Tarot Dreams

Maya86

Hello everyone,

I ordered my first deck (Universal Waite) off ebay last Thursday and I'm still waiting for it.. I've been dreaming the tarot ever since! I can't remember the cards/dreams but quite a few were nightmares while some weren't. I was reading reading for a friend yesterday and I had visions of certain tarot cards.

Does anyone have any idea as to what's going on? It feels incredibly strange- especially with the dreams I've been having every night (I haven't been able to sleep well except for last night after I got a nice cloth for the deck I'm yet to receive). I thought I was merely connecting with the deck (haven't received it yet) but I thought I'd get advice from y'all since you're loads more experienced with the tarot.

Thanks loads.

Hugs,
Maya

nisaba

It's probably your mind preparing itself for an unusually serious influx of Tarot-work. I went through the same thing when I started reading about and learning Tarot years ago, then when I started reading professionally on a regular instead of occasional basis, then when I joined up here.

Each of those times indicated a new expansion of the Tarot bits of my life, and at each time of expansion, yes, I had colourful and often disturbing Tarot-dreams.

They *will* settle down, after a while. And after the initial peace you'll find yourself missing them. You'll always dream about Tarot occasionally, but these times of concentrated Tarot-dreams will only happen at the times of change in your Tarot-life.

Cassandra022

well, whenever something is on our mind more consciously, the greater the chance to dream about it, so makes sense you'd be dreaming about it more recently. can't really give advice as i almost never dream about tarot, regardless of how into it i am at the time....

the only tarot related dream i can remember, was more about buying it than actually about tarot itself..i was trying to get away from something/someone, walking through this really shady, slummy neighborhood, streets being hilly so up and down walking, and there was a little hole in the walk type shop selling lots of random crap and knicknacks, and these two gypsy lady type characters sitting there, and i found some rare, expensive deck that only cost 20$ and so i got it and was quite excited.

um, nothing like that ever happened in real life so no idea where that came from.

besides that one though, no tarot dreams for me

PrincessPaulina

I have dreams about specific spreads I've done for myself, if I'm very serious about implementing those particular lessons in my life. For me, this probably has to do with the intensity of the message I've received and my subconscious mind trying to process it.

Sometimes I dream about whole new spreads, though unfortunately I can't remember them when I wake up...

nisaba

dream interpretation

Cassandra022 said:
the only tarot related dream i can remember, was more about buying it than actually about tarot itself..i was trying to get away from something/someone, walking through this really shady, slummy neighborhood,
The neighbourhood would indicate that you are refusing to face the fact that you feel really uncomfortable about a person or peopel that you are forced to interact with on a regular basis.

Cassandra022 said:
and there was a little hole in the walk type shop selling lots of random crap and knicknacks,
<warm smile> That would be your Inner Self (hole in the wall), crammed with random crap and knicknacks. Hey! We have the same inner self!

Cassandra022 said:
and these two gypsy lady type characters sitting there,
Two aspects of your personality, or yourself and a guide. Do you re,e,ber any conversation or any body-language between them that indicated whether they had been arguing, or agreeing, or something? An older/younger relationship? anything?

Cassandra022 said:
and i found some rare, expensive deck that only cost 20$ and so i got it and was quite excited.
Your inner world, or possibly these parts of your personality, have "treasures beyond price" for you.

A very positive and promising dream, but not actually about Tarot at all.

Cassandra022

nisaba said:
A very positive and promising dream, but not actually about Tarot at all.

with the gypsy women, one was more forties or late thirties and one maybe twenties, kind of talking to each other, with a kind of eastern european vibe and kinda suspicious attitude towards people/me sorta?

and wow, dream interpretation isn't something i'm knowledgable about at all, but this was such an interesting take on things that I'd never have thought of but which makes a kind of sense....thanks!!

BlueRosary

nisaba said:
...but these times of concentrated Tarot-dreams will only happen at the times of change in your Tarot-life.
This just happened to me last night! 5 days ago I received my first Tarot of Marseilles tarot. I’ve never worked with a deck like this before and I haven’t read with it yet. I decided to reserve these kinds of decks for only reading for others – never for myself. (FYI - I’ve done less than a handful of readings for others, ever). So I’ve been studying up on historical decks and different ways people read with them. It almost feels like I’m a tarot virgin!

I dreamt that I was using my new deck to do a three card reading for someone to find out if the spirit of a friend/relative of theirs, named Meg or Megan, was around. The weird thing was that I was having trouble getting the cards to lay still. They kept sliding around, covering each other up…like the little area I was using to lay out the cards didn’t have enough room.

Tarot shows up in my dreams pretty regularly, but mostly in the same context as my daily life. Using my decks to do readings for myself, or shopping for new ones. More than once I’ve had the most wonderful dreams of finding a shop that is loaded with strange and fantastic decks at crazy low prices. :D

nisaba

Cassandra022 said:
with the gypsy women, one was more forties or late thirties and one maybe twenties, kind of talking to each other, with a kind of eastern european vibe and kinda suspicious attitude towards people/me sorta?
Well, in the dream, *they* were you and/or in your inner sanctum and you were from the outdside world, so maybe this was a way for you to find out that in some sense you are unconsciously suspicious of other people or the outside world, preferring your own "stuff" to other people's.

