Tarot and tea correlations?

romanticdreamz

Well, I was sitting watching Battlestar Galactica and I thought about Tarot and then about tea. (I'm still not quite sure how I made all the connections...)

But I was thinking about how drinking tea can help certain moods, for example Chamomile tea before bed can help you sleep. Then I thought about how drinking a particular tea relating to a particular Tarot card may be used as part of understanding that card and becoming closer to it. And then I thought, "but where do I start finding this out". Then I thought "Well, I know just the Tarot Forum to post this!". And thus, this came to be. :eek:)

And so, has anyone done this or have any suggestions? I admit, my tea knowledge isn't as strong as it could be.

amethyst57

for meditative focus and to ease restlessness, maybe one of or a blend of these teas...Rosemary, Chamomile, Peppermint, Passionflower, Lemon Balm...

NorthernTigress

I'm a certified Teak (Tea Geek). Well, I would be certified, if there was such a thing. :D I've been going to tea houses for years, and went through almost the entire menu at one particular tea shop. So I'm going to have to get technical on you. Chamomile, while a lovely beverage, is not a "tea". All forms of tea come from the same plant, Camellia sinensis, this includes black tea, green tea, and oolong. A hot beverage made from any other plant or herb is officially a "tisane" or an "infusion".

That said, I'm sure that a lot of people would have opinions of which teas and/or tisanes would represent each tarot card. You could do it many different ways: based on name, flavor, or (for herbs) their health effects.

Herb tisanes (aka "herbal tea") I would associate with the Major Arcana. But since I know very little about herb-lore, I'll leave the specifics to others.

White Tea is the closest to the natural state of the tea leaf. It involves the least amount of processing, and has the most "delicate" flavor. When asked, I once described White tea as "stealth tea", because the flavor is almost indetectable. For some reason, I would associate it with the High Priestess.

Rooibos (pronounced roy-bos), is often called "red tea". It comes from Africa, and it known for its health benefits. For the name alone, I would associate Rooibos with the suit of Wands.

Black Tea is the most well-known variety of tea, which is used by the wealthy and the commoners alike. For that reason, I would associate the many blends of Black Tea with the Suit of Pentacles.

Green Tea is very much associated with Asia, where tea (cha) is more than just a beverage: it's a Way of Life. The Japanese Tea Ceremony is the ultimate in Tea Culture. For that reason, I would associate Green Tea with the suit of Swords.

The many, many varieties of fruit infusions are probably the most playful of all the "teas". They are often sweet, and very colorful. Fruit "teas", in my mind, would be perfect for the suit of Cups. I'd also put things like hibiscus and rose-hips in this category.

---

Well, it's time for me to get off of my tea chest "soap box". Does anyone else have any opinions?

romanticdreamz

I've never tried passionflower before... Must give that a try.

Was just thinking Earl Grey tea for the Emperor and Lady Grey for the Empress. :eek:) The other half just said that Gunpowder tea for the Tower.

romanticdreamz

NorthernTigress said:
I'm a certified Teak (Tea Geek). Well, I would be certified, if there was such a thing. :D I've been going to tea houses for years, and went through almost the entire menu at one particular tea shop. So I'm going to have to get technical on you. Chamomile, while a lovely beverage, is not a "tea". All forms of tea come from the same plant, Camellia sinensis, this includes black tea, green tea, and oolong. A hot beverage made from any other plant or herb is officially a "tisane" or an "infusion".

That said, I'm sure that a lot of people would have opinions of which teas and/or tisanes would represent each tarot card. You could do it many different ways: based on name, flavor, or (for herbs) their health effects.

Herb tisanes (aka "herbal tea") I would associate with the Major Arcana. But since I know very little about herb-lore, I'll leave the specifics to others.

White Tea is the closest to the natural state of the tea leaf. It involves the least amount of processing, and has the most "delicate" flavor. When asked, I once described White tea as "stealth tea", because the flavor is almost indetectable. For some reason, I would associate it with the High Priestess.

Rooibos (pronounced roy-bos), is often called "red tea". It comes from Africa, and it known for its health benefits. For the name alone, I would associate Rooibos with the suit of Wands.

Black Tea is the most well-known variety of tea, which is used by the wealthy and the commoners alike. For that reason, I would associate the many blends of Black Tea with the Suit of Pentacles.

Green Tea is very much associated with Asia, where tea (cha) is more than just a beverage: it's a Way of Life. The Japanese Tea Ceremony is the ultimate in Tea Culture. For that reason, I would associate Green Tea with the suit of Swords.

The many, many varieties of fruit infusions are probably the most playful of all the "teas". They are often sweet, and very colorful. Fruit "teas", in mind mind, would be perfect for the suit of Cups.

---

Well, it's time for me to get off of my tea chest "soap box". Does anyone else have any opinions?

Whoa. Fabulous! I may need to re-read that again though. Lol. Some great ideas for the minors. The often forgotten area when it comes to Tarot correlations. And the White Tea for the HP sounds like a good idea.

Le Fanu

NorthernTigress said:

The many, many varieties of fruit infusions are probably the most playful of all the "teas". They are often sweet, and very colorful. Fruit "teas", in my mind, would be perfect for the suit of Cups. I'd also put things like hibiscus and rose-hips in this category.

---

Superb post! I think the thread ends here :D That's all there is to be said on the subject!

Im also a Teak; obsessed with my teas and - yes - camomile is an infusion as the leaves don't go through the tea process.

My favourite is Green Tea (I personally buy Kusmi from St Petersburg; with extra jasmine blossom, but if Im desperate, any Green Tea will do) and the mental benefits are indeed analogous to the suit of swords.

I would also add smoked Lapsang-Souchang; the smell of The Devil, analogous to the flames of Hell!

And what's that infusion which is a flower which unfurls when warm water is added? That's the Empress...

NorthernTigress

romanticdreamz said:
Whoa. Fabulous! I may need to re-read that again though. Lol. Some great ideas for the minors. The often forgotten area when it comes to Tarot correlations. And the White Tea for the HP sounds like a good idea.

Thanks. I get rather enthusiastic on the subject of tea. I was worried I might scare you if I went overboard on the topic.

BTW, I totally agree that Earl Grey would make a great Emperor, or at least act as one of the Kings. And I'm also impressed that you know about Lady Grey, a great Empress and/or Queen.

Oh, and just off the top of my head, I would have to add Lapsang souchong, that smokey flavored tea that you either love or hate (myself, I hate it). It's a very good candidate for Death, the Devil, or the Tower.

NorthernTigress

Le Fanu said:
And what's that infusion which is a flower which unfurls when warm water is added? That's the Empress...

Those are usually called "blossoming teas" and are as much an artform as they are a beverage. It's made from tea leaves that are individually tied together into a flower-like shape and then dried so that the flower becomes a ball-shape. When the tea-blossom steeps, the leaves open up again.

This could be an Empress tea; or Death, since it is a tea that starts out looking like a "dead" sphere, and then transforms into something beautiful.

Annabelle

Northern Tigress, I think I love you. What an excellent post on tea and tarot! Your correlations and explanations make a lot of sense to me.

I am in the beginning stages of Teak-dom, myself :).

Morwenna

This is very interesting, and makes for great meditation on a single card while drinking the appropriate tea. But I have another question: Is there a specific tea or tisane that anyone here would relate to a specific deck while working with it?