Templar - Eight of Cups

Wendywu

Whatever was in the cups, however appealing and no matter how great the pull of those cups, the time has come to spend a little while away from them. This might involve an actual physical time alone, or giving oneself a little more mental space, freedom and time for thinking. It could be time for a radical new approach to life – a leaving behind of all that has been known and loved, or possibly a change in ideas, career or approach to certain aspects of our world. Most likely, given that we are dealing with cups, is a change in a relationship. Not necessarily with a lover – this could be a change in a friendship or business partnership. It could be the ending of one relationship and walking towards another. Or just walking away because being alone would be better than staying in an unfortunate relationship where it is so empty (look at all those empty cups).

Eight corresponds with the Major Arcana for Strength (or Justice depending on your pov). I can see that it would take a great deal of emotional strength to walk away from a situation – especially a long term relationship, be it friendship, partnership or employment. The figure appears to be marching off up the road towards nothing – this would be very scary and take a lot of courage. All the cups are in one cluster on the card – to me it seems that she walks away from a particular relationship/situation which has many facets or advantages and very few seeming disadvantages. (But to her the disadvantages are obviously serious – or consider that she walks to what she hopes will be a better future).

The eighth Sephiroth, Hod, occurs on the Pillar of Severity on the Tree of Life and so I tell myself that this is not going to be an easy thing for her to do by any means. But if, after considered thought, it seems to her to be the right (not just personally desirable) course of action then, no matter its difficulty, she should go for it.

Eight is a number of balance but it achieves that by having a set formation of two halves that mirror each other. I therefore think that to ignore the need to leave would mean having to conform to a very particular set of circumstances which may or may not be attractive to the querent.

On looking more closely at the image I see that there are in fact two paths behind her, then there is a little mound that the supports the cups, and then the two paths unite and continue together as one. I conclude that there comes a point where a decision has to be made – all roads lead to that point in time where the only option (if she wants to keep to her path) is to leave the cups behind.

It is not really a difficult card – the image displays its story well. And whilst the number Eight can apply to Strength or Justice depending on style of deck, in this deck the eighth Major Arcana is Strength and so I have looked at this card on that basis.