T for tree ( hanged man)

jentayu

temperlyne said:
In his book, tarot and the journey of the hero, Banzhaf connects the t to the greek letter tau, who's hebraic equivalent thau resembles the framwork in marseille style decks. He considers it the mark of the chosen one, of cain, which ment that a person market by that sign was under the protection of the god.
Also he states that when the world card is put above the hanged man, they form the shape of an ankh. The egyptian symbol of life.

Well, probably there are plenty of meanings for this card......... I also don't know for sure. but from what I have read, this card represent the God Tyr who hanged himself on a tree ( I forgot it's name, sorry..... ) to obtain knowledge.

there's just so plenty of different explanations for a single card in tarot, I'm really confused, but I agree with you BTW. Thanks for the info Temperlyne :)

Fulgour

jentayu said:
there's just so plenty of different explanations for a single card
in tarot, I'm really confused...
While every card may be viewed one by one,
remember they also come from one deck too.
They may be confusing at times, but they all
fit together and you decide how it is to be:

Number
Name
Attributions
and YOU!
:)

jentayu

Fulgour said:
While every card may be viewed one by one,
remember they also come from one deck too.
They may be confusing at times, but they all
fit together and you decide how it is to be:

Number
Name
Attributions
and YOU!
:)

Thanx fulgour for the advice. Because of that, I never took the symbols seriously............ I just use the tarot completely for divination ( plus other stuff also ) and use intuition, like in the old ways. thanx BTW for the advice again Fulgour, you're a big helper :)

Earthly Virgo

T and Tau

This card was originally taught to me as the "work you have already done in the ethereal realm being brought down into material world". That sort of resonates with me...

I recently went on a retreat and met some Francsican Friars who wear a Tau instead of the usual cross upon which Christ died. They believe that the tau truly represents the cross...ie a bridge from earthly consciousness to spritual/divine consciousness(my interpretation not theirs).

This means for me then that it is the conduit for past knowledge...inherited knowledge, now coming into your present life. (I am still playing with these thoughts...so forgive me if they dont quite gel yet!).

psychic sue

Rachel Pollock says :

"The hanged man hangs on a tree shaped like the letter "T". Now, this is the bottom half of the Ankh. Egyption symbol of life and it is sometimes calles a Tau Cross. According to Case the Ankh in eygpt stood for the Hebrew letter Tau., which is the letter belonging to the world. Thus, the hanged man lies half way to the World. We see this also in the fact that 12 is 21 backwards, and if you turn the Hanged Man upside down, you will have almost the same figure as the World dancer. When we ask therefore what card serves as a halfway point for the Major Arcana, the answer is not one, but three - the Wheel, Justice and The Hanged Man - symbolising a process rather than a moment".

kwaw

T in christian religious iconography also symbolises the anti-christ. This may also relate it to being a '2' letter ['deuce' traditionally 'the devil's number]. Also the 'brazen serpent' of Moses was commonly depicted hanging upon a 'T'.

Kwaw

kwaw

kwaw said:
Also the 'brazen serpent' of Moses was commonly depicted hanging upon a 'T'.

Kwaw

"The Israelites, discontented with life in the desert, spoke out against God and Moses. They were punished with a plague of poisonous snakes which only increased their hardships. Many died of snakebite. When the people repented, Moses sought God's advice how they should be rid of the snakes. He was told to make an image of one and set it on a pole. Whoever was bitten would be cured when he looked upon the image. Moses accordingly made a serpent of brass on a tau-shaped (T) pole, which proved to have a miraculous curative effect."
end quote

"And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life."—John 3:14.

The following link is to a sermon by the Rev. Spurgeon, so called 'Prince of the Preachers' in the 19th century, upon the 'Mysteries of the Brazen Serpent'. It may be relevant because Waite was familiar with his work, and he is listed in the 'mystical bibliography' of Evelyn Underhill, a member of the Golden Dawn under the leadership of Waite:

http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0153.htm

The brazen serpent is the Qabalistical Serpent of Wisdom twined about the Central Pillar of the Tree of Life and in Christian Symbolism is a type of Christ Crucified. This would relate to the positioning of the hanged man on the ToL, mentioned in an earlier post.

Kwaw

cormac

there is a technique used to grow fruit trees in this manner along something such as a handrail -- i'm sorry i've forgotten the name for it but it's a french word -- you can have a handrail and plant an apple tree (for example) at the upright and then train the branches to grow along the rail -- not only 'hiding' and beautifying the handrail but also making fruit very accessible for all -- (this is one of my 'great dreams' for my garden ;) )

not sure what this might have to do with the hanged man's tree but just thought it might be a worthwhile piece of information :)

and according to my readings on crucifixion, this is the shape of a cross used, not the cross we have come to identify with christ's crucifixion :)

Rosanne

Hi Cormac- is the word Espalier?

bibi

In general I think of the "T" as a balanced letter which reminds also of the human frame. It might not be as rigid as an H, but the point of the Hanged Man card is also to wait for a realisation to 'impact' you enough to illuminate you starting with the spiritual plain (the top of the T and going down to the roots).

I am a strong believer in the power of trees. I recommend sitting on a park bench and looking at a big tree (no need to hug! lol) you can gain an incredible energy, postivity and balance by concentrating on one.
Bibi x