Teaching the Cards to a Preteen

mosaica

My 11yo daughter would like to learn the cards in order to create her own deck. Any suggestions for helping her (and me) to feel less overwhelmed by the prospect of learning card meanings? I'm still a relative beginner to the cards myself and would like to find a way to simplify things a little bit for her. Her favorite deck is the Hanson-Roberts, which is of course a good start.

Thanks!
Mosaica

Umbrae

this will sound silly at first...but...

Don't teach her the cards.

Have her teach you the cards.

mosaica

Umbrae,

That does make some sense. After all, I've told her that reading books can sometimes cause more confusion that be helpful, and the one of best things to do is look at the cards and think about what they are saying to you. Even better, sometimes, is to try to explain it.

mosaica

le fey

The great thing about preteens is that they lack the weight of years' worth of preconceptions. The other great things about preteens is that they learn by playing.

let your preteen play with the cards - lay them out and make up stories with them, act them out, play 'where's waldo' to find the elemental clues hiding in the pictures, read for you, figure out the ways the cards speak to favorite story, TV, movie characters... whatever grabs her interest and sense of fun. When an event or situation or person pops up during the course of the day, playfully ask, 'quick! which card is this?' and let her ramble about the answer, showing how her train of thought on the subject leads to that card.

Share how it's a serious tool, but approach it playfully and with joy. This isn't studying math for a test - it's catching fireflies and making a wish before letting them go.

mosaica

Of course, my fear is that the cards will be too daunting for her and she'll give up -- no matter how I approach them. I really need to let go and let her work with the cards in her own way. They'll always be there for her should she decide she wants them.

I'm not very good at explaining things (which is one reason that I personally like the cards because they say in pictures what is often hard to say with words), so I feel unable to really help her with them. I think she has inherited some of that from me (and from my husband), so I would be delighted if she found a connection with the cards.

I think she has. Her favorite card ever since she first saw them was the Eight of Swords. Says a lot!

Gayla, I read the poll thread. There was some great stuff said there about introducing children to Tarot! How did your article come out?

Mosaica

Thirteen

mosaica said:
I'm not very good at explaining things (which is one reason that I personally like the cards because they say in pictures what is often hard to say with words), so I feel unable to really help her with them.
Hey, you can always drop her off here. We've had, I believe, youthful posters before. We'd be happy to help.

And I recommend that you consider taking her to buy her own tarot deck; something kid friendly like Tarot of the Moon Garden or maybe the Halloween deck would be good, but in the end, it's always best to let her glance through the sample deck and pick the one that she falls in love with. If it's HER deck, she'll be more motivated to learn.

If she doesn't, however, then as you wisely point out, it's no big deal. I remember attempting to learn tarot several times when I was younger, and it never quite took. I just wasn't ready to learn it yet. If she really wants to learn, and the time is right, she'll learn. If it's not yet time, then she'll come back to it when she's older and learn it then.

Open Arms

I agree with Thirteen - get her a deck that is HERS that she can play with, sleep with, make stories up about or whatever. if she wants to , she can start a journal or diary, maybe scan them into her computer and do it electronically. I personally prefer to use pen and paper but it is whatever is comfortable for her.

Show her the range of decks that are available and let her choose it - one that she feels truly comfortable with.

She doesn't have to use "set" spreads - she can make it up as she goes along - many people here do! I often have to make one up one the fly as not all questions and situations fit into neat little pigeon holes!

Let her wander around this site, ask some questions, ask her what she thinks a card or combination means....

An old saying to me comes to mind..

"A child's eyes sees clearest."

Good luck and blessings to you both!!

willowfox

I think that the right deck is very important, so she needs to be left alone to chose her own, also having her teach you is a great way for her to learn.

Splungeman

She won't be overwhelmed so long as you aren't overwhelming her. If she likes the card and enjoys playing with them, she will never feel overwhelmed. Does it overwhelm a child to learn all the different powers and aspects of Pokemon cards? Of course not! That's because Pokemon cards are fun and they learn them at their own pace.

I'm totally with Umbrae on this one, let her teach you the cards. If she wants to do some divination work, just let her go for it. She may surprise you with her skills. Children aren't contaminated yet with the cynicism we adults are always fighting, so her readings will probably be more spontaneous and free.

Above all, don't impose rules to the process or tell her that the meaning she came up with for this card or that card is "wrong". That'll have her losing interest in no time. :)

Please keep us posted on her journey with Tarot. Maybe we can all learn something from her. :)