Tarot Personalities?

tarotlaura

I agree that the cards embody the personality of the artist. When an artist draws, paints or whatever, they do it with varying degrees of emotion. You can be totally happy, sad, angry, and frustrated when creating and that comes in the artwork.

That being said, I own 4 decks right now. The RWS deck and I very rarely use that deck any more. I also own the Fenestra deck, the Deviant Moon, and the Faeries' Oracle. I absolutely love the Fenestra deck. It's my favorite not just in the artwork but I love the way it feels in my hand. Holding this deck feels like home to me...and I suppose that that's what a deck should feel like. It reads very well for me. But on the other hand, the Deviant Moon is darker and although it doesn't fit well in my hands, I am more clumsier when shuffling this deck, this one also reads extremely well for me as well. But it's funny when I am in a happier mood I tend to gravitate more towards the Fenestra and when I am sad I grab the Deviant Moon deck. My Faery Oracle is more personal for me. I really don't use this too much for anyone else but me.
So, I do think personality does play out a lot in a tarot deck both in the artist that created the deck and your own. How was your attitude or emotions when purchasing a deck? That could play a lot in the feelings you get when you pick up a certain deck.

dlgriffin04

tarotlaura said:
I agree that the cards embody the personality of the artist. When an artist draws, paints or whatever, they do it with varying degrees of emotion. You can be totally happy, sad, angry, and frustrated when creating and that comes in the artwork.

That being said, I own 4 decks right now. The RWS deck and I very rarely use that deck any more. I also own the Fenestra deck, the Deviant Moon, and the Faeries' Oracle. I absolutely love the Fenestra deck. It's my favorite not just in the artwork but I love the way it feels in my hand. Holding this deck feels like home to me...and I suppose that that's what a deck should feel like. It reads very well for me. But on the other hand, the Deviant Moon is darker and although it doesn't fit well in my hands, I am more clumsier when shuffling this deck, this one also reads extremely well for me as well. But it's funny when I am in a happier mood I tend to gravitate more towards the Fenestra and when I am sad I grab the Deviant Moon deck. My Faery Oracle is more personal for me. I really don't use this too much for anyone else but me.
So, I do think personality does play out a lot in a tarot deck both in the artist that created the deck and your own. How was your attitude or emotions when purchasing a deck? That could play a lot in the feelings you get when you pick up a certain deck.

Hm, I never considered the artists emotions when creating the deck could interfere. That makes sense too, I could see how this could happen. I also feel very comfortable with my revelations deck, also very clumsy with it too though. I think at the time I purchased this deck I was fairly mentally stable. I'm a scorpio so my emotions are constantly like a roller coaster lol. So, I can also see how this can play a part in it as well. Maybe my deck is too filled with my crazy emotions lol.

Amanda

Yeah, Legacy of the Divine Tarot - totally analytical feeling. It feels very calculating and beyond me. Maybe that is the artist coming through.. Gilded doesn't feel like that to me though, there's a bit more of a curiosity with it and happy feel. Hanson-Roberts, I feel like I have a kinship with. It's the closest thing I've felt to my own nature, soft but detailed; a clear-headed personality I guess you could say. And the TT cards... they feel totally whimsical but mysterious to me and I love it.

SunChariot

dlgriffin04 said:
That makes a lot of sense and I kind of wondered too if the art work had anything to do with it. I bought the revelations on impulse....I just saw the side of the box and felt like that was my deck and I had to have it. And I don't buy things on impulse. But I also loved it for the vibrant colors and the fact that the art was done for both upright and reverse. I figured it would help me learn the cards better reversed instead of looking at an upside down picture lol. The art isn't negative or disturbing, but it is darker than my other two decks.

In case this helps, I don't look at upside down cards when I read reversed cards. When I use reversals, I make a list of which cards came up reversed in which positions. Then I upright any reversed cards and start the reading. I don't ever try to read a reversed card upside down. It's enough just to know that it landed that way and to apply the meaning to it. It simplifies things a lot.

Babs

karenquilter

The Guided Hermit said:
...My primary deck is the VIA. I have two of them and they offer different, yet complimentary personalities. My personal VIA (VIA1) is quite masculine in feeling and it hits you over the head with its readings. VIA2 is more sedate, more gentle and more ethereal in its readings.

I highly recommend trying the interview spread that has been provided. This is how I found my VIA :)
What is the VIA?
K

dlgriffin04

Amanda_04 said:
Yeah, Legacy of the Divine Tarot - totally analytical feeling. It feels very calculating and beyond me. Maybe that is the artist coming through.. Gilded doesn't feel like that to me though, there's a bit more of a curiosity with it and happy feel. Hanson-Roberts, I feel like I have a kinship with. It's the closest thing I've felt to my own nature, soft but detailed; a clear-headed personality I guess you could say. And the TT cards... they feel totally whimsical but mysterious to me and I love it.

I didn't know you had legacy of the divine tarot! I want that deck! lol. Yeah, the hanson roberts feels more laid back to me. I don't use that one too much though. Not sure why because it works very well for me. The TT....I don't even know how to describe them besides like I told you before, for me it's like reading in 3d. I'm able to get so much more information and details with this deck then the others ones, but it's probably because of the nature of the cards. I haven't worked with them enough to figure out their personality. But, whimsical and mysterious would be a good way of describing them so far!

dlgriffin04

SunChariot said:
In case this helps, I don't look at upside down cards when I read reversed cards. When I use reversals, I make a list of which cards came up reversed in which positions. Then I upright any reversed cards and start the reading. I don't ever try to read a reversed card upside down. It's enough just to know that it landed that way and to apply the meaning to it. It simplifies things a lot.

Babs

Hm, I never thought of doing it like that before. I just thought the art for the reversals would help me remember what the reversal meaning was about for each card. Thanks for that suggestion though, I'll have to try that out and see how it works for me!