Talk therapy with my preteen

mosaica

I did a reading for my 11yo daughter the other day. She did not ask for it, but she was feeling upset about something, and I offered to draw some cards. I think it helped both of us. She felt invited to talk about her issue, and I felt like the cards greased the wheels for me to find things to say to her. It isn't always easy to know what to say to someone when they have a problem, and the cards gave us both something external to talk about -- the images -- and, in so doing, almost indirectly we came at the problem.

Sometimes I wonder why I am so obsessed with these packs of cards, but the exercise of reading them can become a valuable exercise in talk therapy, as well as a relationship builder.

Just wanted to share!
Mosaica

Disa

What a wonderful experience. I just did this with my 15 year old daughter over the weekend. Though she has a couple of her own decks, she isn't too interested in them. I told her I just needed some practice. She asked some questions about things that were important to her, and we had a a pretty good discussion. I really do think it helped her to see things from another perspective, and opened a whole new way of communicating for us. She said we could do it again in the future. (We did 3 spreads that day)

I'm hoping that her interest in the cards will grow, and that she will eventually use them one day to seek her own answers, but for now- this worked out great!

Thanks for sharing your story. I agree that it's a catalyst for talk therapy as well as a relationship builder.

Disa

VintageButtons

What a smart idea, I'll have to remember that. My 10 year old loves looking at my cards and flipping additional one's over for me, especially when I'm not looking..lol..I know she's interested and I've been trying to think of a way to break her into it, how simple to just use them to talk about our day and things. I bet we'd both learn a lot, about tarot and otherwise..:)