Tarot Therapy concerns

Milfoil

Yes, I think that as long as we don't actually copy or completely plagurise the entire document, the essentials are worth re-wording for tarot purposes.

Teheuti

Milfoil said:
Another small concern I would have is in regard to standardising such a therapy. What deck 'should' be used? . . .
I could imagine a new 'therapy' deck being designed or at the very least a list of generally accepted decks with their generally accepted card meanings.
It seems to me that this would only be necessary if Tarot were put forth as the new TAT or Rorschach. Rather than it being a mere substitute (which I don't think it will ever succeed at doing), it should be looked at as opening up new areas of possibility that include much more flexibility. Sandtray therapy did this to some degree. For instance, there's no fixed set of figurines that you have to use (although there are "wet trays" and "dry trays").

For research purposes it is usually necessary to eliminate as many variables as possible - so for formal experiments in effectiveness a particular deck might be chosen, or there could be an experiment that compares the effectiveness of several different decks. But, that's still a ways down the line.

Mary

Teheuti

Like Alison, I found the Personal Moral Qualities section of the Ethical Framework interesting. In fact, it seemed to match Elven's list of necessary qualities given in the definition section.

"Originally Posted by Elven
One thought I had about therapy was ... (and its not a spiritual/clinical version )

Love is therapy. Truth is therapy, Forgiveness is therapy, Understanding is therapy. Compassion is therapy."

I think this makes it clear that Elven's list is clearly important to therapy, even if not actually it's definition.

Mary

Grizabella

My concern is that people are going to rush into becoming a Tarot Therapist without thorough knowledge of pscyhology. At the very, very least they'd need to have enough knowledge of psychology to pick up on the subtle---and I stress subtle---symptoms and signs of serious mental disturbance in a potential client and the common sense to refer them elsewhere to a really qualified person if necessary. Anyone can see the obvious signs---but there are subtle signs and without a proper education in psychology, the "tarot therapist" can do a lot of harm and put themselves in danger as well.

goddessof1967

Teheuti said:
. Mental health professionals mess it up all the time. We all just do the best we can. But we can get better at it.Mary
I wouldn't say all the time, they have helped me alot and I have also helped plenty as a counsellor but I definitely agree that there are plenty of instances where they do. The thing is though, that if we are talking about a tool to assess a querant's mental health status in order to cover ourselves against litigation, we are going to have no leg to stand on in a court of law if the tool we use hasn't been validated. We need to be realistic and work within the boundaries of the real world law as well as occult law.

My concern is, if we are getting down to nitty gritties which is good to do to iron out wrinkles, that certain people who call themselves Tarot readers who have very little insight into the workings of the human mind or just society in general (there are plenty of them) could take the title and run with it creating all sorts of havoc. So yeah, 'suggestions for good boundaries' is a great idea.

G :)

Grizabella

Milfoil said:
Another small concern I would have is in regard to standardising such a therapy. What deck 'should' be used?

This is a very good point. There are decks that definitely shouldn't be used by someone trying to be a "therapist" who hasn't got a formal education in psychology.

Elven

Laws in every State and country are different. But Laws can be changed. Most laws allow existance of a type of practise, by setting boundaries around a framework by which you can place it within.

It was not that long ago - and still is in some cases - where Hypnotherapy was considered as hocus pocus ... "he'll make you act like a chicken" ... :p In Australia it has usually taken the money and ingenuity, time and hard work and research, often by individuals who have had to go another path to get Therapists status, to practise Hypnotherapy as their major tool.

In an instance, to get Hypnotherapy creditation to teach and certify, 'just' a Hypnotherapist - it takes submissions to the Government boards, overseeing bodies, the gaunlet of insurances.

You may see that most documents pertaining to Code of Ethics, have more text in them related about what to do if something goes wrong, than how to do it right. Pages of process of how to mediate and fix the problem if you are going to be sued.

I have been down this law changing path before, related to 'illegal' as to opposed to changing a status, with success, and it is a mine field.

When you start getting into definite codes of practise - you are setting cement boundaries - absolutes in a way.

I suggest a Standard of Best Practises, if its not going to be covered by a 'governing body' of sorts, because it allows growth as opposed to rigidity around the issue of whats acceptable.

There will always be a other aspects and side fields which will be less conforming. Take for example the hypnotherapist that will turn you into a chicken, (in front of 200 people who have paid to see him perform) and the Hypnothera[ist that resides in the top floor suite in the city who is doing past life regression therapy, with enough certificates to wall paper the room. To each, both are skilled in what they are doing, and both possibly earn a good living from their 'profession'.
Both 'can' operate under best practise regulation, but maybe not associated with the same governing body - one belongs to actors equity with a certificate in hypnotherapy, and the other belongs to The Association of Applied Hynotherapy and is the priciple director of teaching.

We can look to other associations for guidelines, but I think to truely hold the realm, we have to look at Tarot in all its forms.

It will be less beneficial to tunnel Tarot into a corner without considering the many applications and diverse applications Tarot can/is used in, than to approach one angle and leave the others to flounder and be 'less legitimate'.

I have seen this happen with other such industries. While one end of the spectrum runs with the ball and the financial backing, certificates, and all the research, another area is left behind, and 'seemingly, in the process' is deemed 'less legitimate'.

With Tarot this could be the case if applied with Therapy.
What happens to the 'reader' without all the qualifications?

Mostly, when professions decide to become 'professional' or used in a 'professionsl realm' - one thing that happens is the costs rise. Costs for being considered a 'professional' such as training and certification, costs to insurance, costs to the overseeing body and associaions, costs to the client.
The Tarot Reader who sits at the cafe and reads - with their Tarot tools - could find themselves being pushed down the line and into the 'chicken' category - not by the quality of what they do, but by the rise in standard where the Tarot is being certified and it being used in other realms.

This is where we then see break away and fracturing happening.

I know I have possibly gone out of the realm of the topic here, but in a sense, I'm projecting the variables which (through experience) I am aware of.

I hope some of these things are considered.

Blessings Elven x

Elven

Milfoil & Solitaire said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milfoil
Another small concern I would have is in regard to standardising such a therapy. What deck 'should' be used?

This is a very good point. There are decks that definitely shouldn't be used by someone trying to be a "therapist" who hasn't got a formal education in psychology.

To add to that, if associations or therapist design or use a standaridzed form of Tarot strictly available to their members, or teach strictly under their set of knowledge, touting that 'their' tools offer the best form of therapy, and is the revolutionary best tool, how does this then not upset the balance in some way to Tarot? There becomes and 'exclusive' aim as oppossed to an 'inclusive' aim in using Tarot therapeutically.

Alison Cross

Further back in this list, there were concerns raised that if Tarot DOES turn out to be a tool that therapists can legitimately use then it might be whipped out from our hands and into a clinical setting.

My Tarot history is a bit ropey, so forgive me if I'm wrong (please put me right! :)) but Tarot was not created as a divinatory tool, was it? So, if it wasn't created for divinatory purposes, then we can't be precious about it being used in another way, can we?

Secondly, hypnosis up until a decade or so ago was pretty much the area of stage entertainers. Now it is a well-respected therapeutic tool....and there are still loads of stage entertainers using it. It wasn't absorbed into the realms of clinical 'therapy'. In fact, one of the biggest beneficiaries of this move from the end of the pier to the therapist's couch IS a former stage hypnotist called Paul McKenna.

Any thoughts?

AX

Aoife

Its extremely unlikely.... I'd go so far as to say, it ain't gonna happen.... that professional therapists will try to comandeer the use of tarot, and that this would have damaging implications for tarot readers.

I'm convinced this concern can be laid to rest.