tarot on cruises?

fractalgranny

today i had my first "commissioned" public tarot reading and it was great. i've done a few impromptu public readings and really liked that, too.

i'd LOVE to read tarot on a cruise. anyone have any experience with this or ideas as to how to go about it?

AJ

we have cruise ships enmass running up and down your coastline. Why not work up a presentation and present it to them? I'm sure they are always scratching their heads over something new and interesting. Depending on the time spent you could get a discount right up to a paid cruise.

Maybe short hops, Victoria to Skagway, get off, catch the next ship going back south.

edited to add: publishers have 'what to do' to present book ideas on their sites, check the west coast cruise lines websites and see what they have to say.

I'm thinking. What about a travel agency that books cruise tours? I know there are many quilting tours all over the world. Usually 20-50 quilters. All willing to learn, or just sew with other quilters. Let some thoughts bubble :)

minotaur

Get on one of the harbor cruises. These are the local sight-seeing cruises that are two or three hours long. It doesn't take long before boredom sets in and people head to the bar.

That's where you set up. Working for tips is better than charging and will meet no resistance from the cruise line as it isn't out of their pocket. Have business cards as many on these types of cruises are tourists and company people who will want to book you for weekend parties. These are usually done with a handshake as it is short notice.

To have an edge getting on the boat it is better to have a reference than go in cold. You create a reference by going on the cruise as a passenger with a friend. Set up at the bar and do a reading for your friend. If working alone just steer the conversation with the bartender when they ask what you do.

Either way, with or without prodding, the bartender, waitress or bar manager you are talking with will suggest it might be a good idea for the cruise. You agree and then THEY go to their boss with the idea. It is like having an inside friend.

Or you can just go in and pitch the idea. That can work too. Either way short tourist cruises are a potentially good place to do readings.

On longer cruises they might trade out your cruise for some lectures or readings but I don't know anyone that has pulled money out of that type of cruise. Plus with local boat cruises you are home every night.

Just one person's thoughts...

fractalgranny

these are GREAT ideas, especially since i live in vancouver, where we have tons of dinner cruises and also lots of shorter cruises. that would be a great way to start.

nisaba

A friend of mine has his own karaoke setup and regularly goes off on month-long cruises doing karaoke shows for a living.

If I hadn't a long history of dying-by-drowning, I would long ago have asked him how to come on board as a reader. Do you (or anybody you know) work or have family or friends who work in the tourist industry, even in travel agents? They might be able to find contacts for you.

fractalgranny

A friend of mine has his own karaoke setup and regularly goes off on month-long cruises doing karaoke shows for a living.

If I hadn't a long history of dying-by-drowning, I would long ago have asked him how to come on board as a reader. Do you (or anybody you know) work or have family or friends who work in the tourist industry, even in travel agents? They might be able to find contacts for you.

hm, what an interesting idea. i actually know someone who is a customer service trainer for a cruise line - however, she is quite religious ... hmmm ....

celticnoodle

today i had my first "commissioned" public tarot reading and it was great. i've done a few impromptu public readings and really liked that, too.

i'd LOVE to read tarot on a cruise. anyone have any experience with this or ideas as to how to go about it?

oh yes, you can get a job working on a cruise line with tarot. You need to be in touch with the cruise line and apply.

When I was on a cruise ship, my husband, sister & I were sitting in one of the lounges and I recognized the "accent" of the man giving a talk there (though we were sitting around the corner and couldn't see him.) as someone who was from my home town. After his talk, I went up to him and asked him if he was from *name of my home town* and he was! We got to talking and I asked him how he ever got this job? He wrote books about different areas in the world--mostly the Caribbean, and the history of the area, including ghost stories. He had an agent who arranged for him to go onto the cruise ships and his contract made him go twice a year for a week each time. He had to spend a few hours (I think maybe 3 or 4) each day in one of the lounges, giving his talks and he was able to talk about his books there, but not sell them-- if he wished to do so. In return, he got a modest salary--free room and board there on the cruise and had time to get on and off at the ports the ship entered, with the rest of the guests. The room on the ship allowed him to take a guest, and he often took his wife, but that trip she decided not to go with him.

I keep in the back of my mind about this, because when the hubby retires, I would love to be able to do this myself. He did have to go twice a year - so you do have to plan of course, and I believe his contract was for 3 years. But think of the wonderful paybacks with it! I don't think you could charge more money for your readings--it would be part of the bargain there. however, you could give them your business card to have 'repeat' customers! still not a bad deal.

Now, that said, I use to also take my tarot cards with me and I would give tarot card readings to others, if they asked for one. I never approached a person and offered this--they would see me doing the readings and they would ask. Often, rather then for money--I would get a free drink out of it--as on the cruise ship, people rarely carry much money with them--everything they get that is extra, (such as drinks at the bar) they have charged to their room and it is payed for at the end of the cruise.

But, do check out the different cruise lines and see if they are interested. I have also seen cruise ships offering interesting cruise voyages with mediums, tarot card readers, psychics on board. We never went on one of those cruises--but they do exist!