Tarot game pack? Mystic Meg? confused!

Annabelle

How curious.

The only Mystic tarot by Mystic Meg that I know of is this one:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/mystic-meg/

But its packaging is much, much different from the set in the link you posted. I have no idea if its the same set with new packaging, or something completely different. The box cover makes it look like some kind of tarock pack.

Astraea Aurora

Hi Mabuse,

I could imagine it's a normal pack of playing cards entitled as 'Tarot'. Lots of people have only one name for card games ... Tarot. They don't divide them into (real) Tarot, playing cards, Lenormand cards, Kipper cards, Gypsy cards, rune cards, oracle cards etc.

Maybe they used a picture of playing cards for a book about (real) Tarot. Which is irritating. And one could guess that a publisher offering a Tarot set knows at least how Tarot cards look like.

Unfortunately they only say "book and cards" but not how many cards ...

Astraea Aurora :love:

Emily

I've just had a read through the 'look inside' option on Amazon UK and I think its just the Mystic Meg tarot, not the cards that are shown on the front cover, with a book that covers four different types of reading, Love, Life, Luck, and Cosmic Counsel. The pip cards are very plain.

Maybe its just a revamp of the original Mystic Meg tarot, same cards but different book?

Mabuse

Annabelle said:
How curious.

The only Mystic tarot by Mystic Meg that I know of is this one:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/mystic-meg/

But its packaging is much, much different from the set in the link you posted. I have no idea if its the same set with new packaging, or something completely different. The box cover makes it look like some kind of tarock pack.
Yes, it does make look like a Tarock or what the French call the "Tarot à jouer" the standard set of cards used in the French Tarot card game. The invitation to "learn and master one of the world's most challenging card games" leads one to believe that it's an English language guide to this French card game rather than an actual divination Tarot.

Astraea Aurora

Mabuse said:
Yes, it does make look like a Tarock or what the French call the "Tarot à jouer" the standard set of cards used in the French Tarot card game.

Yepp, this is also possible. Forgot that the French name playing cards as Tarot. (Btw, the Austrians also name them Tarock. Funny little thing called foreign language. :) )

Astraea Aurora :grin:

Mabuse

Astraea Aurora said:
Yepp, this is also possible. Forgot that the French name playing cards as Tarot. (Btw, the Austrians also name them Tarock. Funny little thing called foreign language. :) )

Astraea Aurora :grin:
But you do know how to pronounce my user name!
Mah boo zuh, ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0013086/

Astraea Aurora

Mabuse said:
But you do know how to pronounce my user name!
Mah boo zuh, ;)

Hi Mah boo zhe :)

well, I know at least the name ... and after some search at wikipedia I know where I had heard the name before - in history class in 12th grade. Congratulations, you have a really original name - but I hope you don't own such powers like he did in the novel.

Aheem, back to topic ... :D

Astraea Aurora

Debra

I'm confused about the confusion. This appears to be a deck and book set, with the deck being the Mystic Tarot by Caroline Smith--it's listed at the Tarot Garden as "out of print" but perhaps it's not. Tarot Garden shows the exact same World card as the cover of the box on the Amazon you provided here, too.

Debra

Rats. I can't post the TG link, but here's their description and you can find it at their site under "mystic tarot" or "mystic meg"--this copied directly from the Tarot Garden site:
================

Mystic Tarot

Designer(s), Artist(s): Mystic Meg, Caroline Smith
Country of Publication: England
Number of Cards: 78
Publication Year: 1999
Publication Status: Out-of-Print

Description: Divinatory deck-and-book set by the British fortune-teller known as “Mystic Meg.” The cards are a bit of an exercise in style-over-substance, but Caroline Smith's illustrations are pleasing, and very accessible to beginning readers -- the target audience for this particular publication. 78 cards and explanatory softcover book in cardboard box.

Tarot Garden Inventory Class: Unavailable / use the 'Submit Search Request' butto....etc.