Tarot case fasteners-what do you like best?

ann823

I've been playing around this summer making padded deck cases and am trying to decide what I'd like as a fastener. Velcro? A button? Something else? I guess either one would hold, but if there are drawbacks it would be nice to learn from someone else's mistakes, LOL.

Yineth

Velcro

I've never made anything before, so my little post here is more personal reflection of the material

I had a love-hate history with velcro even as a kid. It's easy to use and convenient with shoes and certain clothing, but after awhile the velcro loses its strength. Other fibers get into the "stickier" part of it and that noisy! AUGH.

It drove my teachers crazy >:3c

I guess you would want to consider the material cost of it too? I personally think buttons would be much cuter in design (as long as the threads hold them to the case). Have you considered maybe string tying? Sort of like shoe-lace tying the cases or something.

Just a thought :)

Le Fanu

not velcro... Just not very classy.

Draw string is best, or - in certain circumstances - a press-stud (not sure if you call them that in the US) or easily useable (i.e BIG) button.

ThunderWolf

not velcro... Just not very classy.

I've got to admit that was my first thought about velcro as well.

a press-stud (not sure if you call them that in the US)

Just an FYI to anyone not sure... I looked it up with a websearch. We commonly refer to them as snaps in the US.

ann823

Yineth, that image of "stuff" stuck in velcro is what comes to mind when I think of velcro, although it was convient for my son's shoes when he was little. I don't know what you mean by lacing string, could you explain it a bit more?

Le Fanu, I use drawstrings on my bags, but I've been experimenting with cases that have a flap that folds over. I've had trouble with "snaps' or press-studs not working on clothing after a little use, but maybe they have been improved, something to look into.

Buttons are probably the way to go, a quick internet search shows bizzillions of gorgeous buttons...

Anyone use magnets? I saw those used somewhere for handbag fasteners.

greatdane

satin ties on my Dark Nature Cases

I love satin ties, they're part of my ritual. Something about wrapping and unwrapping each of my lovely cases (the ties are sewn on to the case). I do have one with a pearl stud, it's got a whimsical b/w halloween print with skeletons and bats and my Halloween tarot is in it. Gee I miss Dark Nature Cases! I could order the type of ties I wanted. I HOPE you let us all know when you're up and running if you take orders for cases, ANN! I could use a couple cases and with Dark Nature no longer in biz, it would be great to have another venue.

Velcro, while I see the convenience, I just don't see going with tarot for me. But to each their own.

Grizabella

I wouldn't think velcro would be all that great, but just for the record, folks, if your velcro is all gunked up, just take a needle, run it under the gunk parallel to the velcro, and lift outward. The gunk can easily be taken right out of it and it's good as new.

But anyway, those magnetic snaps would be great if they could be made to work. The ones for purses, I mean. Other than that, buttons. But if you're making bags instead of cases, by all means double strings are the way to go.

Carla

I think drawstrings are best. Or maybe a big toggle button.

greatdane

Just checking...bags or cases?

I agree drawstrings are really handy and great looking, but are we talking bags and cases or just cases? Bags, drawstrings hands down, cases, as in envelope type, I'm guessing snaps, buttons or ties?

Winterchild

Velcro

I have used it a couple of times but only inside a cotton lining..... no fluff, and only when I had little room to add another fastening... not my choice....

I use laces, or button and string fastenings, I like having a cord or ribbon to wrap around!

Have attached 3 pics of different fastenings, wrapped wool cord, wrapped bead and ribbon and a string and button....

Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_4689.jpg
    IMG_4689.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3462.jpg
    IMG_3462.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4851.jpg
    IMG_4851.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 71