Tarot and Timing - How to Read/Determine Time Frames

nisaba

magenta said:
How do you train a deck?
I have one particular deck that I *only* use for timings. It's never been used to anythign else. So it doesn't consider the Minor Arcana to have any other meaning at all than time-intervals: Wands are days, Swords are weeks, Cups are months, Pentacles are years. Ace through to tens are one to ten, and court cards go upwards through the numbers still, page=11, knight=12, queen=13, king=14. That way you get a bit of overlap.

In the very, very rare event that you draw a Major, it tell you that the timing is still up in the air but it depends on the querent dealing with the kinds of issues represented by the card.

If you have a deck which you like to use as a Majors-only deck, you can use its minor Arcana cards as a separate timing, deck, but then you'd have no cards for those occasions when you really need to tell them that the timing is dependent on yadda yadda, and you'll get a few inaccurate timings as a result.

Actually training the deck to do this is easy, like training a deck to produce its usual meanings. Simply do ONLY THAT with it, and assume it's going to work. Be consistent.

moonlitkim

What has worked for me so far, is looking at the Outcome card of a spread, and looking at the tone of the card for timing. For example, the 7 of Pentacles is a card of assessment, and that can take some time before seeing results. 3 of Wands is also waiting for your ship to come in, but results may be much sooner. If the outcome one doesn't seem to have a good "timing" feel to it, I draw a clarifier to get a better idea of the timing.

~MoonlitKim

WaterSong

nisaba said:
I have one particular deck that I *only* use for timings. It's never been used to anythign else. So it doesn't consider the Minor Arcana to have any other meaning at all than time-intervals: Wands are days, Swords are weeks, Cups are months, Pentacles are years. Ace through to tens are one to ten, and court cards go upwards through the numbers still, page=11, knight=12, queen=13, king=14. That way you get a bit of overlap.

In the very, very rare event that you draw a Major, it tell you that the timing is still up in the air but it depends on the querent dealing with the kinds of issues represented by the card.

If you have a deck which you like to use as a Majors-only deck, you can use its minor Arcana cards as a separate timing, deck, but then you'd have no cards for those occasions when you really need to tell them that the timing is dependent on yadda yadda, and you'll get a few inaccurate timings as a result.

Actually training the deck to do this is easy, like training a deck to produce its usual meanings. Simply do ONLY THAT with it, and assume it's going to work. Be consistent.

nisaba, thank you for explaining...I had an idea but I was interested in your experience...I have never done that and I will try to find a deck to keep just for timing.
Do you have any way to tell seasons? like Cups are summer or Pentacles Fall sort of thing?
For me it Swords are Winter, Cups Summer, Pentacles Fall and Wands Spring...

So in your system, if you pull the page of swords it will mean 11 weeks?

I just asked when something will happen and got the...Fool ! :laugh:

nisaba

Yep, Page Swords would be 11 weeks, give or take a small margin (I always say "around eleven weeks").

I don't do seasons, although if my memory serves, Ellen Reed's deck has almost identical Court Cards, except that they're in seasonal backgrounds! She associates Earth with Winter, which I would have thought was odd, because in many regions including where she was living at the time, the earth is dormant in Winter. Never made sense to me. <shrug>

shadowmon

said person hasnt contacted me yet, im gonna give it 2 weeks!

shadowmon

shadowmon said:
bump

also trying to get some clarification, i am wondering, i pulled a 2 of wands for timing on when someone will contact me, according to 90% of the posts here it will be fairly quikly (ie. within the next few days/couple weeks) i pulled a clarifier and got the page of swords.. again quick and fast so i would assume very soon they will be in contact with me? maybe under 2 weeks ?

ok well it seemed somewhat accurate as far as a couple weeks goes.. it took 1 week 1 day for them to contact me, now as far as timing goes, i would say that as far as i was concerned when i pulled these, the "under 2 weeks" was right, so as long as you can predict the time of when they may contact you, mine was a guess of either 2 days or 2 weeks or by the page of swords fairly quickly! which a week is pretty quick considering my situation... so in conclusion find the time and get to when they may contact you, from the reading point to the time point of contact, i guess it will be anytime in between :)

Maggiemay

Thank you for the information.

Maggie :)

nisaba

magenta said:
I just asked when something will happen and got the...Fool ! :laugh:
In my system, if you pulled the Fool it could mean that whatever you asked about won't happen until you've dealt with fool-ish issues (an all their traditional glory). Tarot cards have a nasty habit of being ironic, though, so if you have asked the same question several times, it's probably telling you you're a fool not to believe it on previous occasions!