Tarot for language learners

SphinYote

So has anyone used their tarot interests to help them learn a foreign language?

Seems like the Lo Scarabeo decks would be especially useful for this, if you are interested in one of the languages they produce the deck and LWB in.

Materials: Good dictionary, good grammar guide, reasonable introductory text (or whatever level you're at), one tarot deck (helos if it has a multi-language LWB, but not required--or if you can find one of the basic tarot books in an edition other than your first language). Reccomended: Verb guide in language you are learning.

Level 1: Vocabulary
If there's a LWB, start there--gather terms associated with card, look up first language versus language learned, make notecards of each term.

No LWB? Get dictionary, look up words to describe card, either equivalent to the guidebook or on your own--the personalized vocabulary version.

Possible categories: Colors, actions, meaning, objects (animals, body parts, inanimate objects, etc), tangental associations, whatever.

Level two:
Sentence construction. Short sentances--what does this card mean? Look up sentances in grammar guide or basic language learner manual. You might do word substitution first--look up the structure you need--future tense, past tense of verbs, pronoun and sentance order, etc.

Write up mini-fortunes--This WILL happen, this could happen, has this happened in your past....

SphinYote

Was not finished and for some reason it randomly posted, am continuing my writing in next post.

SphinYote

Level Three:
Look up info online in target language. Start attempting to read, translate. Possibly locate discussion buddy, esp. if trying to learn dialogue (I'm personally more interested in reading skills, so that's my main frame of reference for writing this).

Level four:
More complex writing: Mini-stories about what's happening in card. Elaborate on meaning in target language. Free-associate (difficult if you need a dictionary, but still useful.

Returning to first levels--suggestion: you might place the card on the center of a page, or copy of it--photicopy? Cluster words, pointing to different things in card. Memorize vocabulary that way.

Other suggestions from people? Has anyone tried this? I haven't, I don't have time right now, and I'm less than motivated at times, but I think the idea may have merit and thought I'd throw it on the table for other people.

Yote

Skimo

Hi,

I have worked on my german skills since I have bought the Margarete Petersen deck and the book coming with it in german.

The english translation on the site is really usefull to understand the german version without using a dictionnary (babelfish.altavista.com is also a great help).

Oh, and I am also practicing english right now ;o)

tarot4fun

SphinYote, I'm so glad you posted this. :)
I've been wondering how I could use Tarot to help study another language~

Listing the images and writing a card's description in small sentences is a good start~

Thanks for the ideas!
:heart:

kisou

I was also debating doing something like this myself soon. About a year ago I took about 3 different college level French courses back-to-back and I really don't want to forget what I learned. I was seriously considering buying a Lo Scarabeo or Marseilles-type deck to make sure I always have something in French around me.

I was also considering keeping a separate tarot journal just so I could write my readings in French for practice X_X!

MoonLitCrystal

It's funny, I just thought of this today. I got a new Hanson Roberts deck (a lovely gift from someone here on AT :D) and it has the name of the card in several different languages on the bottom. This is my first deck that has this, so I thought to myself how cool it would be to teach myself at least the numbers and the words for Wands, Swords, etc. Of course I could always expand from there if I want to.

Skimo

kisou said:
I was also debating doing something like this myself soon. About a year ago I took about 3 different college level French courses back-to-back and I really don't want to forget what I learned. I was seriously considering buying a Lo Scarabeo or Marseilles-type deck to make sure I always have something in French around me.

I was also considering keeping a separate tarot journal just so I could write my readings in French for practice X_X!

If you want to practice French, I have read that "La Voie du Tarot" from Jodorowsy was one of the best tarot book available at least in french (and there is no english version of it yet).
With a TdM, it could be a good reason to practice!

Astraea Aurora

Oh my goodness, SphinYote, that's a very good method. :love:

See, I've done this already for now two years as English is only my second language, my native tongue is German. So being an ATF member has helped me a lot with my English skills.

But I haven't even considered this for my other languages!
I learned Russian in school, for seven years - where I can now scarcely remember how I can tell someone my name, where I'm coming from and how old I am. Nothing more. That's so sad because I always like my Russian lessons.
And for practicing Italian (which I have to learn for my job) I have found two Tarot blogs, the one by Paolo Martinello, the other one by Lucia Mattioli. I already read them but I don't really understand what they are talking about. Hopefully this will come when I'm further down the language road, especially verb forms are really tricky.

I don't think that Lo Scarabeo decks lend themself to training on a certain language because you can always cheat easily. I know the card names in Italian but if I'm unsure it's so easy to cheat by looking at the English or German word. The words stand too close to each other to really train. A better option are decks where only one card name is provided so you really have to know or to guess by looking at the picture.

Astraea Aurora :grin:
(who's always open for multi-langual tips)

StellarMyst

I use the Tarot in my language studies too. I'm studying Irish, Welsh, Scottish, and Latin. I'll dabble in one for awhile, and move to one of the others if/when I get stuck. Oddly enough, I have not forgotten nearly as much as I thought I would! Perhaps my methods are a bit odd, but I do retain alot of what I study. My tarot notes are written in the laguages I study at home so I don't have uncomfortable questions thrown at me when I forget to pick up a few tarot notes with company suddenly dropping-by unannounced!