man is wearing a suit (can't tell color), his cape is a bright orange-ish color. He is carrying three large spears/sticks one with a yellow-ish bag and ribbon flying from it. Rocks and trees makes up the background in this card, it seems to be mid-autumn but the yellow leafs.​

I did read the book unfortunately I don't have quick assects to it, however the creator talks about this man running towards his future. Not taking time to consider or rethink things but rushing head long and be damned the consequences.

The white horse, means pure heart or thought involved. The white dog/wolf, is again pure but in protection someone to look out for you while you run into foolish things.

The waterfall is that dangerous thing of knowing that you probably shouldn't but you do it anyway because what you want is just right on the other side of it. The rainbow is that hope and dream coming true.

Attachments

• Fool_Llew.jpg
    Fool_Llew.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 138

Sidhe-Ra

I've just finished the first draft of the little write up for The Fool for the Transparent Tarot- may I share?

Blessings,

Em xxx

Attachments

• transparent- Fool.doc
    168 KB · Views: 202

AJ

Very nice Sidhe-Ra. I like how you pull the fool into other cards, offering the book reader small lessons in reading a spread. Good job.

tabi

I like the way you wrote about the Fool. It is an easy to understand idea that is open-ended enough for the reader to take over from there.

And again I do agree with AJ here, I like the fact that you do give an idea of what the Fool means when presented in a reading. Especially helpful to new readers.

Side Note: I do like your Fool a great deal in the Transparent: http://www.childofavalon.com/ The simple symbols come through in a quiet tone.

Raya

Sidhe-Ra said:
I've just finished the first draft of the little write up for The Fool for the Transparent Tarot- may I share?

Blessings,

Em xxx

I didn't know the Transparent Tarot was literally transparent. That is so - flipping - cool.

I must have this deck along with the Sidhe-Ra.