The 2 of wands and 3 of wands

ironmama

their backs fully turned....

just a thought as i was reading these posts, that also in the 8 of cups, the person is walking away, with their back turned... however the situation there means more of an ending, whereas the 3 of wands a beginning...

Abrac

The Golden Dawn gave these two cards the titles, The Lord of Dominion and The Lord of Established Strength respectively. I have noticed that most, if not all, of the RWS minors follow the GD meanings, if not the imagery. The difference between Dominion and Established Strength is subtle, but Smith did a nice job of illustrating it.

moonmorgan

The two of wands, for me, has always indicated managed choices, having 'the whole world' in your hands, and deciding what you're going to do about it,

The three seems to be a more single minded (blinkered?) attitude, but with lots of variables around to (possibly) confuse issues.

moon_shadow

I am glad I found this thread!! :D I was studying the Wands, and had the very same question about 2 of Wands and 3 of Wands.

*edited*

Summersnowflake

I know the 3 of wands is considered a positive card, but the imagery strikes me just the opposite. I suppose it's because the man's back is turned, and his head is bare. It just doesn't look real auspicious to me. He's watching the ships come in, but I get the feeling those aren't his ships!

To me the 2 of wands is a hopeful card, but the 3 of wands might mean accepting that the thing you're hoping for may not come to pass. The blast of yellow you get from this card is very intense, maybe the force of the realization that it's time for plan B.

Richard Pickman

3 of Wands: to me, this card has sometimes suggested a sense of wistfulness, of longing, of sadness.

litldevil

Just my musings on these cards...... 2 of Wands, the figure in this card holds the world in his hands, yet he doesn't look at it. IMO he looks right past it towards the horizon. This card has always had the "itchy feet" feel for me. Despite having "the world" in his hands it's till not enough. The figure has taken a moment to view the possibilities on the horizon from a high and safe vantage point ( I always think he's on the top of a castle turret for some reason) Now in addition to this, someone has fastened one of those wands to the wall. When the figure moves on will he take it? His hands are full already? For me, this symbolises the desire for something more, to move on, certainly it cropped up in personal readings at the time I was considering a move abroad to work in a foreign country. I already had a nice home and good job but somehow it wasn't enough.

If we consider the wand that may be left behind, it further suggests to me that should the person decide to leave what he has, to search new possibilities, that it may not be as easy as he or she thinks, the wand is a tie to the past. Often, in order to move on we have to sacrifice something and this is how I see the fastened wand. It has had to be left behind in order to allow the person to address that feeling of "itchy feet".

I always question the 3 and look to surrounding cards to help make sense of it. As we can only view the back of the figure we have no idea if he still holds the world. He is certainly pre-occupied with looking at something in front of him. I'm never sure if he's still looking at the horizon or if he's considering the "how to do it" aspect. He still holds onto 1 wand but is appears not for support, this time the remaining 2 are firmly planted. It's taken determination, will and strength to place those wands into that ground. Once again the figure has taken a high vantage point, possibly to check out the potential obstacles or hazards between him and the place he looks towards. Are the ships his? Does he just long to join them? is he waiting for them to return? Could he be waiting to embark them? There is also a feeling of him being unable to look completely to the future. We cant see his face and have no idea what he's really focussed on, if anything. This could possibly be a person who is very much "in the moment" but isn't yet aware of the long term implications of what he or she is about to put into motion.

Whilst the 2, for me, is about wishful thinking and longing, the 3 is about taking the steps to make it happen. Careful consideration and an awareness of the energy that will be required to see it through successfully. This is a person who is considering all the potentials but is determined to make it happen.

Just a few musing and ramblings from the depths of my mind ;-)

JohnOdin

The Two of Wands I found to be a litte sinsister-its the way the wand is held captive by the metal bracket. The "Merchant" in the card holds the world in his right hand and a Wand in his left hand yet he still cannot let the other wand go. He didn't get where he was, by being "nice". I get a "greedy" vibe off the card.
The Three of Wands i'm more comfortable with, The 3 of wands is a informed choice made by weighing up options 1 and 2 and coming up with 3, some would call this a compromise but to me its a best of both worlds scenario. whereas the 2 of Wands is a Either/Or choice.
Personally I don't see it as the same character in both cards, in the 2W its a Merchant type character, in fur's hat and boots, in the 3W its a more coulorfull character, more reminscent of the Fool. Theres also a "sunset" feel to the 3W, the sun is setting, the day is at a and, the journey is at a end. With the 2W its got more of a Autumunal/Winter feel to the card-there are no ships on the sea, there is no travelling, the sea is empty and dead.

ofbainbridge

2 of Wands Planning ones ambitions...
3 of Wands Beggining to carry out ones ambitions...