Tarot and your inner demons

BrightEye

I was reading a thread about 'dark' decks and found this here comment by Umbrae (Sorry Umbrae, I hope you don't mind - and if you do, I'm sure you'll let me know):
Umbrae said:
Tarot helped me learn to tell stories. In telling stories…I learned how to exercise and thus exorcise my own demons. Take them out for a walk in the light – and they lose their power.
I thought this was very interesting. I like the idea and have tried to do it myself.

But if you don't know what your demons are, you just know you have them and they are somewhere inside you, would Tarot be able to point you in the right direction? Or are there limitations to what it can do?

The 'you' addressed here is not just Umbrae. Everyone is welcome to comment.

thorhammer

I personally think it's one of the Tarot's most powerful uses. It was as a result of reading Tarot for myself when I was a teenager (in the fortunate absence of willing victims) that I began to realise that I wasn't perfect, and the cards began to highlight exactly what I couldn't otherwise see - my propensity to avoid success because of my desire to feel sorry for myself, my arrogance masquerading as shyness (or was it the other way around? :)) and that sort of thing. It's not a fun experience, but I've become much stronger since I started on my Tarot path, and it's due in large part to the inspiration the cards have given me to rectify my own failings.

\m/ Kat

Alta

What is sometimes called "Shadow Work" can be done by a good many avenues, tarot among them. There are also methods like associative trains, gestalt exercises etc. Google could take you many places with "Shadow work".

To get a starting point, be aware of your reactions to things. There was an example in a book written by a Jungian psychologist. She was watching television and there was a program about Nazi war criminals and they were discussing how they were old now and should be let alone. She found she was overcome with rage and was thinking "No, kill them. Kill them all!" and literally started herself.

It allowed her to start a journey down a side of herself that could countenance revenge killings and etc.

If you get a reaction (emotional) that startles you (and you have to be aware, they slip away easily) and seems out of sync with your self image, then take that and follow it up with the tarot.

Marion

BrightEye

Thanks thorhammer & Marion. I've been told to watch out for emotional reactions, like Marion says. I usually write them down, but writing alone doesn't seem to take me far enough. Good advice, thanks.

willowfox

BrightEye said:
But if you don't know what your demons are, you just know you have them and they are somewhere inside you, would Tarot be able to point you in the right direction? Or are there limitations to what it can do?

I would suggest you get your cards out and try, tarot does not have limitations, but people do because they make their own limitations.

BrightEye

willowfox said:
I would suggest you get your cards out and try, tarot does not have limitations, but people do because they make their own limitations.
Well, I tried and hit a brick wall, so I figured the way I was going about it wasn't particularly useful. Otherwise I wouldn't have felt the need to post this thread.

Kahlie

BrightEye said:
Well, I tried and hit a brick wall, so I figured the way I was going about it wasn't particularly useful. Otherwise I wouldn't have felt the need to post this thread.

I did some Shadow Work with AJ with the Fae, so you can look up that thread if you want too.

Only writing down your responses won't get you anywhere, no. You have to explore and discover that part of yourself. Why did you respond that way? What part of you felt the need to express themselves that way. Why do you dislike that type of reaction? Is that because it's not socially 'allowed' or because you genuinely don't like it?

Etc. etc.

Kahlie

BrightEye

Kahlie said:
I did some Shadow Work with AJ with the Fae, so you can look up that thread if you want too.
Thanks, I will.
Kahlie said:
Only writing down your responses won't get you anywhere, no. You have to explore and discover that part of yourself. Why did you respond that way? What part of you felt the need to express themselves that way. Why do you dislike that type of reaction? Is that because it's not socially 'allowed' or because you genuinely don't like it?
I didn't just write down my reaction. It was followed by a train of thought similar to the one you describe. Still, I feel it doesn't get me far enough. It may be that there isn't anywhere further to go.

Kahlie

BrightEye said:
Thansk, I will.

I didn't just write down my reaction. It was followed by a train of thought similar to the one you describe. Still, I feel it doesn't get me far enough. It may be that there isn't anywhere further to go.

Then you have to split:

It's socially unacceptable but you want to do it anyway:
- Work on allowing yourself to be you. Do exercises for self-acceptance. Check what is hard for you to do, or to tell others, because you are afraid of rejection. Why are you afraid of rejection. etc. etc.

It's not what you want, but it's there anyway, you hate that part of yourself:
- Work on allowing yourself to be you. Check on why you condemn that part of yourself so badly. Imagine it in others, would you be so upset? Check on why you don't want it. etc. etc.

Another part that comes up often is trust. Do you trust yourself to be X, without going to extremes? Do you use some self-controlling exercises, and if so, why? Who told you you couldn't trust yourself? Who gave you the feeling you couldn't trust your own judgment or behaviour? etc. etc.

Kahlie

elvenstar

BrightEye said:
Well, I tried and hit a brick wall, so I figured the way I was going about it wasn't particularly useful.
It is possible you weren't going about it the right way for you. But I think timing is very important too. My experience has been that if I'm not ready to face something, blindness to the darker aspects and denial of their existence is the first defence mechanism. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. It was just not the right time. I also find it takes a while to come to terms with some of this stuff.

One way to use tarot for this could be to do a reading using only a few cards asking what dark aspect of yourself you need to be focussing on. If it doesn't make sense immediately, wait, ponder on it, forget about it and then come back to it. Once you have an understanding on it, deliberately chose one or two cards that will help you accept it. Fear usually plays an important role in this procedure, it hides things in shadows, allows them to take on elusive fantastical shapes. Rather than dive in, entice one little demon out. A representative card can help you stay focussed. Befriend it, and you could be surprised at the outcome.

Just my thoughts, maybe they'll be of some use to you. :)