Teaching the Cards to a Preteen

le fey

She might like the Goddess Tarot - doing a quick search through it, there are a few men, but it's primarily women, including all of the Major Arcana.

mosaica

le fey said:
She might like the Goddess Tarot - doing a quick search through it, there are a few men, but it's primarily women, including all of the Major Arcana.

Thank you. That looks like a beautiful deck, and she might like it very much. I'll show it to her when I get a chance.

Mosaica

Starling

mosaica said:
{snip} Then she was wondering how she would do the Lovers card without showing a man on it. :) I think she has some good ideas.

Mosaica

The Lovers also has a meaning that involves a decision. Suggest that she draw that meaning instead of the one that involves a couple.

mosaica

Starling said:
The Lovers also has a meaning that involves a decision. Suggest that she draw that meaning instead of the one that involves a couple.

Good point. Thanks!

le fey

Another thought for a younger person is how to learn what love is - so much more than just romantic love. So an image that shows a girl being loving... positive self image, compassionate acts - choices where the decision is to act from a base of love rather than being negative.

How should would turn that into an image is her choice, but I think it'd be a lovely idea for a young person to consider early that love is something we can have whether or not there is someone else providing it from a romantic context - there are so many images out there that insist that love is only for people who manage to hook up.

Disa

Umbrae said:
this will sound silly at first...but...

Don't teach her the cards.

Have her teach you the cards.

Exactly! My 15 year old daughter was picking things up all on her own which took me 2 years to "learn". I think kids are naturals.

Disa