Taro by Ithell Colquhoun

trzes

I recently read about Ithell Colquhoun and now I'm fiddling with the idea of spending the huge amount of money called by Adam McLean for her rather abstract tarot deck.

The trouble is, that if this deck really is as abstract as it looks on the few pics online, then I problably wouldn't be able to really appreciate the artwork.

Has anybody around got this deck an managed to get anything out of it? Does it "talk" in any way? I'd be happy for all kinds of thoughts or further information about the deck.

(If I missed an already existing thread please tell me)

gregory

It is exactly as abstract as it appears. I am glad I have it but I have never managed to read from it.

trzes

thanks very much for your answers, Patrick and Gregory, although you didn't provide me with the excuse to spend insane amounts of money, I had inwardly hoped for. My wallet will be grateful :D

Oink

When the first half of this run of decks was offered, I dilly-dallied and didn't round up the admittedly large chunk of change to buy it. Then I got stuck with a long wait for the second half of the print run. :( I emailed Adam McLean last March to inquire about it, and I was overjoyed when I recently got an email from him that the deck was available again.

My copy arrived today. (Not sure exactly how many days that was but it was very quick for an international shipment.) I love large cards, and while I'd love to see these images at 5x7" or so :D, they are still probably what most people would consider on the large size of handle-able at 4.7x3.1". The cards are very glossy, and the lamination is quite slick. In general, that is not my preference, but I think it's a necessary evil with this deck. Had the cards been less glossy or the paper less white, I think some of the images where the colors are very similar would have gone muddy. There are no images on the backs of the cards; they are plain white but very opaque (no way to "see through" to the image on the other side).

IMO there are at least three levels to appreciate this deck on. First, it is a great collector's item: a signed, numbered, handmade, 78-card tarot from Adam McLean in a small edition of 100. Secondly, it is quite a work of modern, abstract art. I could (and almost certainly will) spend days looking at these images. Thirdly, and maybe more to the heart of your question, it has strong esoteric/occult components.

Most obviously, the cards are titled with their esoteric names as referenced in Book T. The images themselves are abstract, but the colors are very systematic. The colors in each image, starting from the center and going out (generally), are the colors of that path/sephiroth in each of the four Qabalistic worlds according to Golden Dawn color theory. There's a handy chart here:
http://www.lelandra.com/tarotbook/TreeofLifeColors.htm

I think this deck is amazing both in concept and in execution. It is abstract but not arbitrary. I can see it appealing to the very studious esoteric types who have every Winsor & Newton Designers' Gouache name memorized, but I also see it appealing to the polar opposite - readers who feel restricted by representational symbolism and just want the imagery to convey each card's "mood" so they can take it from there. I really enjoy the Thoth, and in a way this is the concept of Thoth minors taken one step further in abstraction. The people in the middle may not get it, but that's probably just as well since there will only ever be 100 of them to go around. :shhh:

trzes

IMO there are at least three levels to appreciate this deck on. First, it is a great collector's item: a signed, numbered, handmade, 78-card tarot from Adam McLean in a small edition of 100. Secondly, it is quite a work of modern, abstract art. I could (and almost certainly will) spend days looking at these images. Thirdly, and maybe more to the heart of your question, it has strong esoteric/occult components.

Thank you so much! This is exactely the kind of reasons I needed to convince my inner chancellor of the exchequer that the 103 GBP will be a valuable investment. I even see the typical Adam-McLeanish slick glossy lamination as a plus. And the link to the kabbalistic color scheme was very helpful for me too. Thx again.

gregory

Ah. I am CRAP on kabbalah ! But Adam's quality is excellent, as always.

trzes

I got my copy of the Taro Ithell Colquhoun today. And it does talk to me, although I don't really understand it's language yet, so to speak. I'll have to spend some time with it now and also learn a couple of lessons on kabbalah :).

It's truly a very special and intriguing deck. I wasn't sure at all because of the high price tag, but I'm quite happy with it, now that I've got it.

Hanno

Thanks Trzes for the update. I am at a similar stage that you were initially - i.e. not disputing the deck's qualities and depth, simply hesitating due to the price tag.

Can I ask you what are your impression on the cardstock? Size - thickness - quality and brilliance of colours, etc. Thanks in advance, and I am happy for you that the investment proved worth the money.

H.

trzes

Thanks Trzes for the update. I am at a similar stage that you were initially - i.e. not disputing the deck's qualities and depth, simply hesitating due to the price tag.

Can I ask you what are your impression on the cardstock? Size - thickness - quality and brilliance of colours, etc. Thanks in advance, and I am happy for you that the investment proved worth the money.

H.

Sorry, Hanno, for the late answer. I didn't watch this thread for a while. I am with Gregory and Oink, that the quality of the cards is perfect. Thick, very well crafted, they slide well. As Gregory already said, the Adam McLean quality is always excellent (his Lynryd Narciso deck is absolutely gorgeous too!). And the cards are VERY glossy and shiny, I suppose not everybody will like that. But as Oink said, it helps to distinguish the nuances of the colors. The colors are as brilliant as they can get on printed cardstock, I guess, although there are many cards with originally rather low saturated colors. Even they are shiny (sort of dust-brown-metallic feel). Searching for a collector's item you can't go wrong with the deck.

The only downside for me is the really challenging content, if you count color splashes as content. Kabbalah knowledge and plenty of time would probably help, sadly I am short of both at the moment. :)