Tarot No Mo'

Sigrdrifa

I'd start a riot and lynch the government :D In the mean time, I work with 78 sheets of paper with my own drawings on them. :D

rylla

If tarot was outlawed, I'd just write cryptic abbreviations for each card on pieces of paper and rely on my memory for the imagery :)

Me too.

nisaba

Individual sugar packets.

Years ago, Grizabella and I joked about doing readings using only sugar packets labelled with card-names, and our own connection to Tarot as a whole without needing images. There's a place for it in this society.

I rather like the idea of doing prohibited readings in cafes, publicly, right under their noses!

KandiSkull

I believe in my own sense of what's right and what's wrong. As long as I don't hurt anyone (harm none!) I feel that regardless of a law I have the right to do as I please. My law and following the gods are what is important. Not the laws of some beaurocrat.

That being said if tarot cards were outlawed I would continue as I have been. Or more most likely, I would do tarot reading right outside congress and dare them to throw me in jail.

SunChariot

I'd like to ask a hypothetical question. What would you do if tarot cards were suddenly outlawed? What if a newly-elected leader of your country had a problem with tarot, because he/she thought it was evil or immoral, etc.? It's specifically tarot that he has issues with. Other kinds of cards are OK, and other forms of divination are OK, too. It's just tarot that bugs him.

So he forces all tarot card companies to shut down. Stores and websites that sold the decks can no longer do so.

No use hanging on to your current stash of decks, because the authorities are coming around door to door with their tarot-sniffing dogs, and every deck you've got with be found and confiscated.

What would you do? Would you replace tarot with another form of divination? Or another pastime? Or would you join a therapy group for people suffering from tarot withdrawal? How would you cope?

I'd probably buy myself one of those Magic 8-Balls. I always thought they were pretty good at telling it like it is. :)

If we are talking only about Tarot and not other types of cards:Oracles, Angel Cards, Lenormands...I would use them for the most part. And still my Runes and Crystal Balls on occasion.

But I would not give up Tarot altogether. I think I would take a set of index cards and write the suits and numbers ....on them in a way that would be clear to me, but hard to understand by anyone else. And use them on occasion. But my readings would be compromised as I read mainly from the images. That would be sad. Tarot has meant a lot to me in my life and taught me so much about life. Too much a part of me and a connection to something greater to give up completely.

Babs

EvaSegovia

First off, there's a game out there called 'Javamancy'. I think I saw it on Etsy. You throw coffee beans onto a board with a whole lot of symbols inscribed on it. I'm assuming it comes with interpretations. Could be fun to do something with dream symbols (or what have you).
Second, I used to play a kind of scavenger hunt where I'd pick a card before going out and try to spot it out in the world. For instance, a kid on a crotch rocket (fast little motorbike) would qualify as the Knight of Swords, etc. I finally quit when I got the Tower. Wasn't sure where on earth I'd find that, until I saw the local headline: 'Man Drives Car Off Cliff'. Right... Anyway, I'd probably reinvent something like this. Divination through the general public? Hope I wouldn't see the Tower though...