tasteful .... or not?

Gennai

This is about whether there are any decks you would not use on face to face readings, and why. I have been drawn to several decks I've come across on the net and on AT over the last couple of months, including the Archaeon Tarot. I can be a bit of an English mid life prude, but I don't seem to mind the nudity from this deck, however I've only browsed the net images as of yet.

So guys, are there decks which you love but wouldn't dig out for a face to face reading, and if so, why...

And what decks are you most comfortable and trusting with f2f?

I think some people may not be comfortable with the images on traditional RTS decks and I've heard some readers take out for example the Devil and Death cards in f.2.f. readings, so it will be interesting to hear your replies. Thanks!

nisaba

I'm waiting on a copy of the MAnara Erotic deck, which I expect in the next two days. We;ll see how I feel about that one but I know for sure it won't be displayed where minors can see it when I'm working.

Le Fanu

Gennai said:
I've heard some readers take out for example the Devil and Death cards in f.2.f. readings

Blimey, now that´s what I call censorship!

To be honest, tacky decks would offend the friends I read for much more than nudity of any sort.

If I did a reading with some of the decks around Id never live it down...

Owl Song

I'm waiting for a copy of the Lo Scarabeo Dream Enchantress Tarot. Based on the scans I've seen recently, I doubt I will be using this one very often in face to face readings. Definitely not going to be for everyone.

My favorite face to face reading deck is the Tarot of Prague. There's something so classic about it. And the imagery appeals to most people. It's just such a fantastic all-around deck. I feel fluent when I read with it and there is never any lack of imagery/ ideas to discuss.

KSPisces

Gennai said:
I think some people may not be comfortable with the images on traditional RTS decks and I've heard some readers take out for example the Devil and Death cards in f.2.f. readings, so it will be interesting to hear your replies. Thanks!

That's interesting. To me it almost seems contradictory to consult/read something such as Tarot, while removing major arcana cards. Especially in the case of the two cards mentioned, where I fully believe the artistry of the cards is meant to grab the querents attention and make an impact.

IMO, it would be the equivalent of going to a psychic but giving them a lobotomy first. ;)

Though I suppose those cards would just manifest in other ways... I mean if the cards have a message to get across, they're going to do it one way or another. But still... I think I would really be bothered to not be playing with a full deck. (HA HA HA... pun intended!!!)

SunChariot

Well I don't read face to face but if I did the only 3 of all my Tarot decks I wouldn't be comfortable reading with are my erotic decks (the Manara as Nisaba said, the Decameron and especially the KamaSutra)

As for removing cards from a deck before doing a reading, like the Devil and Death, I would never do that. You may as well not be bothered as the answer to teh question may well be one of those cards and you are limiting the deck by removing the chance of them coming up. I do have decks with less threatening versions of the cards and if I was really worried that someone could not handle those cards, for whatever reason, I would use one of them.

Umbrae

Gennai said:
I am aware of one group of folks who do this for corporate and/or party functions. This same group of readers would never do this in private f2f readings.

ruski_svet

The few f2f readings I've done were with the Russian, Visconti, Housewives...pretty safe decks.
I did bring the Llewellyn to Harry Potter night (certain large bookstore) because it's a vibrant deck and pretty safe visually, especially with all the kids around. One of the little girls did pull the High Priestess and only later did I remember she's topless hahaha. No complaints from anyone, they really loved it.

2_Journey

Gennai said:
This is about whether there are any decks you would not use on face to face readings, and why.

I think it really depends on the context/querant for the readings. For example, I know the Bohemian Gothic is an amazing deck, but some of my friends would just not get it. They would see movie monsters and so forth and would just start giggling, as in: "I'm supposed to get a reading with that?? Meanwhile, I have another group of friends where that deck would be perfect.

For me, deck choice has nothing to do with whether or not a deck is tasteful and everything to do with what my querant would respond to.

Shade

Anything with cats in the title. Cat people, cat costumes, catstrology... no go. One or two sprinkled throughout is fine but when it becomes the central theme I would be embarrassed to use it for readings.

To be fair I am certain some readers would never use the fey (one of my faves) because it's too "cute"