Tarot de Paris (17th Century)

Le Fanu

Lillie said:
With the smartie tree.
:D
I love the Tarot de Paris version with the phantom drummer and the woman cowering under the table with her hands over her ears (well, I dont think there is a table but with all the mish-mash of colours I guess there could be)

prudence

(re Lillie's question about the Vieville) Yep, as well as the Vandenborre Bacchus.

Lillie

Thank you.

And do people think that was the original image/theme/whatever for the card?

Lightning?

Because if so then it has gone from lightning, to lightning striking a tower, to the tower being the most important part of the card, as shown by the name often just being 'The Tower', or even 'the house of god' which also puts the importasnce upon the structure rather than the lightning striking it.

Le Fanu

Lillie said:
Because if so then it has gone from lightning, to lightning striking a tower, to the tower being the most important part of the card, as shown by the name often just being 'The Tower', or even 'the house of god' which also puts the importasnce upon the structure rather than the lightning striking it.
I wonder if that is the trajectory in a nutshell? So you get Lightning (T de Paris/Vieville), then lightning struck tower á la 1JJ swiss. Then the lightning is removed and you get a crumbling tower and then you get modern cards (like the Place Vampire deck) with just a tower and no sign of it crumbling!

I much prefer the card as lightning to be honest. It's less about calamity and more about short, sharp shock and illumination...I love the drummer in the T de Paris. like a standard bearer presaging, warning of something before it happens.

gregory

Yes, me too. Also with less suggestion of deliberate anything... Sod's law act of god (not God, if you get me - but like in insurance; unavoidable but not necessarily terminal calamity.)

Lillie

It's interesting to see the evolution of a card in action.

And this one is missing from the earliest decks. The visconti ones.

Is it on the cary sheet?

The Bateleur Is odd on this.
I can't make out what is going on, but it looks like a monkey under there...

The ape of Thoth?

Bernice

Le Fanu.......it looks like a black animal perched there (mink stole?)... You can see claws...and is that a snout?
I'm so pleased someone else can see the furry 'creature', and yes, I can see what looks like claws and maybe a little snout/nose.

That Lightening card: I cannot see a table at all! Just an enormous 'monster' with it's mouth open, the demon drummer is dancing out surrounded by flames. Plus the little fellow perched on the upper mouth.... the nose looks odd though, because the nostrils are strangley positioned.......

Bee :)

Lillie

I assumed that was the cat on the fools shoulder.

It looks like a cat.

Lillie

Bernice said:
That Lightening card: I cannot see a table at all! Just an enormous 'monster' with it's mouth open, the demon drummer is dancing out surrounded by flames. Plus the little fellow perched on the upper mouth.... the nose looks odd though, because the nostrils are strangley positioned.......

Bee :)
I see that!

I didn't see it till you said, but I see it now!