Tarot in Movies

card_shark

Red Riding Hood

I finally got around to watching the 2011 version of "Red Riding Hood" (starring the gorgeous Amanda Seyfried), and tarot cards make two brief appearances. The first is when Claude sneaks up on a guard and shows him a card -- which looks to me to be The Tower. Later, Father Solomon (Gary Oldman) holds up The Devil card as proof that someone was engaging in "the dark arts." I wasn't able to figure out which deck was used.

Cheshire

So my flatmate flicked the tv over to "The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy" on Cartoon Network. In the end credits, they have three tarot cards float on screen. Rider Waite style featuring characters from the show. Awesome

Don't know if this was mentioned before

coredil

soylent green

In the science fiction movie "Soylent Green" from 1973 a Girl does a reading with the "T:The New Tarot" deck. One can clearly see that she pulls out the card "The knower".

Richard

A deck of very large Tarot cards is used in one scene in the 1968 movie The Magus, starring Anthony Quinn, Michael Caine, and Candice Bergen. The novel on which it is supposedly based is a modern masterpiece by John Fowles and is one of my all time favorites. They took too many liberties in adapting it to the screen, but it is still worth watching if you like movies with occult themes. The phtography is magnificent.

Blackstar

Don't know if tarot scene from movie "Now and then" was mentioned. Here's a screenshot. :)
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x388/DeltaOrionis/nowandthentrt.jpg

Cards were: 5 of swords, covered by High Priestess, 3 of cups - up, 5 of cups rv (is it?) - left, 10 cups rv - down, page of swords - right.
3 cards on the side were Moon (not so sure about that one, though), Death and 10 of swords.

Luna-Ocean

This film hasn't been mentioned it's a Horror movie called Fright mare a 70's film, quite funny in some parts but what kept me interested was the rather disturbed Tarot reader, nice to see a pre 70's Rider waite deck with the tarten backs, the Celtic Cross was used to entice the poor victims to their deaths and in some parts the card meanings were read quite accuratley.

Yineth

The only major appearance of tarot cards I've seen is in the movie The Red Violin. I believe they were using the RWS but it looked almost like a hand-made deck. Majority of the cards shown were the major arcana. Sorry if this was already mentioned.

Moonson

yesterday i was surprised to see on tv a trailer of a new portuguese movie called "A teia de Gelo" (the ice web) and it shows a scene with tarot cards.
i was like: "Portuguese movie?! and with tarot!? :bugeyed: whaat?!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV_Wdc3uXvI
^ here's the trailer if you guys want to check it out. the tarot image comes on 1.00m
this is the portuguese version, but i heard it has an english version too, if this is true it's an odd thing...
Usually i'm not a fan of our movies, but I'm veeery curious to see this one!

Teheuti

yesterday i was surprised to see on tv a trailer of a new portuguese movie called "A teia de Gelo" (the ice web) and it shows a scene with tarot cards.
i was like: "Portuguese movie?! and with tarot!? :bugeyed: whaat?!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV_Wdc3uXvI
The ubiquitous Death card! I wish they would use the tarot for something other than shock value.

Yineth

The ubiquitous Death card! I wish they would use the tarot for something other than shock value.

Actually, they showed the World in the reversed position and the Reader was flipping over to reveal the Fool. No death card there :)

But I agree with what you're saying. Shock value using Tarot gets old quickly :p