Tarot and being a Medium - I urgently need your opinions‏

grailmaiden

umbigo said:
I already have an attunment (here in Portugal we call it "level 1" - there are 3 levels), done with another teacher, but this one says that I lost my connection to Reiki. That's why my own treatments are not working - I am not "connected".

Hi umbigo - we have some connections here. I am also in Portugal (i am English) and i have level 1 Reiki that i do not use much. Sometimes i have felt i lost my connection to it as well, but as others have replied, it is not ever lost, just that i cannot feel it if i have not practised.

I had a great "master" that gave me level 1 initiation. She was of the "anything goes" school that suits me very well. She admitted she could never remember the symbols and had had a word with "him upstairs" (she was joking :D) to make sure that Reiki would always work whenever she needed it, regardless of her messing up the symbols.

Thankfully, i have had times when i really needed it and sure enough i can feel it there.

I agree with the other comments that say you do not need to do another initiation or workshop but ideally join a Reiki sharing group, either in person or on the internet. If you practise your connection will come back.

I also agree that you should look to other sources to resolve your insomnia, like a doctor, herbalist or simply by changing your routine. Good luck for a quick recovery.

umbigo

Thank you all for your concerning about my problem.

What really confuses me is that I really don't think this woman wants to take money from me. A new initiation would be really cheap, considering she would spent 4 afternoons alone with me. And she gave me a free Reiki session.

I must say I felt really good during the session... but it didn't have any effect in the insomnia. Yesterday I had an horrible night... like all the others before.

There are some spiritual circles where I live, but... They are too "Christian" for me, if you know what I mean. I don't feel identified with these groups.

memries

Some Spiritualist Churches here believe in Christ and some don't ! Confusing but here in Canada and I am sure in the States it is the same.
Just ask them that's all. Come out and ask. Phone if you want to, people will usually tell you who they are and if they don't you don't want to be there anyway.

I only sleep 5 hours or 6 hours too and sometimes 3. I use the time to do all the things I want to. Usually on here really then when I get tired I go back to bed that's all. I love being up in the middle of the night it is so peaceful and nobody can get to you.

I think you would do well to take up meditation at those times. It is very relaxing and who knows you might just drift off as well. It is really not sleep you need as much as relaxation. You are probably too tense and meditation would help. Plus if it works for you, you get to see all sorts of interesting things.

Umbrae

umbigo said:
When I asked for her opinion about Tarot reading, she absolutely forbade me of touching my tarot deck before I recover my own "balance". For that, I must do a Reiki initiation, meditate and work a lot on Reiki.
This is an opinion from someone who does not understand Tarot.

And to forbid a person from touching their Tarot deck is a crock.

Apollonia

I'm a medium and I have a Reiki Level 2. If you are going to develop your mediumship skills, in my experience you don't need Reiki, but you do need to know how to ground, shield, and clear yourself.

The biggest problem I had with the Reiki classes I took was that the trainer seemed to be very intent on making sure that we understood that Reiki was never to be given away, there was always to be financial gain from the practice of Reiki. That totally turned me off--so much so that in my practice, I charge for most everything else I do, but I'll give away Reiki for free.

I agree that it is desirable to be clear and balanced before beginning mediumship development. Reiki is great, but you don't absolutely have to have it, the clearing and balancing can be done in many ways.

I feel it is also vital, for one's own protection, to have a good working relationship with one's guides. Will ye or nill ye, if you practice mediumship, sooner or later you will end up with some dead dude or dudette, or some other entity, who doesn't want to leave when the party's over, and you need to have the training to know what to do when that happens.

For the grounding, shielding and clearing, I always recommend Debra Katz's book "You Are Psychic." For connecting with your guides and general mediumship, Rose Vanden Eynden's book "So You Want to be a Medium?" is the best I've found.

MysticalMoose

Umbrae said it....Spot On!!!

:)

jackdaw*

Sorry, but to me the therapist's whole advice sounds like a bit of a crock.* I would suggest seeing your doctor about your insomnia. Perhaps he/she can help you find a PHYSICAL cause for why you aren't sleeping and offer some practical suggestions how to take care of it. Or refer you to a reputable alternative method.

My SO sleeps three to four hours on a good night (on a bad night he doesn't sleep at all). So I can empathize. Good luck!

*ETA: I don't mean necessarily the reiki bit, but the year(s) of sessions, the Tarot ban, etc., does sound a bit fishy.

umbigo

Aladdin said:
Like others on here i have endured insomnia for more years than remembered.
No use fighting it so that's why i cast readings in the early hours and sometimes do manage to sleep better afterwards. Could it be that this is more of a problem for air sign / sword people i wonder ?

Curious... My sign is Libra. And my Moon is in Gemini.

umbigo

Umbrae said:
And to forbid a person from touching their Tarot deck is a crock.

Well, it was a manner of speaking... She advised me (and insisted on this advice) not to do readings until I felt somehow "balanced".

Alamaris

Personally, I'd be cautious even if she was offering this stuff for free -- but this is based on my own bad experiences, so take what I have to say with a large grain of salt. ;)

When I was young, stupid, and extremely gullible, I was conned into paying over $4000 to participate in a year long series of workshops. I was to get three levels of Reiki, plus a Master's, as well as every type of mediumship, native ritual, and healing modality you can imagine. I saw "miraculous healings", heard people "communicating" with "spirits and angels", and generally saw nothing that couldn't be explained by rational thinking. I have to add that at the time, I believed all this stuff was possible and actually happening, but after months of experiencing nothing myself and then finally being banned from getting my Master's initiation because I "wasn't good enough at Reiki", I had had enough.

Now, your Reiki lady is probably a wonderfully honest and caring person, but my memories of a wasted year (and wasted money) in that group have made me rather cautious about spiritual teachers such as these. Plus, the fact that she advised you not to use tarot is a little sketchy, as well as her calling you a medium... calling you gifted or psychic I can understand, but mediumship is a label earned by lots of hard work and practice. It made me think of my Reiki teacher calling me all sorts of flattering titles (Indigo Child, angelic energy, gifted psychic, prodigy healer); they made me drop my guard because I was desperate for affection.

My advice would be this: if you feel more uncomfortable using tarot than avoiding it, don't listen to her. Be extremely honest with her if you disagree, and ask heaps of questions. Ask the same questions over and over again. Be wary if she starts asking you to join workshops and things which cost a good amount of money, or wants you to commit to something long-term. I may be one of the few that's been hurt by a New Age spiritual teacher, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Hey, enjoy yourself! But don't let yourself get into a situation where you're not 100% comfortable, however well meaning she is.