Tarot: Trust and Fear

AstaCakes

Ok, so I have a fundamental problem which is stopping me both using and learning from Tarot: what if I get it wrong, do something under a misinterpretation, and really regret it. I'm fine doing readings for others, fine doing simple daily spreads or "advice for going out tonight" draws etc, but can't bring myself to do a reading about something really important to me. For example, just now I'm a little down about my long term relationship with my boyfriend, what if I do a spread which seems to say that it isn't going anywhere, the best is over, I get the Tower, 10 of Swords, the lot, and I call the whole thing off, which then turns out to be a very bad mistake. Or I ignore the advice and keep chugging on, but have doubts in my mind for that moment on.

I guess my question is, if it looks like Tarot tells you something against your better judgement, would you do it? Have you ever ignored a piece of advice you didn't like, or have you ever been too frightened to do a reading?

Please note, I know this is quite a negative post, I apologise :| I'm more asking how to overcome personal anxiety and trust issues, and if I can get good advice anywhere I'm sure AT is the place :D

Edited to add: Inspired loosly by this thread.

Le Fanu

I would never, ever do something which I thought tarot was "advising me to do". Either against my better judgement or not. Often I do readings, interpret the advice and ignore it anyway. I'm always doing this!

But then I'm like that. I ask for advice - tarot, friends - and invariably go against it. :p

I also begin to think that perhaps I don't believe tarot that much...

If I was in a happy relationship and got the Tower and 10 of Swords on a relationship issue, I'd just scoop up the cards and forget about it.

214red

I trust my instincts more then tarot, if there is a conflict it wins hands down, I have been taught that lesson a few times

AstaCakes

Thank you! This is good to know. Maybe I just need to lighten up a little... I've been reading on/off for four years, but doing something vaguely important still gives me butterflys in my stomach :x

214red

Tarot is not a decision maker, its a tool , it gives you insight, but doesnt tell you want to do. tarot should never control you, it should empower you

Noelle

AstaCakes said:
Have you ever ignored a piece of advice you didn't like?

Yes ... many years ago ... that my friend (at the time) would deceive me. BIG mistake. In my heart I knew something wasn't right and I even ignored a telling dream, as well as the cards. The cards were right! Bottom line though - I didn't trust my own instincts.

ncharge

When I was engaged my husband, I did a reading on our relationship and what our marriage would be. The answer was very, very clear - if I married him I would not have the partner I wanted and I would bear most of the burden of our lives (Oh, I remember staring at the 10 of wands!). Definitely not what I wanted to hear and I ignored it (refused to believe it) because I love him and his love for me was just as strong. I married him anyway. And you know what? The cards were right. But this is a strong happy marriage, and I can't imagine life without him. I want to beat him about the head sometimes and yell "step up to the plate!" But the love is strong even when I'm imagining smacking him over the head. After 11 years, he still makes me laugh like nobody else. Follow your instincts.

Sinduction

I don't believe tarot can tell you what you should do.

They aren't biased. They will tell you where you are headed and give suggestions about how to go another way, if the way you're going isn't the way you want to go.

Carla

Sinduction said:
I don't believe tarot can tell you what you should do.

They aren't biased. They will tell you where you are headed and give suggestions about how to go another way, if the way you're going isn't the way you want to go.

Spot on. Even if you got a terrible reading about your marriage, the tarot could just be saying, this is how it will be if you don't grow up a little. Or something like that. I would never make any decision or base any action based solely on what I thought the tarot said.

NikkiB

agree here and if i dont like the outcome i would prob do a reading saying how can i change this as often it is about a learning experiance for me....

tarot to me is a valued tool that i love and respect but it is dependant on a lot more, the cards could be right but as ncharge shows it doesnt mean you would want to change your course of action... also it is how you word the question and alternative... one of the reasons i never anymore just pull one card because there isnt any balance around it, no buts or maybes in one card...