The 9 of Swords Rx as Advice for Letting Someone Go?

Enlightenment23

Although a certain man in my life isn't good for me, I just can't seem to let him go. I have romantic interest in him, but he has his eyes set on someone else. He strings me along -- and I let him.

So in a self-created "Time to Let You Go" 7-card spread, I got the 9 of Swords reversed for advice on how I can move on from him.

What on earth does that mean? Is it a negation of the 9 of Swords card? Perhaps it's telling me to not be so conflicted about it? To not beat myself over it?

I pulled out a clarification card and I got the 8 of Cups reversed. I am sure the cards aren't telling me to stick around, suffer, not have the ability to move on -- like the 8 of Cups Rx suggests. I am already learning that when I get reversals for advice cards, it's telling me to do the opposite? It's telling me that it's time to move on from the unhappiness and cut ties, no?

Inana

Hi there,

I don't do reversals, but another way to read them instead of having the opposite meaning is as blocked energy. Energy that is need to be worked to make it flow.This could fit in the situation you are describing.

Which deck are you using?

Enlightenment23

Hi there,

I don't do reversals, but another way to read them instead of having the opposite meaning is as blocked energy. Energy that is need to be worked to make it flow.This could fit in the situation you are describing.

Which deck are you using?

RWS. It's difficult to really think of unblocking the energies of 9 of Swords as advice. It's a nasty ol' card, really. So that's why I'm just using a little discernment in thinking that the cards are asking me to take the opposite aspects of card -- not be a total crybaby over the matter lol.

illyria

Hi, Enlightenment123.

I would read this, quite literally, as "Wake up!"

I'm not big on reversals either, but in this position, the Nine of Swords seems to be saying that the worries and anxieties about your romantic interest can be addressed if you truly face the reality of the situation and move on. Given your description, it seems you're already in this mind space. It's all a matter of taking action, because any blockage with regard to taking the necessary steps forward is all in your head.

Enlightenment23

Hi, Enlightenment123.

I would read this, quite literally, as "Wake up!"

I'm not big on reversals either, but in this position, the Nine of Swords seems to be saying that the worries and anxieties about your romantic interest can be addressed if you truly face the reality of the situation and move on. Given your description of the situation, it seems you're already in this mind space. It's all a matter of taking action, because any blockage with regard to taking the necessary steps forward is all in your head.

Hello there Illyria,

Yeah, I totally agree. In fact, I'm surprised the 7 of Cups Rx didn't show up. I know that he's not a good man, especially to women, but for some reason, I overlook it for his lovelier qualities. So it would make a lot of sense of the card was saying, "Wake up! Slap yourself out of this funk and realize he's doing you a favor by casting you aside."

With the 8 of Cups, I think the cards are thinking about what I'm thinkin': Time to let go and move on.

Inana

RWS. It's difficult to really think of unblocking the energies of 9 of Swords as advice. It's a nasty ol' card, really. So that's why I'm just using a little discernment in thinking that the cards are asking me to take the opposite aspects of card -- not be a total crybaby over the matter lol.

I understand, nobody likes 9 of swords. Energy can be unblocked in many different ways. One of them is applying it as an action. Another way is letting go the energy we are holding back so it can dissolve. Some people also read reversals as if the energy of the card was weaker that in the upright position.

These two cards could be telling you to take some time at your own, gain some distance to analyze the whole situation, then decide what you want to do and which direction to move on. This process may be painful, so don't be too hard on yourself.

laurence

9 of Swords clarified with 8 of cups rv as advice could indicate that you need to allow yourself to grieve a little once and for all. Accept and aknowledge your vulnerability for a while will trigger the process of letting go.
I mean do not force yourself to let go, if you want to cry, just do It. Besides the idea of "grieve", those 2 cards advise you to take the time to work on your patterns and mistakes constructively. Do not bypass the healing process. Then It will be easier to let go.

Enlightenment23

I understand, nobody likes 9 of swords. Energy can be unblocked in many different ways. One of them is applying it as an action. Another way is letting go the energy we are holding back so it can dissolve. Some people also read reversals as if the energy of the card was weaker that in the upright position.

These two cards could be telling you to take some time at your own, gain some distance to analyze the whole situation, then decide what you want to do and which direction to move on. This process may be painful, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Thank you for the quick look at some of the ways energies can be unblocked. As strange as the 9 of Swords can be, I think you're correct -- the cards are telling me to spend some time alone and just reflect. Allow myself to take it all it and then finally take steps to see where I can to go with this "situationship."

:thumbsup:

Enlightenment23

9 of Swords clarified with 8 of cups rv as advice could indicate that you need to allow yourself to grieve a little once and for all. Accept and aknowledge your vulnerability for a while will trigger the process of letting go.
I mean do not force yourself to let go, if you want to cry, just do It. Besides the idea of "grieve", those 2 cards advise you to take the time to work on your patterns and mistakes constructively. Do not bypass the healing process. Then It will be easier to let go.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I always tell myself, "Big girls don't cry." Because truthfully, I'll be damned if I cry over a man lol. I am afraid to be vulnerable because that means I have allowed someone else to hurt me. And I suppose I've been skipping the grieving process because I don't want to acknowledge I've been wronged. I think this is exactly what the card is trying to tell me in this spread.

I need to heal.

Thank you. And great interp! :heart:

Tiggy-cat

Hi! This has already been said kind of in a different way but I'd see these 2, reversed, as basically meaning "don't be afraid to walk away. Stop agonizing and fearing what might happen if you turn around and go".

I see the 9/S as fear and agony so reversed would suggest to stop that. And the reversed 8/C I'd see as the blocked potential of walking away, although you've recognized the need for it.