Tarot of Woof

Pandora MoonRaven

Ok I have finally decided to create a tarot deck. I have thought about it for years but now..im going to do it! I have already outlined what I want each card to be (Majors & fully illustrated minors). I have got the art supplies and I am going to start this weekend. My tarot is going to be in the tradition of say Tarot Du Chat, or The White Cat Tarot meaning "serious" somewhat deck (not copying or like them just that type of deck) however this will be dogs! There are so many animal decks but no dog decks I really enjoy and I love dogs, so does my little baby who loves to look at my cards and loves my dog Norman to the end of the world. I am going to have various breeds of dogs, hand drawn in a more realistic way (Not cartoonish) in various scenes depicting what I have felt in my intuitions of the cards.
I am going to try to match breeds to the meanings of the cards as much as possible. I am also going to mix realistic with legend etc. For instance I am considering the use of Anubis for Death and Wolf for The Moon, St. Bernard for The Empress etc. However I think dog breeds will play a big part in it. For instance I think 3 of cups and I think of 3 dalmations playing and jumping in a meadow. The dalmations I have met are frisky and full of joy.
The suits are going to be fun and match to the dogs such as Wands = Sticks or Fetch Sticks, Cups = Bowls, Swords = Frisbees representing air as well as intellect and sometimes conflict (lost or broken frisbee, frisbee taken away by other dog etc.) Pentacles = Dish of Bones (According to number) Dish will be a pentacle dish with according amount of bones..bones being the material wealth to a dog, something they are proud of and often a reward for hard work.
I want to match seasons with the suits as well as put an astrological symbol with each court card for timelines.
The thing I am undecided on is the court names. I am torn between three formats:
Puppy, Prince, Queen, King
Puppy, Juvenile, Alpha Female, Alpha Male (My favorite format so far)
Puppy (Young or Beginning), Juvenile (Young Adult still half cocked etc), Dog (Adult and coming into thier own,confort in the suit), Pack (This is the embodiment of the suit where everything is cohesive and matured).

So I cant wait to get started on the artwork this weekend. I will be doing colored pencil or watercolor..starting with pencil/charcoal drawings on a small sketch pad. I will then scan and reduce them. I don't really feel like going computer generated since my hand drawn artwork has always been much nicer! I hope to have scans up in the next couple weeks of some beginning cards. :eek:)
I am starting off with The Fool being a Chinese Crested...fun loving, sweet and energetic but if they aren't careful tend to be prone to injury etc. I think they make a good fool.

celticnoodle

oh, it sounds delightful! I also love dogs! we don't have any - as a result of us both having allergies--but I'd suffer through the allergy thingy anyway for a pup child. :D but, we also travel a lot, so right now, i have to be satisfied with spoiling and loving my two granddogs. Johnny Cash and David Coe. :laugh:

I would be very interested in this deck! keep us posted as you go along and good luck! :thumbsup:

Lillie

Having just counted up all the cat decks I could think of, I believe the world needs more dog decks!

Well done :)

Alta

Exactly, as Lillie said! Dogs are every bit as expressive as cats and should make a fine deck.

Pandora MoonRaven

Just how I feel! All throughout history Gods and Goddessess both are associated with dogs. Dogs have over the years been humans friends and companions...sometimes their only friends and companions. Dogs have died for humans. Dogs visit hospitals to mend spirits, they sniff people out of rubble and disasters, take them meds in the wild and even work in the military and the police for us. I can count lots of times when I was hurting over the years as soon as I cry my dog jumps up in my lap and doesn't mind at all when I clutch him and wet his fur with my tears. He just wants to be there for me. So I can't wait to create a beautiful deck in honor of these noble furry people and I really hope to see it through to the end. Thank you for your support!

MoonGypsy

Oh my dear friend! Yes, yes and yes! :thumbsup: i love the idea and how you have planned it thus far! You go girl!!!! :*:*:* Fetch!!!!

Your good friend and sister,
MoonGypsyxxx

ETA: i also like this one [for the court card titles] so far:

Puppy, Juvenile, Alpha Female, Alpha Male

[although, there might be a better name than "Juvenile"...not sure what, though....

Lillie

Pandora MoonRaven said:
Just how I feel! All throughout history Gods and Goddessess both are associated with dogs. Dogs have over the years been humans friends and companions...sometimes their only friends and companions. Dogs have died for humans. Dogs visit hospitals to mend spirits, they sniff people out of rubble and disasters, take them meds in the wild and even work in the military and the police for us. I can count lots of times when I was hurting over the years as soon as I cry my dog jumps up in my lap and doesn't mind at all when I clutch him and wet his fur with my tears. He just wants to be there for me. So I can't wait to create a beautiful deck in honor of these noble furry people and I really hope to see it through to the end. Thank you for your support!

Dog = unconditional love.

And stinky wet fur when they've been out in the rain.

And dog farts...

I love dogs.

kaesrel

I love dogs and yes, the tarot world needs more doggy decks. I'm loving your incorporation of dog breeds into the meanings. I think it gives the deck so much more than just having dogs depicting the meanings.

I can't wait to see the cards. <33!

irisa

Sounds absolutely wonderful! I'll be checking back here <panting> for pics err umm... well yes you know what I mean :D

irisa :)

Mellifluous

Oh, finally! I love dogs. :love: Can't wait to see. Have fun working on it!