Tarot Basics: "Least Favorite Card" Question/Assignment

Thirteen

Okay. I'm getting votes to continue on. What I figure is that we now have to get a little interactive. What I want to do first is get everyone comfortable with the cards. Ask a few questions, play a few games, kind of like "getting to know you" with the cards. Then, we'll move into spreads and see what happens.

So here's your first assignment/question. No essays and no multipule choice :) Strictly fill in the blank stuff. Remember there are no wrong answers and you're encouraged to peek over everyone else's shoulders and read their answers. Just post them here. The more, the better:

Every Tarot reader has some cards in a deck that they love, and some they don't for whatever reason. I want you to go through your favorite deck, and pick out the card you like the least (or dislike the most, one that bothers you, troubles you, annoys you....however you'd phrase it).

Now I want you to do two things:

1) Ask yourself why that card bothers you. What problem do you have with it? Even if you already know the answer, clarify it for yourself.

2) I want you to examine that card and it's meaning (go ahead and use what we've discussed in Tarot Basics if you like, or any other source) and find one really positive thing to say about it. (Note: Saying that the artwork is nice does NOT count!) What is one truely excellent trait/meaning it has?

We'll give you guys a few days on that assignment before moving onto the next. Look forward to reading your answers. They should be interesting.

Lilliana

Hey, this is so cool, we even get assignments!

Ok, My least favourite card...
In the thoth deck (the one I'm using at the moment) I'd have to say the empress. Usually I love this card, but in this deck I don't.

I've finally worked out what it is. The lower half of her body is facing away from the viewer, while her torso is facing towards the viewer. To me, this makes her look cut off from the outside world (something I would associate more with the high priestess).

Also, if you're thinking about it in sexual terms, it could be interpreted as her being closed off sexually. Something I definately wouldn't say about the empress.

Then again, when you lay the card next to the emperor, her legs are directed at him, so maybe that could explain it. It still bothers me though.

Another thing that bugs me about this card is the muted pastel tones used. I dunno, I've always seen the empress as an energetic, busy, pro-active woman (she is a mother after all), who's always out there, well, creating stuff. The airy-fairy, wispy colours used just don't suit her in my opinion.

The best thing about this card to me, is that it's all about creating. I'm an artist/musician so I rely on my creativity, and she represents that aspect to me.
I've always seen the empress card as a reminder that it's not just the end creation that's important, but the actual creative process (like that saying, "it's not the destination that matters, but the journey).

I see the emperor as more concerned with what you do with your creation once it's made, wheras the empress represents the actual creating (the baby in the womb).

Another thing- she's a mum, and mums are just so cool!

Wow, this turned out to be a long post.
For those that are interested, you can find a picture of the thoth empress card at this site http://www.corax.com/tarot/
under card explanations.

Lilli

Taurus1979

There are two cards that I do not like 10 of swords and 9 of swords. What I see in my eyes of the 10 of swords is man walking along a shore line. I'm pretty sure he may have had enimies. Enimies that he had beef with and enimies that he did not know he had because of their jealousy. This man did'nt have any weapons he was buy himself maybe someone called him there to discuss something, making him believe that they were trying to bury the hatchett, and all of sudden it was'nt just that one person who called him there. It was lots of people who were hiding and came out and overpowered him, someone knocked him down and everybody just plunged the swords in his body and left him for dead. Now I see the big word betrayal. the only good thing in this card is the sun.

The second card is nine of swords makes me feel like this person is in prison. He is very remorseful because of what has happened. He cannot get any sleep at all. On the bed I see a man with a sword and plunging it into another man's body.The roses I see on the bed makes me feel like he loved this person and that's why he's taking it so hard.This must be what he is remorseful about.Maybe these two were not really fighting and someone got hurt and he feels terrible about it. I feel like this card is about being guilty and crying to try and heal and reassess himself because crying makes you feel better.

tmgrl2

Least favorite card: RW 8 Wands

l) Not enough picture clues for me as a beginner, despite fact I have read on threads and in books what it can mean....

2)Positive: It's getting me ready for studying the Tarot de Marseilles.

terri

diane drizzy

I really have a problem with The Chariot. I have never gotten a good feeling about this card no matter what deck I see him in. I dislike the feel of the man at the wheel and the whole macho, arrogant "guy and his car" thing. But more than that I hate seeing two FEMALE sphinxes, schelpping it.
The only good thing I can say ironically is that I like knowing that secretly the sphinxes are really in charge.

Diana

diane drizzy said:
But more than that I hate seeing two FEMALE sphinxes, schelpping it.

There are no sphinxes on this Chariot:

http://www.volny.cz/minormajor/marseille/07chariot2.jpg

And not too much arrogance either. Because it's not with wheels in that position that he's going to go very far, and especially not with two horses going in different directions and who don't even have hind legs. And as he's not holding any reins... one could even question whether this is a Chariot or something else.

Many things can hide behind a name.

This gives a whole new dimension to the Chariot... or not?

diane drizzy

You're right Diana!

A kinder, gentler, rider.

Nitegoddess

Thirteen .. is this open to any deck?

miss_apples

I am using the Gendron Tarot and the card I am going to use here is the 5 of cups.

1. The reason that this card frightens me is because it represents "aloneness" and the way I see it, the type of aloneness that it represents is not the good kind. What I mean by that is...theres the productive kind of aloneness where you spend in deep reflection and it charges you. Then theres the times of aloneness where you want to reach out and share yourself with others but they wont let you join in. Thats what this card represents to me. This card hasnt bothered me much in other decks because he is usually walking away from the fallen cups but in this deck he is standing and staring right at them.

2. The thing that I can say positive about this card...it is a card that tells you that you need to face your problems and responsibilities and I think that when a person gets to the point where this card needs to come up...they really need that fact pointed out to them.

amatista

Hi!

I would like to join you at this study group. I´m amatista.
My least favorites cards are two the tower and the two of swords I think the first one because it meaning to me it is to construct several times and it is always destroyed. The two of swords because the sacrifice is sometimes concious sometimes it is not.