Cassandra022 said:
and wow, dream interpretation isn't something i'm knowledgable about at all, but this was such an interesting take on things that I'd never have thought of but which makes a kind of sense....thanks!!
<grin> It's not a lot harder than Tarot reading, except that the important thing is to NEVER read a book on it. If you read that a "tooth" always means one thing, and a "horse" always means another ... well - how do you take one dream where a bloody horse is trampling you to death in sticky mud, against the following night's dream when a horse made of stardust is galloping up a golden staircase with you singing on its back? Surely those two dreams cannot mean the same thing.

Like a Tarot card, you look at and just kinda know what the dream is trying to say, and it's NEVER what's in the books. Here's how to tell if a dream interpretation is right: if the dreamer finds it enlightening it's right, and if they are doubtful you're wrong.

But back to Tarot dreams!

nisaba

BlueRosary said:
This just happened to me last night! 5 days ago I received my first Tarot of Marseilles tarot. I’ve never worked with a deck like this before and I haven’t read with it yet. I decided to reserve these kinds of decks for only reading for others – never for myself. (FYI - I’ve done less than a handful of readings for others, ever). So I’ve been studying up on historical decks and different ways people read with them. It almost feels like I’m a tarot virgin!
<grin> And dreaming of such a deck at a time when you're taking on board a lot of learning about them, is a marker of this transitional period in your Tarot voyage. Isn't life exciting? <fizzes with delight>

nisaba

I just had one of my own, and it was very enjoyable.

I dreamt that I was inside a computer game (I don't game very much) and that I knew it was a game, so the dream was at least partly a lucid dream.

I completed the first level, which was fairly simple, so simple nothing stuck in my head to recall now, and went outside to push on a lever rising from the earth to progress on to the second level. The transition happened, and I was standing by the same lever in the second level, in some kind of swamp, knowing the lever wouldn't work for me again until I completed the level. So I memorised where it was and wandered around the swamp, looking for stuff to do. There was absolutely nothing to do, no objects to pick up or characters to talk to, and I came back to the lever thinking that this couldn't be all of the second level, there had to be something to do.

Then I noticed a jetty in the reeds not far away, and wondered how I could have missed it. It led away from the swamp to open lake-water, and visible in the distance was the far shore or an island. I started walking along the jetty, but the wood was rotten, and as I got further and further along, more and more of the timber of the jetty fell into the lake. Eventually I scuttled back, knowing I had to get there and wondering how, and I found that at the point where I started there was now a boat.

There were two more people on their own computers playing the same game at the same time, and they joined me now in the boat. I think I was up the back working the tiller as they rowed. In the boat, we discussed being a team to pool resources and ideas. We got to the island, and a large mansion loomed over us, right where we left the boat. Someone rang the bell - the door stayed shut. I pushed at the door - it swung open.

We went into the foyer, a long, wide corridor lined with wood panels, and with rows of evenly-spaced closed doors down each side. As a group, we spontaneously elected to go into the first door on our left. The bare-floored room was full of old-fashioned office furniture in a dark-brown, unidentifiable wood. Long, broad desks. Elegant timber filing cabinets. Racks of squared-off pigeon-holes suitable for mail. Racks of wide, thin pigeon-holes, suitable for unfolded full-size sheets.

And every drawer, every shelf, every pigeon-hole utterly, utterly empty. I spent a bit of time wandering around touching and admiring the furniture, wishing like heck I could take it out of the game and out of my dream and put it in my home, but there came a point where enough was enough, and it was time to find something to *do*. I told the others there was nothing there and we should move onto the next room but they demured, and decided to stay there and keep searching.

So alone I crossed the hall and went into the room opposite which would have been to our right when we first entered. It was thickly carpeted in soft, springy brown wool. Like the other room, it had high ceilings and large windows divided up by a wooden lattice into many small panes, casting good light around the room. There was an overstuffed Queen Anne sofa somewhere centre-stage, and I just knew it was authentic. Its upholstery was in a dark mustard-yellow shot with gold. There were other pieces around, too, that smacked of drawing room, but I didn't really pay attention to them. The whole room was in soft, dark yellows, tans and browns.

I found a desk against the wall, a smaller one with a roll-top, and I opened the roll-top. Lined up on the inner shelf were five or six Tarot decks all bagged up in tapestry bags in colours matching the rest of the room, most of them with gold or silver thread in them and all of them with a cord closure. One in particular, in a patchwork bag made entirely of triangles of fabric in the colours of the room, really drew me.

But there were other things on the table. There was odd-looking money, and I knew I'd need money later in the game to buy the things that would help me get ahead. I pocketed the money. There was a little silver handle like the handle of a coffee-grinder or something, decorated with silver rosebuds. I pocketed it, too, knowing I would have to use it later for some kind of machine to advance in the game. One by one I went through the objects on the desk, and selected things that I knew would advance me later in the game.

Eventually I was done, and there was just a row of bagged Tarot decks. I went to pick up the one on the far right, the triangle-bag, and found I was physically prevented by the game, which wanted me to take one of the other objects out of my pocket in order to be able to pick up the deck and look at it. Damn you, game! I was just debating which of my acquisitions to discard so that I could look at the deck, when my alarm-clock rang and called me back to my body.

What shocking timing.

When I was younger, I sometimes used to be able to re-enter an incomplete dream after waking in the middle of it. Somehow I doubt that I'll be able to do that, after a day of other things and other thoughts.