TAROT Deck - Completely Revised Sola Busca from XV Century

Akiwa

Thank you so much, Seven, for your thoughts on the Strength card...very helpful. Any ideas about 3 of Wands? I love the image, creepy as it is! And I echo the many compliments you have been given here, I love your work. Just beautiful. I am contemplating the le oracle deck!

seven stars

This was one image that seemed so iconic for that deck that I couldn't bring myself to change it. In the RWS it's a card of foresight & being completely committed to plans - I suppose you could say these ideas have pierced right thru his head & he's about as committed as one could get & that's all he can think about, & the wings are the mind taking flight & the laurel would represent victory however in the original Sola Busca this card was a card of mental problems - perhaps they both can go hand in hand - have you ever been so obsessed & consumed with your vision that it kinda made you nuts?

Attachments

• 3 of wands.jpg
    3 of wands.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 116

Akiwa

I totally know what you mean, Seven. And I was thinking on much the same lines. That place where inspiration can be so intense and grabbing so much of your attention that it's a bit overwhelming!

mydearruby

I have both Seven's revisited edition and Berti's Mayer edition, and I love them both. The difference for me does not lie in personal *taste* (a word that has indeed been abused in the relativism and individualism so prevalent American culture...), but the fact that Tarot has always inspired different walks of life: that of artists, of street readers (as Seven humbly labels herself), of collectors, and of serious academic interest. It is neither necessary nor possible for one of these many branches to overrule the rest, and this polyphonic chorus is exactly where the beauty lies.

That said, I absolutely admire the graciousness and humility Seven shows in this thread...here she fully lives up to the standard of her trade---that Tarot is for her and for many of this contemporary age a tool for being a better person.

The Happy Squirrel

This thread inspired me to put the Meneghello's Sola Busca on my list again. I dropped it last year because as a novice I couldn't place where it sits amongst the arrays of historical traditions and progressions from Marseilles to Crowly. I have no idea how to read with Etteilla or the Neo Platonic decks either but I acquired them for reference and study purposes. To remind myself that Golden Dawn is but one approach even though it is THE approach for now. The photo comparison of the original and Seven's take on 10 of wands and swords along with 7 of wands and swords peaked my interest to understand better the thinking behind the 'original' Sola Busca. When I decided to get the Prisma Vision deck I asked myself if James R Eads' style is too much Van Gogh and not enough James, I decided that there was enough James there for me to pull the trigger on supporting his kickstarter campaign. When I fell in love with the Rumi tarot I find myself asking is this 'really' Rumi, the answer is no and it still pains me to have to bite my lip as deck after deck of Rumi tarot passed me by. I fell in love with the Wild Green Chagallian deck only to pull back as I feel there was too much Chagall even though there was enough of the actual deck designer honesty in all of the cards. It is a personal thing, not a legal one. Thank you for sparking my interest to want to understand more as to why the Empress is so war like and not nurturing enough. I always see myself as a 'Female Emperor' - card wise - and someone said how outside the box that was, to me it is the most natural thing. In this sense, going to the 'original' Sola Busca might not help me 'read', as such, but it will expand my mind for sure, and in turn, hopefully expand my vision as I return to continue learning the RWS.

The Happy Squirrel

As I sat on the pot today (sorry too much info) it had a thought (as you do). Do you think 700 years from now tarot researchers, historians, anthropologists, and archeologists will find Seven's Sola Busca and concluded that the RWS system existed 500 years before it actually did? :p Tarot researches will be left chasing their own tail for another 700 years LOL.