Tarot Pet Peeves?

MariaPeea

So, we love our decks. We love tarot. But don't they just purposefully do things that give you a little tick in your eye sometimes?

I'm so curious to know what everyone's pet peeves are with reading tarot (for THEMSELVES. LOL let's not start ranting about other people quite yet...)

For me, it's the infamous "ask-a-specific-question-but-get-an-answer-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-your-question-but-you-can't-tell-so-you-read-it-wrong." scenario. Like: "How will things go with Billy Bob on the date tonight?"

And tarot answers: You will find someone to love this month who will be your everything so dont worry!

Which looks like: 2 of Cups, The Sun, Lovers (i dunno. Im making this stuff up. LOL)

And you go: WOW WICKED!!

And then you come back from a horrible date, take your deck out and glare at it.

Yah :D

How about ya'll??

Alta

Question: Will I get the job?

Card: RWS 10 of swords. oh no!!!!!

But, I got the job. Finally I decided that the deck was telling me that I was being a drama queen worrying about it. Though too, the first 6 months of the job I had about 10 swords stuck into my back!

gregory

I got - I forget which card it was now - but everything is WONDERFUL, party party yowsers all is fantabulous. Which it WAS NOT.

However - this was a time when we LATER discovered we were reading for ourselves. I had had no idea who the card was drawn for, though I did post when I saw it that it better hadn't be for me ! By the time I knew it was for me - yes, it made sense (I had JUST quit my job that week and felt great !)

Libra8ca

Yes, I too have been totally off with some readings. However, I've found more often than not that if I go back to the reading that the message was there all along and I just didn't pick up on it. I saw what I wanted to see. I've also learned that a positive card is not always super positive and a negative card is not always super negative. You have to relate the symbols to the situation. Being wrong is part of the learning process :D

FaireMaiden

My pet-peeve is that I can't read for myself at all, *sigh*. I'm just never objective enough. If I need to know something, I use hoary astrology... thank god for that!

Mellifluous

Hmm. Giving you the High Priestess when you really don't already know the answer. lol That really does irritate me. I tend not to ask things I know the answer to in the first place.

That thing that happens where you've drawn a certain card recently (enough that you remember it), and you start doing a reading and it just floats across your mind right before you draw the cards that you hope that one doesn't come up again... and that's the very one that you get.

Those rare occasions where you draw a clarifier (instead of sitting with what you've got until it clicks), and the clarifier just couldn't be any more ambiguous or opaque. I'm always thinking, umm, that's not helping, is it? I said, please be clear!

Sometimes when the deck starts telling you to stop asking and move along, it's annoying. Other times - most times - it makes me laugh, but when you really want to know it's kind of frustrating.

When it seems the 'answer', the card you've drawn, is just reflecting your question or situation - and not answering at all - that's pretty annoying. (Seems to happen more in the early years of the tarot journey though, thank god.)

That's all I can think of right now. I try to find things amusing moreso than get frustrated with them, and keep a good attitude, so maybe I'm blocking something out. :joke:

Libra8ca said:
I've also learned that a positive card is not always super positive and a negative card is not always super negative. You have to relate the symbols to the situation. Being wrong is part of the learning process :D

Very wise words! :)

chrissydogz

my pet peeve is how my hanson roberts only gets reversals when somebody else shuffles and all my cards appear upright0.o

lately it doesnt to that as much though.

im guessing the deck needed to get used to someone else's touch?0.o

shadowdancer

I think for me it is when you only have a few cards in a spread, yet you get court, after court after court etc. I am okay with courts, but come on guys, why do you feel the need every now and then to totally monopolise a reading?? You sit there all smirky looking at me, challenging me (if I dare) to cover you with a clarifier. And you know what?? I rarely do. I acknowledge they have a right to be there, but quietly grumble (behind their back of course) once they are put back in the deck, and the deck has been safely put away.

Davina

gregory

FaireMaiden said:
My pet-peeve is that I can't read for myself at all, *sigh*. I'm just never objective enough. If I need to know something, I use hoary astrology... thank god for that!
Ah yes - that too. But I either get someone else to read for me, or (if it's a decision) toss a coin, which always works ! See if I'm disappointed !

nisaba

The point of hanging out at AT would be that there are always plenty of readers around, I suppose.

I'm peeved that I can order my collection perfectly when I take the Massive Effort to sort through them - then the next time I want a perfectly simple deck, it takes *ages* to find it!