Templar-cross and other symbols

Huck

I search for Templar symbols ... only early, pre 1314 pictures are interesting.

Of special interest is the cross, which in "modern views" of templars is a "red cross"

http://www.knighttemplar.org/Templar Supplicant.jpg

... and here not. The picture is of the Westminster Psalter (ca. 1250).

The purpur-export-city is in the region, where the crusaders had their aim. Did the Templars take a "red cross" cause they had access to purpur? Had the usual European painter of medieval times a red colour? Or was it "very expensive"?

srgnosis

I'm afraid I don't know much about the Templar Cross, as it how it was made or worn.

I do know, in respect to symbolism, that the Templar Churches were Round rather than shaped like a Cross. I know the circle had some specific symbolic meanings for them, but don't remember at the moment what they were.

Huck

srgnosis said:
I'm afraid I don't know much about the Templar Cross, as it how it was made or worn.

I do know, in respect to symbolism, that the Templar Churches were Round rather than shaped like a Cross. I know the circle had some specific symbolic meanings for them, but don't remember at the moment what they were.

Well, it seems, that the typical templar cross might occaionally be a little rounded at its legs - at least its lines are on the edge broader than in its middle.

srgnosis

Resources

About the only book I've read on the subject is "Dungeon, Fire, and Sword" by John J. Robinson. No pictures (or perhaps few pictures), but a really good history of the Templars and the Crusades.

It is an interesting subject.

Huck

srgnosis said:
About the only book I've read on the subject is "Dungeon, Fire, and Sword" by John J. Robinson. No pictures (or perhaps few pictures), but a really good history of the Templars and the Crusades.

It is an interesting subject.

... likely true ... but we search for an answer, if the templar cross had a specific outfit and still would have been recognized as "templar cross" at the time of mid 15th century.

Just an iconographical question.

Ross G Caldwell

Huck said:
... likely true ... but we search for an answer, if the templar cross had a specific outfit and still would have been recognized as "templar cross" at the time of mid 15th century.

Just an iconographical question.

Here's a page that shows several varieties of crosses used by the Templars -
http://www.templiers.net/symbolique/croix.php

About the only consistency is that they are all equal-armed.