Tarot of the Cat People, any one else use this pack?

Obsidian

Hi, I've had Tarot of the Cat People for about 17 years. Does anyone else use this deck?

If so what experiences have you had, any good tips etc.

My deck sort of chose me, I was given a book on Cats in Wicca and the these cards were depicted, because they were American and at a time when imports were hard to find I didn't expect to ever own this deck. Then a few weeks later while wandering through an indoor market some of the very same cards were displayed on a table with some other decks. Had to have a set and at the time the dealer only had the one set.

Since then I've never really bothered to buy another deck.

Look forward to hearing anyones view on this deck.

Regards All

Flidais

I have this deck and just finished reading a wonderful book written by Andre Norton based on the world created by Karen Kuykendall. The book that comes with the deck is also entertaining and really helpful.

I have not done a lot of readings with the deck (I have lots and lots of decks, and some of them get less attention than others). However, I find that when I use Tarot of the Cat People I connect strongly with it and have a fairly easy time interpreting the cards.

Lee

I have a strong affinity for this deck. I can't say I use it very often for readings, but I love the artwork and the accompanying book by Karen Kuykendall.

-- Lee

Genna

I´ve just started using this deck again.It didn´t feel friendly at first,and I traded my first copy.Now it does,and I do love it.The readings I have done have been accurate.
I really like the book it comes with;like a fantasy book in it´s own right.I also love The Baroque Bohemian Cats´Tarot,and Tarot of the Fey;the first has cats on them,thogh with clothes(not really that cruel,it´s trick-photo,luckily,for the cats) ,and the second has sort of the same feeling in them,though maybe not so strict.I feel the Cat People is a kind of a strict deck that really wants you to sit up and take notice.It also has humour.
I hope it never goes out of print.

bladeraven

*whew* was worried that the deck was out of print..it's on my wish list for one day...

Do you feel the deck is good for straight serious readings or more daily...whatever the mood one is in readings?

I fell in love with the artwork and been keeping an eye out for it but seem to keep missing it...Regarding the Traveler's book to the Tarot of the Cat People..can you read it as a standalone until you get the deck or is it recommended to get the deck then the book?

Genna

I checked yesterday,when I ordered one for a friend.Amazon has four copies left,but says more are on the way,They sell only deck and book sets.Amazon.uk doesn´t have it.I think Tarot Garden and Etheria may have it.
You can read the book alone.It´s about how the different tribes of the Cat People live in different Kingdoms.(Diamant,Ruby,Sapphire,Topaz,and Emerald Kingdoms).There are also the stories about the cards,so you that you understand what is going on in them.It´s a warm deck,lovely for cat and other pet owners(but not only for them).Pictures in black and white for each card.
I find it good to study "Understanding the Tarot Court" by Mary K. Greer & Tom Little with,because I don´t have to make up the different regions for the courts.

Genna

I think it is a deck you could use every day,but I haven´t done so yet.I may,now that I´m studying it.Who knows,it might become my main deck,but I think I will always have many main decks,for so many are so lovely,sigh.

bladeraven

Thank you Genna! Will have to check Tarot Garden and Amazon. Hmm...guess that will go down for a christmas wishlist for old Saint Nick to ..well..don't have a chimney so he'll have to use UPS.

hedgecub

I have the Tarot of the Cat People and I can't read with it at all. :( It's been on my trades list for quite some time now, so bladeraven, if you don't mind getting a used deck (the box is a bit the worse for wear but the cards have only been looked through) I'll be more than happy to trade it. :)

Jewel

Like Lee I have always liked this deck, but used it little. I have had it for over 10 years, and will probably never part with it. I loved the accopanying book, and the world that is set up in this deck. If you connect with this or any other deck I think you can do any type of reading you want to, and if you don't want any other decks that is cool too! It is great to know what you like and what works for you.